• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I just tried homemade beer

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
The simple methods. One batch is very good.. I would buy 6-7 euros of a pint of it in a bar, but you gotta understand, the price of good price is heavy in this place in the world.

The whole batch cost me something like 14 euros to make. 25 liters. Took 8 hours total, though, from start to end. I don't think of this like a financial thing at all, though.. I'm just describing this with monetary units. It's just a hobby .. extension to my hobby of making good food and wine at my home.

I would like to link the pages that I used to making that beer. There's that problem they're almost exclusively in finnish.

Another batch, not that good.. a dissapointing one. Same brand, different style.

It's Coopers brand. I altered the brewing instructions a bit according to some of the latest discoveries in the art and science of brewing. Then again, being a newbie in beermaking, perhaps I just made it great by accident, or something. I dont know.

Anyways. If there's someone interested in homemade beer, perhaps we could check what (newbie-ish) instructions direct us to the greatest tastes.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I've always wanted to make beer, but I'm also lazy and almost none of the people I see on a regular basis drink beer plus there's alright to much shit in this apartment that their's not really room for the equipment.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Yeah the brewing vessels (not sure what they've called, I have NOT followed advice in english language with this) are sizey.

My wife is complaining that I haven't washed and get rid of 3 of such vessels already. They're in my bathroom, uhh 5 gallons? Is that right? About 30 liters = 5 gallons?

The vessels do stack up. Then they take just a little bit more space than 3 of them combined. The lids go inside, and all the equipments go inside. They can easily be placed on the top of the fridge, a shelf, or something like that.

I think there's just two things. Learning the procedures from something that you know to make good beer, and then the bottling. I'm getting tired of the bottling though: I can't continue with this hobby if it's going to be this much of trouble.

I'll have to buy a beer keg, barrel or something like that to get rid of the bottling phase.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
the top of the fridge is where the liquor goes because we have no other place for it, so the top of the fridge is full of booze.

Lark

I would love to get into home brewing and had a great but ancient book on this at a time, I'd be worried that I'd wind up with terrible orangey flavoured hooch like what gets knocked out in radiator stills in prisons or something.

Curator

Another awesome member.
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
I looooove home made ginger beers and rootbeers:D (both can be alcoholic if made at home) Birch beer is awesome too, but have not had it home made...

Fan.of.Devin

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Welcome to the exciting world of zymurgy.

I try to make a batch of cider every fall, I think I'm slowly getting better at it.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Very nice ! I once made beer in a project group in school but that is many many years ago. Since then I always wanted to make some again, your post is inspiring :). You can buy here whole bundles to make beer right away, they provide you with a fermentation bottle and a hop and malt mixture. Did you make beer based on hop aswell or corn-based ? I'll never get used to american beer :)

chachamaru

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
?
I'm wondering if I can grow it in my vag... like a yeast infection.

Then bed room activities would be more fun.

wolfy

awsm
I used to make beer when I was in high school and it was hard to buy. Was a lot of fun, got me interested in fermentation.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I've made home made beer for some time now. Just got one set bottled a week ago. It's good stuff, but I would rather have the yeast removed somehow from the bottles. I'm using the method where the yeast is left in to create the bubbles in the bottles, and it's nice to have it, but it just seems a bit unpractical to have a bunch of yeast on the bottom of the bottle...

Fan.of.Devin

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Actually, unfiltered beer isn't all that uncommon, especially for varieties of wheat beer.