• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cooking and freezing

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
Is it bad to cook something (i.e. chicken) and then freeze it, and reheat/cook it later?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
No absolutely not. It is bad to thaw something raw (like chicken) and refreeze it. I would slightly undercook anything that's going to reheated later, just to maintain a good finished product. You can prepare and freeze many dishes with excellent results.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
No, if that were the case then we wouldn't have the frozen food aisle. Duh.

(sorry, but I couldn't help it)

Just make sure the food cools before you stick it in the freezer.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I freeze stuff all the time, it's fine. The only thing I notice is that the texture of meat and poultry suffers when frozen. I wouldn't freeze an expensive cut.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
^ this. But I frequently made casseroles for later in the week, assembled them and froze them, and just re-heated them in the oven later when I was too busy to cook. :yes:

gromit

likes this
I freeze soup in freezer bags and also pierogi when we make a bazillion of them.

Frozen tofu comes out with a kind of cool texture.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
Alright, thank you!

@Marm: The frozen food aisle is full of peculiar things that may have been engineered specifically to be frozen and unfrozen hahaha

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I might agree with you, except that I've bought organic vegan frozen food, and Kashi makes frozen food and none of those things were weird or genetically engineered.

AntiZang

MBTI Type
INFP
Most meats start to lose taste after 3 months of freezing so make sure you keep things dated. Its not a safety issue its a quality issue.