• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

homemade laundry detergent

Agent Jelly

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
I was wondering if anyone else does this. I just decide to make a batch out of what items I had lying around the house. I'm hoping its effective.... Making your own laundry detergent is environmentally friendly, hypoallergenic, and saves you some money. From the research I have done a commercial brand is 21 cents a load, and this is 1-5 cents a load. 3 easy ingredients

borax
washing soda
bar soap

you can also use oxyclean or biz for more stain fighting.

http://www.diynatural.com/simple-easy-fast-effective-jabs-homemade-laundry-detergent/

Agent Jelly

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
BREAKING NEWS!!!

I just used my homemade detergent and it worked better than the store bought! my whites are a lot whiter than usual! yayyyy

1/2 irish spring bar
1/4cup baking soda
1/4 cup borax

Gish

Which side are you on?
MBTI Type
PTSD
How is buying products that have been baked in the giant industrial furnaces of a factory and then grinding them up environmentally friendly?

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
how long did it take you? More than ~20 cents' worth of time?

also if you buy detergent on sale and/or buy the cheaper brands, it's a lot less than 21 cents a load. Especially if you add coupons into the mix.

edit: I checked and my bottle of cheap detergent claims 48 loads (I'm sure it's less) and cost 2$ on sale (regular price 3$). Even at the regular price that's 6 cents a load and without any time at all - and it works fine, it's just soap. If you watch for good sales and use coupons you can easily get tide or sunlight for 3-4$ or even less. I never buy tide at regular price for 7-9$, that's absurd.

(canadian prices)

Agent Jelly

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
I can't say I'm a very eco friendly person. But when looking for recipes on how to make laundry soap the majority of sites said "eco friendly", or "green" laundry soap. You can google yourself if you're extremely curious, I am not. Making the "trial" batch took like 2 minutes, I just wanted to see if it would work. I am pregnant and due with my daughter Oct. 12th, I don't know if you have ever looked at the prices for "dreft" or other infant laundry soaps but it is redonk! I can make homemade laundry soap for a lot cheaper and know exactly what goes in it. Currently I use All, but if the baby turns out to be super sensitive I will be making my own laundry soap.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
huh, I had no idea babies need (?) special laundry soap. I've never noticed such a product for sale before, although to be fair I've never looked!

you can usually get fragrance and dye-free soaps (which I prefer) in the generic brands though, I guess depending what's available in your area.

Agent Jelly

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
huh, I had no idea babies need (?) special laundry soap. I've never noticed such a product for sale before, although to be fair I've never looked!

you can usually get fragrance and dye-free soaps (which I prefer) in the generic brands though, I guess depending what's available in your area.

they can. some babies have very sensitive skin. my husbands sister and mother are both allergic to commercial laundry detergent. They make their own.

Starry

BREAKING NEWS!!!

I just used my homemade detergent and it worked better than the store bought! my whites are a lot whiter than usual! yayyyy

1/2 irish spring bar
1/4cup baking soda
1/4 cup borax

What do you do with the irish spring bar? Do you grate it up or something? I know you know this...but irish spring might be a little irritating to a baby's skin. Have you tried other soaps in this recipe? Did it work?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
What do you do with the irish spring bar? Do you grate it up or something? I know you know this...but irish spring might be a little irritating to a baby's skin. Have you tried other soaps in this recipe? Did it work?

I would not even try using Irish Spring on baby clothes. Ivory bar soap and yes you grate it on a manual box grater. This doesn't work great in places that have hard water, you have to use a lot more of it. Which defeats the purpose.

Starry

I would not even try using Irish Spring on baby clothes. Ivory bar soap and yes you grate it on a manual box grater. This doesn't work great in places that have hard water, you have to use a lot more of it. Which defeats the purpose.

Hey ceecee! Thanks for the info. I'm now going to call my INTJ father in order to confirm that the water in our area is soft. This could be a long conversation if he decides to get into a 'chemistry & minerals' conversation LOL!! Thanks again!!!

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
OK, let me jump in to clarify too - you need washing soda, not plain baking soda.

Google "homemade laundry detergent" and you will find some good recipes. :)

Agent Jelly

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7

I actually quit using it because it wasn't getting odor out as much as I liked. But yeah you can use other soaps and stuff.

Starry

I actually quit using it because it wasn't getting odor out as much as I liked. But yeah you can use other soaps and stuff.

Hey...thanks for the info Agent Jelly. Oh and thanks to [MENTION=5999]PeaceBaby[/MENTION] as well! I think I'm going to give this a try!

Agent Jelly

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Well that makes sense why it didn't work so well for me. I have really hard water. But yeah I wouldn't use Irish Spring on baby clothes, lol. I'm using All free & clear for now.