• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Salad thread

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is the thread where you talk about yummy salads you know how to make (with recipes PLEASE! if you have them) or that you have eaten.

I'm not a huge veggie eater but I'm looking to change that this year. I need some creative ways to spark my interest in veggies and salads are most appealing to me right now.

So what's in/on your yummy salad?

A couple of days ago, I had a Broccoli and Bacon salad from my work cafeteria.
I don't have a recipe but it had in it:

raw broccoli florets
thinly julienne carrots
real bacon bits
raisuns
sunflower seeds
a dressing that was pinkish in color tasted like a mixture of mostly mayo, a little vinegar, and sweetened a little with sugar.

Of course I added salt and pepper myself.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
thinly sliced cucumbers
thinly sliced red peppers

dressing:

olive oil
basalmic vinegar
salt
pepper
dill
red pepper flakes
garlic

... though that might be a bit vegetable heavy :laugh:

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No such thing. :)

F

figsfiggyfigs

I have salad every day. I love salad, I'd have salad 24/7 , ever day if I could!

syndatha

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
My favourite atm :

Mix -
Fresh spinach
Thinly sliced pear
Chopped walnuts

Toss this around in a vinaigrette; for instance:
1 dl Balsamic vinegar
1 dl water
2 tablespoons of honey

Mix blue cheese and sour cream, and add plenty of it (!) on the top of the pile.
:nice:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Ahem. My current favorite:

Base -
RR%203%20COLOR%20COLE%20SLAW.jpg

+

mesc%20mix%20prepack.jpg

Accessories:

HFST875.JPG

nuts-almonds-sliced.jpg

mandarin.jpg

Feta%20Cheese%20email.jpg

Dressing:

OT514071S.jpg

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
Ohhh salads. *swoons* How I love you so.

One of my favourite combinations is baby arugula and baby spinach mixed together with tomato, bell pepper, broccoli, crimini mushrooms and julienned carrots. With some kind of balsamic vinaigrette on top.

OR

Baby spinach with blueberries, toasted almonds and strawberries and raspberry vinaigrette. For a sweeter salad that's phenomenal after a meal, rather than before or during. :yes:

O

Oberon

I really like egg salad. Does that count?

Of course, the only veggies involved are a little onion, and maybe parsley... :D

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Roasted Butternut Squash Salad with Warm Cider Viniagrette.

Drools.

Ingredients
nocoupons
1 (1 1/2-pound) butternut squash, peeled and 3/4-inch) diced
Good olive oil
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons dried cranberries
3/4 cup apple cider or apple juice
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons minced shallots
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
4 ounces baby arugula, washed and spun dry
1/2 cup walnuts halves, toasted
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
Directions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Place the butternut squash on a sheet pan. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil, the maple syrup, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and toss. Roast the squash for 15 to 20 minutes, turning once, until tender. Add the cranberries to the pan for the last 5 minutes.

While the squash is roasting, combine the apple cider, vinegar, and shallots in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes, until the cider is reduced to about 1/4 cup. Off the heat, whisk in the mustard, 1/2 cup olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper.

Place the arugula in a large salad bowl and add the roasted squash mixture, the walnuts, and the grated Parmesan. Spoon just enough vinaigrette over the salad to moisten and toss well. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve immediately.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
wait so why did you specify no coupons? we can't use coupons on any of the ingredients? or we shouldn't put coupons in the salad?

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Steak Salad = Deliciousness

Spinach
Raspberry Vinaigrette
Gorgonzola Cheese
Fillet Mignon Steak (thinly sliced)

:wubbie:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Here's two I love. Feel free to omit the candied pecans in the steak salad. I do.

Steak Salad

* 2 whole Rib-eye Or Strip Steaks, Extra Fat Trimmed
* _____
* FOR THE DRESSING/MARINADE:
* ¾ cups Canola Oil
* 3 Tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
* 1 Tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
* 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
* 2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
* 1 teaspoon (additional) Soy Sauce
* 2 Tablespoons Lime Juice
* 2 Tablespoons Sugar
* 3 cloves Garlic, Peeled
* 1 Tablespoon Minced Fresh Ginger
* ½ teaspoons Hot Chili Oil
* 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
* Lots Of Freshly Ground Black Pepper
* _____
* FOR THE ONION STRINGS:
* 2 whole Onions, Sliced As Thin As Possible
* 2 cups Buttermilk
* 2 cups Flour
* 1 Tablespoon Salt
* ½ teaspoons Cayenne Pepper
* 1 quart Canola Oil
* Black Pepper To Taste
* _____
* FOR THE CANDIED PECAN BITS:
* ½ cups Pecans, Chopped
* 1 cup Sugar
* 2 Tablespoons Water
* _____
* FOR THE SALAD:
* Lettuce Mix: Romaine, Arugula, Watercress, Raddiccio, Etc.
* Small Grape Tomatoes
* ¾ cups Crumbled Blue Cheese

Preparation Instructions

To make the dressing/marinade, combine all ingredients in a mason jar with the lid. Shake vigorously to combine; taste and adjust seasonings to taste.

Place steak in a plastic zipper bag. Pour in half the marinade and seal. Refrigerate and marinate for at least two hours.

Prepare the onion strings: Slice onion very thin. Place in a baking dish and cover with buttermilk and soak for at least an hour.

Make the candied pecans: Spread pecans on a baking mat or sheet of waxed paper. Add sugar and water to a small saucepan or skillet over medium heat. Cook to 280 degrees, or until dark and clear amber in color, about 5 to 6 minutes. Pour mixture over pecans (may not need all of mixture) and quickly stir/poke with a fork to evenly distribute mixture all over pecans. Allow to cool completely.

Make the onion strings: Combine dry ingredients and set aside. Heat oil to 375 degrees. Grab a handful of onions, throw into the flour mixture, tap to shake off excess, and PLUNGE into hot oil. Fry for a few minutes and remove to a paper towel-lined plate as soon as they are golden brown. Repeat until onions are gone.

Grill (or sautee) the steak over medium-high heat until medium rare, about 2 minutes on each side. Remove from heat and allow to rest. Slice steak against the grain in thin slices.

In a large bowl, add lettuce mix, blue cheese, and cherry tomatoes. Add a little dressing and toss to combine. Add more if needed. Add candied pecans at the end and toss to combine.

Heap salad on a plate, making sure to get plenty of blue cheese, tomatoes, and pecans on each plate. Add half a steak to the top of each plate, then top the steak with onion strings.

Asian Noodle Salad

* SALAD INGREDIENTS:
* 1 package Linguine Noodles, Cooked, Rinsed, And Cooled
* ½ heads Sliced Napa Cabbage, Or More To Taste
* ½ heads Sliced Purple Cabbage, Or More To Taste
* ½ bags Baby Spinach, Or More To Taste
* 1 whole Red Bell Pepper, Sliced Thin
* 1 whole Yellow Bell Pepper, Sliced Thin
* 1 whole Orange Bell Pepper, Thinly Sliced
* 1 bag Bean Sprouts (also Called Mung Bean Sprouts)
* Chopped Cilantro, Up To 1 Bunch, To Taste
* 3 whole Scallions, Sliced
* 3 whole Cucumbers Peeled And Sliced
* 1 can (about 10 Oz.) Whole Cashews, Lightly Toasted In Skillet
* _____
* FOR THE DRESSING:
* 1 whole Lime, Juiced
* 8 Tablespoons Olive Oil
* 8 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
* 2 Tablespoons (up To 3 Tablespoons) Sesame Oil
* â…“ cups Brown Sugar
* 3 Tablespoons Fresh Ginger Chopped
* 2 cloves Garlic Chopped
* 2 whole Hot Peppers Or Jalapenos, Chopped
* Chopped Cilantro

Preparation Instructions

Mix salad ingredients together. Whisk dressing ingredients together and pour over salad. Mix with tongs or hands and serve on a platter.

Note: dressing keeps for up to three days before serving, without cilantro.

Curator

Another awesome member.
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
best thread ever:D:D:D I will contribute in a couple days when im not so busy ^_^

Strawberry Avocado Salad:

2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
1 large avocado, diced
4 cups baby spinach
Pine nuts for crunch

Dressing:
1/4 cup. fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. honey
1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
Red chili flakes, salt and pepper to taste

Mix the salad, mix the dressing, pour the dressing over the salad, toss, and serve.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
marinate a steak (I've always used top round for this since it's rather lean) in lime juice, cumin, garlic and salt overnight and then grill until it's however done you like it... set it aside

diced tomato
diced avocado
poblano pepper cut into strips (to your personally prefered amount of spiciness... it's not that hot of a pepper!)
thinly sliced then diced onion
a bit of cilantro

black beans rinsed and heated

shredded monterrey jack cheese

dressing:
olive oil
chipotle sauce
vinegar
cumin
salt

shredded romaine

Put shredded romaine on the plate and then put black beans, chopped vegetables, cheese and thinly sliced steak on top... put salad dressing over that :)

even the salad hating man will eat that one :laugh:

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If the weather stays this sunny, I'll make tabouleh:

Lebanese tabouleh is made with bulgur and has too much parsley and lemon juice for my taste. This is the Maghreb version which is milder and more delicate:

Soak one part couscous in one part citric juice (a mix of lemon, orange or grape fruit, depending on your taste and what you have available).
Add lots of fresh parsley (and/or coriander and/or mint), a thinly chopped onion, salt and pepper and a generous quantity of olive oil. Now cut some cucumber, carrot, tomato and bell pepper and add them to the mix. If you keep it in the fridge, it will only get better with time as the aromas mix.

url

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I like to toss together:

mixed greens (dark green & red lettuce)
blue cheese crumbles
champagne raspberry vinaigrette
dried cranberries
salt
pepper

Mmm mmm!

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I was on taste spotting and stumbled upon this recipe

4 tiger prawns
1 bunch arugula or frisée salad
1 ripe avocado
10 cherry tomatoes
chives, chopped
3 Tbs butter
3 Tbs lemon juice
5 Tbs canola oil
1/2 tsp honey mustard
1/2 tsp honey
salt
pepper

Mix lemon juice, oil, salt, pepper, honey and honey mustard in a shallow bowl. Peel and slice avocado and marinate in the above concoction. Devein the prawns (leaving the shell on), pierce them lengthwise with a wooden skewer and season with salt and pepper. Melt the butter in a large frying pan till slightly foaming and put in the prawns. Cover with a lid and fry for about 3-4 minutes on each side, then take out and pat with a paper towel to absorb the fat. Arrange the salad and the halved cherry tomatoes on a plate, together with sliced avocado and a peeled prawn (you can leave the tail on for easier grabbing or take it off, depending on your preference and aesthetic). Sprinkle the plate with the remaining honey-lemon marinade and chopped chives.

not a big fan of argula never had frisee salad though after googling it doesn't look like I'd like it either so I might use something else in place of that. Perhaps baby spinach.But I'm a huge fan of everything else in that salad and no carrots, woohoo!