• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Bees In The Backyard

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So my mother and I finally got around to getting yard work done, which involved cutting shoulder high grass in our huge backyard. After we had cut down certain areas of grass I noticed in the dirt a strange buzzing hum. I raked up the mulch and found that the buzzing was coming from a small mound of dirt with a bee crawling atop it. But I knew I heard more buzzing beyond that one bee so my mother raked back a bit of the dirt, and we discovered dozens of bees (big fat bumbel bees btw) crawling around the dirt patch going in and out of holes.

I did some research and it does turn out that bees can buld nests in the ground. Now my mother wants the bees gone, as if anyone were to go into the backyard and step on the hive that would not be a good thing.

So basically, I would like some advice as to how we should get rid of these bees? Whats the best and safest way to kill them? Or should we get beekeepers to come take them for us? Thanks for the advice. :)

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
[youtube="R-o6e57AEGo"]Bumble Bees[/youtube]

Bumble bees are awesome, if you leave them alone they won't really sting unless stressed or threatened probably. And they will pollinate all your flowers and everything else in the vicinity.

Now if you said hornets, wasps, or african bees that would be a different story.

I suppose ring up a wild life expert and ask them to relocate the hive and what to do. Someone who cultivates honey and ask them to remove them, oh yeah beekeepers is the word. Ha establish your own hive and make free honey.

Okay, okay maybe they are fine in the distance but can be an issue in a backyard. My parents were into beekeeping once and making honey and yeah they had to relocate the whole hive to a forest. I wonder what happened to the bees, the hobby did not last and the hive was neglected and left to its own devices, it was somewhere near the airport too. ha.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah I guess contacting some beekeepers would be the best option, I mean I don't want to see the poor bees die, but I'd have to convince my mother to pay them money if they request it. I also just found a place that keeps bees and I may call them soon to see if they'll be able to come down and extract said bees.

Now if they were japanese hornets or african killers bees than that be a whole different story :laugh: seriously those things is scary :eek: