• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

A flower without leaves

Thisica

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
5w4
I have a flower growing just under the olive tree which had no leaves on it. What's going on? [The flowers resemble an orchid, though.]

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Can you post a picture of it? Where are you located?

Many orchids don't possess leaves (they're saprophytic), but it could also be something completely different, like a Broomrape (and hence a parasitic plant).

P

Phantonym

Indeed, a picture would be of help. Some species grow flowers long before any leaves emerge. And some species grow leaves during spring and start blooming during autumn, since you are from Australia. :)

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
I have one like that. It's called a "Magic Lily". I don't know if it's the same thing, though. Mine's already up through the ground; it has foliage something like daffodils, seems to die and weeks later puts up flower stalks with no foliage whatever.

Anything like that?

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I have one like that. It's called a "Magic Lily". I don't know if it's the same thing, though. Mine's already up through the ground; it has foliage something like daffodils, seems to die and weeks later puts up flower stalks with no foliage whatever...and looks somewhat orchid-like.

Once again, a picture would help us to identify this "Magic Lily"!

Thisica

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
5w4
udata.jpg

Here it is...with the stem going towards the bottom left-hand corner.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Its Lycoris squamigera, a japanese member of the Amaryllis family.

It's not related to orchids at all.

Thisica

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
5w4
Just as we suspected [except me].

The flowers are currently decaying away.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Nonetheless, here are some leafless saprophytic orchids, just if you need a comparison:

Gale_sep11.jpg

Galeola (here G. septentrialis), one of the most spectacular genus

-----

neottia_nidusavis_26c.jpg

Neottia nidus-avis (Bird's nest), common in Europe

-----

2010Fr-240%20Limodorum%20abortivum001.jpg

Limodorum abortivum, very nice orchid but unfortunately rather rare

-----

Ghost-Orchid-3715-7-1-10-rjwiley.jpg

And under the tropics, you have Polyrrhiza lindenii, the Ghost orchid. It's not a saprophyte but rather, since it's an epiphyte, its green aerial roots replace the function of leaves.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ghost-Orchid-3715-7-1-10-rjwiley.jpg

And under the tropics, you have Polyrrhiza lindenii, the Ghost orchid. It's not a saprophyte but rather, since it's an epiphyte, its green aerial roots replace the function of leaves.

That's lovely.