• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

do you pack your lunch?

so, do you?

• Total voters

gromit

likes this
I go out quite a bit, try to keep it to $6 per meal or so. There are lots of nutritious foods available to buy though, and for cheap too, and already prepared, and I can get what I feel like at the time!

I pack my lunch sometimes too, if I have leftovers those make good lunches, or if I get up early enough to prepare something.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
do you pack your lunch for work or school? if so what benefits and problems do you find that are associated with that? what do you most commonly pack? :huh:

it's too expensive to buy lunch daily (although we have two cafeterias in the building + numerous restaurants in the area), so I try to pack when I can. Typically I cook extra the night before, especially rice or noodle dishes. Still, if I don't get to cook or I'm just bored, I'll end up buying.

The bad part is the caloric intake + the cost to buy at work. The food at work typically is pretty high in calories.

Along with the main lunch, I usually pack a yogurt or a fruit, a bag of carrots, and a bottle of soda. I buy 2 liters at home and put them in the fridge, then fill up a 20oz bottle daily. I can buy a 2-liter for $1.50 max, usually, while at work it now costs $1.75 for a 20oz.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I usually do, but haven't lately. I usually pack fruit, some kind of homemade rice dish, and then I usually have crackers, dried apricots, hummus (sometimes), and chocolate at work, which I eat to supplement if necessary.

Pros: Money savings, health benefits, precious lunch-break time not wasted going to get food.
Cons: Sometimes it's a pain, and sometimes I get sick of the stuff I bring (though not as sick I get of the choice of restaurants near my office if I don't pack my own lunch!)

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
When necessary, I pack. But given my class schedule I haven't had to pack a lunch in forever. I either have time to go back to my apartment in the middle of the day, or I get home at 3-4pm and just have a late lunch.

I pack primarily because I have a lot of really severe food allergies. I've had a few situations where I ate something that I shouldn't have been allergic to, and there must have been SOMETHING in it because I had to give myself an epinephrine shot shortly after.

And I'm a pretty picky eater.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
When necessary, I pack. But given my class schedule I haven't had to pack a lunch in forever. I either have time to go back to my apartment in the middle of the day, or I get home at 3-4pm and just have a late lunch.

I pack primarily because I have a lot of really severe food allergies. I've had a few situations where I ate something that I shouldn't have been allergic to, and there must have been SOMETHING in it because I had to give myself an epinephrine shot shortly after.

And I'm a pretty picky eater.

Your work schedule has too much lazy time, I work 25 hours a day with 1 hour lunchbreak ! You need to work harder Panda !!! :D

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, I do. I very rarely eat out. I just eat lunch on my own, usually at my desk, and then after I eat I'll step out of the building on nice/warm days and sit in my car and read for a bit, or go for a walk.

At my previous job, I always made my lunch every morning before going to work (just a sandwich and yogurt, or else a microwavable thing plus yogurt). At my new place, because it's smaller and things don't get stolen out of the fridge, I just leave all of the fixings in a little bag in the fridge, and make my sandwiches here. It's a lot easier than having to bother with it every morning before leaving.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
No, I hate packing lunches. I wouldn't want to eat what I packed and I hate cleaning out 1/2 day old plastic containers. <--GO AHEAD AND JUDGE ME.

It's not that I'm against home cooked meals, not at all. I would prefer to do what Patches does and come home for meals. That's also what my uncle does as he lives close to home, he has just enough time to drive back and have a quick lunch.

I think if there was a dabbawalla industry in the states and I had a partner to cook for me or vice versa, that would be a nice option.

*Edit* Also I don't have to worry about budgeting for a partner or dependents so it's all me, all the time. And all me prefers eating out or eating at home, packed lunch is just too in between.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
How my typical lunch packing thing goes:

2 weeks before an event occurs that requires me to pack my lunch (new job, school starts, schedule change, etc.): I am super excited. I look up recipes for all the cool things I can take with me to work. I go out and buy cute, healthy-style food packaging things that are reusable, with perfect matching ice packs and plastic baggies.
1 day before: I plan out the entire week's worth of meals, including things that I haven't bothered to buy ingredients for.
First lunch day: Totally awesome. Lunch is amazing. I get home, and I'm in such a good mood I forget to wash dishes.
Next day: Oh crap, lunch box is still dirty. Oh well, I didn't buy the ingredients anyways. I take a plastic bag with a sandwich and some x (x being whatever it is that's easy to grab: cereal, chips, pudding, baby food, etc.)
The rest of the week: Repeat next day's activities, even after I've washed the lunch box due to time constraints the morning of..
Eventually: Lose lunch box, alternate between eating out and eating crappy lunches made in 2 minutes.
A bit after that: Situation changes, I don't need to pack lunches anymore, and I eat amazing lunches at home.

Snoopy22

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
If forced to take a lunch break, then a rotating basis usually of peanut butter sandwiches (no jelly), hard salami and cabbage, or baloney miracle whip and cabbage sandwiches.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
No, I go out to lunch.

It's a habit I got from my Dad. Whenever I'm home we always try to go out to lunch together if I can get out to his office.

hatersoldier.jpg

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I almost always pack a lunch. It saves time, saves money, is more healthy, plus I know what went into the meal. People in my workplace often go out to lunch, but I do not. I do not care if they think I am antisocial. (I avoid most of the picinics and luncheons, too.) On the rare occasion I do go out to lunch, it is to meet with someone for a specific purpose.

As for lunch contents, leftovers are always good. Otherwise sandwiches, fruit, and yogurt are common. Soup is good in the colder months.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I came across this from Men's Health (the guys that wrote the Eat This Not That books). This might be helpful for ideas since it has a dinner and then a lunch for the next day.

THE GROCERY LIST
A balance of protein-packed meats, fresh produce and a few versatile extras is all you
need to feed yourself well week after week.
• Frozen Shrimp: 1 lb uncooked, medium size
• Rotisserie Chicken: 1 cooked
• Pork Tenderloin: 1 herb-flavored or lemon-garlic marinated (about 3/4 lb)
• Bell Peppers: 1 tray tricolor (or pick out 1 red, 1 yellow and 1 orange)
• Yellow Onions: 2 lb
• Baby Mixed Greens: 4 oz bag, washed
• Portobello Mushrooms: 2 large caps
• Asparagus: 1 bunch
• Garlic: 1 head
• Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto: 8 oz jar
• Avocado: 1 ripe
• Mozzarella: 8 oz bag, shredded
• Instant Brown Rice: 1 lb box
• Black Beans: 12 oz can
• 100% Whole-Wheat Fettuccine: 16 oz box
• 10" 100% Whole-Wheat Tortillas: 1 package

THE PANTRY LIST
Buy these crucial building blocks every couple of months and you'll always have them on
hand to construct meals around the clock.
• Reduced-fat mayonnaise
• Dijon mustard
• Low-sodium soy sauce
• Peanut butter
• Extra-virgin olive oil
• Balsamic vinegar
• Parmesan cheese
• Salsa
• Tabasco or other hot sauce

SUNDAY NIGHT'S DINNER: ROTISSERIE CHICKEN WITH ROASTED
VEGETABLES
• 3/4 bunch asparagus (about 8 medium spears)
• 2 portobello mushroom caps, sliced 1/4" thick
• 1 medium onion, cut in 1/4"-thick rings
• 1/2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
• Salt and pepper
• 1 rotisserie chicken breast or leg
Preheat the oven to 400 F. Remove the woody ends of the asparagus by gently bending
each stalk until it breaks — it'll naturally snap off at the right spot. In a baking dish, toss
the vegetables with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 12 to 15
minutes, until the vegetables have developed a light brown crust. Serve half the
vegetables with the chicken and a simple mixed-greens salad tossed with olive oil and
vinegar. Reserve the other half of the vegetables for other meals this week.
430 calories, 36 grams (g) protein, 18 g carbohydrates, 25 g fat (7 g saturated), 5 g fiber

THE NEXT DAY'S LUNCH: CHICKEN PORTOBELLO WRAP WITH BALSAMIC
AIOLI
• 1 c chopped rotisserie chicken (left over from Sunday's dinner)
• 3 bell peppers
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1 Tbsp reduced-fat mayonnaise
• 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
• 1 whole-wheat tortilla
• 2 Tbsp shredded mozzarella cheese
• 1 small handful mixed greens
• 1 c leftover asparagus, mushrooms, and onions
To chop the chicken, remove the skin and use a fork to pull the meat from the bones.
Then place the meat on your cutting board and cut it into bite-size pieces — it should
yield about 3 cups' worth. Use 1 cup for the wrap and save the other 2 cups for later in the
week. Chop the peppers into 1/2" pieces. They should yield about 4 cups; use 1/2 cup
today and save the rest in a plastic bag for dinner.
Mix the garlic, mayonnaise, and vinegar together to make the aioli. Brush the tortilla with
the aioli, then put the cheese down the middle, followed by the greens, chicken, and
vegetables. To make a tight wrap, fold the bottom of the tortilla up first, then roll it from
the side.
400 calories, 43 g protein, 29 g carbohydrates, 15 g fat (4.5 g saturated), 5 g fiber

MONDAY NIGHT'S DINNER: SHRIMP FAJITAS
• 1/4 c instant brown rice (measured dry)
• 1/2 can black beans, drained and heated
• 1/2 Tbsp canola or other cooking oil
• 1 medium onion, sliced
• Bell peppers, chopped into 1/2" pieces (left over from Sunday's lunch)
• 2 cloves garlic, chopped
• 8 oz shrimp, defrosted
• Cayenne pepper, crushed red pepper, or Tabasco to taste
• 1/2 tsp cumin
• Salt and pepper
• 1/2 avocado, thinly sliced
• 1 whole-wheat tortilla, warmed
Cook the brown rice according to the directions on the box, then add the black beans.
Heat the oil in a large saute pan or wok over high heat. Add the onion slices, the bell
pepper pieces saved from lunch and the chopped garlic, and cook for 5 to 7 minutes until
the vegetables begin to brown. Mix in the shrimp and spices, and cook for another 3
minutes, until the shrimp are pink and firm. Serve half of the shrimp fajita mix with a
small scoop of the rice and beans, the avocado slices, and the warm tortilla.
Reserve the rest of the rice and beans in a microwavable bowl or plastic container along
with the leftover fajita mix, and use it for tomorrow's lunch.
602 calories, 42 g protein, 71 g carbohydrates, 22.5 g fat (3 g saturated), 15 g fiber

TUESDAY'S LUNCH: FIESTA RICE BOWL
• Leftover rice, beans, and fajita mix (from Monday's dinner)
• 1/2 avocado, thinly sliced
• Salsa (optional)
Heat the leftovers in a plastic container or a microwavable bowl for 60 seconds. Top with
the avocado and salsa to taste, if desired.
650 calories, 37 g protein, 85 g carbohydrates, 20 g fat (3 g saturated), 16 g fiber

TUESDAY NIGHT'S DINNER: FETTUCCINE WITH CHICKEN, ROASTED
VEGETABLES, AND SUN-DRIED-TOMATO PESTO
• 6 oz 100% whole-wheat fettuccine
• 1 c chopped rotisserie chicken (left over from Sunday's dinner)
• 1 c roasted vegetables (left over from Sunday's dinner)
• 1 1/2 Tbsp sun-dried-tomato pesto
• Salt and pepper to taste
• Parmesan cheese
Cook the fettuccine in a large pot of boiling, salted water until al dente, about 10 minutes.
Toss half the pasta with some canola oil and reserve in a container for Thursday's lunch.
Combine the chicken, vegetables, and sun-dried-tomato pesto with the remaining pasta.
Season with salt and pepper. Grate some Parmesan and sprinkle on top. Serve with 1 cup
of mixed greens, dressed with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
490 calories, 46 g protein, 34 g carbohydrates, 20 g fat (5 g saturated), 6 g fiber

THE NEXT DAY'S LUNCH: ITALIAN QUESADILLA
• 1 Tbsp sun-dried-tomato pesto
• 1 whole-wheat tortilla
• 1/2 c shredded mozzarella cheese
• 1/2 c chopped rotisserie chicken (left over from Sunday)
• 1 c roasted vegetables (left over from Sunday)
Spread the pesto on the tortilla. Top with the cheese, chicken, and vegetables, and
microwave open-faced for 1 minute, or until the cheese has fully melted. Fold over and
slice into quarters. If you have time, try cooking it over low heat in a skillet or saute? pan
for a crispier result.
440 calories, 38 g protein, 32 g carbohydrates, 19 g fat (8 g saturated), 4 g fiber

WEDNESDAY NIGHT'S DINNER: SPICY SHRIMP-AND-ASPARAGUS STIR-FRY
• 1/2 c instant brown rice (measured dry)
• 1 tsp canola or other cooking oil
• 1/2 medium onion, chopped
• 1 c mixed chopped peppers (left over from Monday night)
• 2 cloves garlic, chopped
• 1 c chopped raw asparagus
• 8 oz shrimp, defrosted
• 1 Tbsp soy sauce
• Hot sauce to taste (We like Sriracha.)
• Salt and pepper to taste
Prepare the brown rice according to the package directions. Add the oil to a large saute?
pan or wok and place over high heat. When the oil is smoking, add the onions, peppers,
garlic, and asparagus, then stir-fry for 5 minutes, until the vegetables have browned
slightly. Stir in the shrimp, soy sauce, and hot sauce and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper, and serve half of it over the brown rice, reserving the
remaining stir-fry for lunch tomorrow.
592 calories, 36 g protein, 88 g carbohydrates, 11 g fat (2 g saturated), 9 g fiber

THE NEXT DAY'S LUNCH: THAI PEANUT NOODLES
• 1 c shrimp stir-fry (left over from Wednesday's dinner)
• 3 oz cooked whole-wheat fettuccine (left over from Tuesday's dinner)
• 1 Tbsp peanut butter
• 1/2 Tbsp soy sauce
• 1 Tbsp water
• Splash of vinegar or orange juice
• 1/4 tsp black pepper
• Hot sauce to taste
• 1 Tbsp chopped peanuts (optional)
Toss the shrimp stir-fry with the leftover pasta. In a separate bowl, whisk together the
peanut butter, soy sauce, water, vinegar or OJ, and pepper. Add the peanut-butter mixture
and hot sauce to the stir-fry and pasta, and mix thoroughly. Top with peanuts, if desired.
Eat cold or at room temperature.
530 calories, 43 g protein, 63 g carbohydrates, 12 g fat (2 g saturated), 7 g fiber

THURSDAY NIGHT'S DINNER: ROASTED PORK LOIN WITH PEPPERS AND
BALSAMIC ONIONS
• 1 pork tenderloin, about 3/4 pound (herb or lemon-garlic marinated, if available;
check the meat section of your grocery store)
• 1 medium onion, quartered
• 1 1/2 c mixed chopped peppers (from Monday's lunch)
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed
• 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
• Salt and pepper
Preheat the oven to 450 F. In a baking dish, toss together the pork, onion, peppers, garlic,
oil, and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, depending on
the thickness of the tenderloin (to an internal temperature of 150 F, if using a
thermometer). Enjoy half the pork and vegetables tonight, and save the rest — storing
both together in a sealed container — for lunch tomorrow. (If you want a bigger, meal,
prepare 1/4 cup of instant brown rice, measured dry. It'll add 170 calories, 4 g protein, 36
g carbohydrates, 1 g fat, and 2 g fiber to the nutrition information below.)
350 calories, 37 g protein, 12 g carbohydrates, 17 g fat (3.5 g saturated), 2 g fiber

THE NEXT DAY'S LUNCH: ROASTED PORK WRAP
• 1/2 Tbsp sun-dried-tomato pesto
• 1/2 Tbsp reduced-fat mayonnaise
• 1 whole-wheat tortilla
• 2 Tbsp shredded mozzarella cheese
• Vegetables and pork tenderloin, thinly sliced (from Thursday's dinner)
Combine the pesto and mayonnaise, mixing them together in a small bowl, and spread
over the tortilla. Layer the cheese, pork slices, and leftover vegetables on top, and wrap it
up.
480 calories, 48 g protein, 37 g carbohydrates, 16 g fat (5 g saturated), 3 g fiber

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I packed my lunch once a week during Fall semester last year. I live five minutes from my college, so it was only convenient to do so on that day.
I'll likely pack my lunch 1-3 days a week this upcoming semester. My classes are 9am-2pm, which isn't bad at all, but I'm sure my schedule will fill up and I'll have to keep food with me.

Previously, I'd bring a lean cuisine, frozen fruit, hummus, and pita.

A

A window to the soul

I don't pack my lunch. I grab a banana and a bottled water on the way out the door in the morning. I run through Starbucks for coffee. I go out for lunch most days because I need fresh air and some horsepower to let out my frustrations, as I'm starting to feel burnt out!! 'Stifled' is more accurate.

Malice

Boldly Gone
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2W3
usually. saves money and usually includes healthier eating choices... but how jealous do I get when people have pizza or some other fast food in the same room? XD smells so good!

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I go home for lunch. If I didn't live so close I'd probably pack one 85% of the time. Food from home seems to taste a lot better.

knight

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I prefer making my own lunch. there is more control in the quality that goes in.

Agent Jelly

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
I used to pack my lunch but it repeatedly got stolen so it wasn't saving me any money. Then I just said fuck it and ate at Jimmy Johns or got a protein smoothie from that day forward.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No. I hate cold food, and I also hate re-heating food. So I'm fine with spending money on takeout every day, honestly.