• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Types of rice

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
I'm one of those people who really just.... don't find much worth in eating plain long grain white rice. It's the most bland and nutrient deprived, diabetes breeding food, imo. Its brown version isn't that great either. I've recently gotten outside of the box, and have been trying different varieties like jasmine and basamati. Of the white rice varieties, jasmine is probably my fav.

A couple weeks ago I got some BROWN jasmine rice to cook, and prepared it with a nut brown ale (beer) and some salt and coconut oil. I seriously never thought rice could have so much good flavor to it! And it's not chewy or anything. It's soft, delicious, good for you, and doesn't make my blood sugar spike like Mt. Everest. I was truly surprised how good it tasted, lol. I've been wanting to try a variety thats said to be similar, called red jasmine or red cargo rice.

So, what are your fav varieties of rice? Know any more exotic types?

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
For breakfast I sometimes mix a little sesame oil and soy sauce in to my cooked Calrose Rice, I like it plain too though :).

rav3n

The Buddha Jasmine rice (must be new crop) is my favourite long grain white rice. It's moist and has a slightly sweet, nutty flavour to it. Here's the only brand I buy:

yhst-48573782157554_2100_6158973

Curator

Another awesome member.
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
If you have not had it, try brown basmati rice sometime! if its actual indian brown basmati vs california, its even tastier! but they are both delicious! very nutty flavor and smells like popcorn while cooking!!! (add 2 tablespoons extra water first time you make it however, as ive noticed most instructions on the package end up with the rice being a bit to firm...) Oh oh! and do NOT add salt to the water or the rice till AFTER its done cooking, with the brown basmati, it will cook a bit more evenly and thoroughly this way...

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Wild rice is awesome! It's long grain and a dark brown colour and bursts open as it's cooked. It's a little expensive, but can be mixed with other stuff if you like. Also, Costco (Sam's Club) makes a really nice mix of different types of rice which is mostly brown or exotic varieties all mixed together. An interesting kind of rice to try is something that is kind of a purplish blue colour - similar to blue potatoes that way!

Most rice is much tastier cooked with chicken broth (part or all) rather than water. Moroccan spices or duqqa spice are a nice addition, or a few squirts of lemon juice or some garlic as it cooks (the garlic is pretty mild if it is cooked with the rice). Brown basmati is really nice tasting too.

I would also highly recommend mixing rice and whole grains like quinoa, barley, oats or wheat together. This will also be great for your blood sugar and provides a variety of textures. I often throw a little flax or hemp seed in too. Flax will give you fibre and omega 3s (although it has to be either blended or broken open somehow to get the oils out of it). Hemp seed has protein and is very filling.

Curator

Another awesome member.
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
I love quinoa!...mmmmmm its a complete protein too:D, Kaniwa is similar in flavor, more protein content, cheaper, much smaller though(about a third of the size), and red!

I loooooove wild rice too:D im all hungry now fidelia :( lol:p

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Funny how you describe the traditional white long-grain as diabetes-inducing when we Chinese people having been eating it for almost forever with no problems.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I like normal white rice a LOT (I think it's the long grain?). I could eat it every day. It goes with anything, and it has a great taste even by itself. The other varieties of rice are good as well, but white rice remains my favorite.

I also enjoy barley and other grains in addition to rice.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I always have Calrose short grain rice on hand. I also have a kickass fuzzy logic rice cooker, you can keep cooked rice in it for up to 11 hours (I don't ever need to do that). Lately for lunch I've been packing onigiri. Rice is so much more convinent than bread as a main grain for storage purposes.

I like other types of rice. I use long grain white rice to make my arroz mexicano. And also make wild rice (not actually rice) with chicken broth, thyme and almond slivers. I have sticky rice, not sure what to do with it, though.

As far as I understand it, all white rice types are equally 'bad' for you. They have bran milled off, which provides fiber and other nutrients.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
As far as I understand it, all white rice types are equally 'bad' for you. They have bran milled off, which provides fiber and other nutrients.

So, is white rice really bad for you, or is it just not as good for you as other types?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So, is white rice really bad for you, or is it just not as good for you as other types?

Not as good for you, but that can be argued for anything. I suppose if you eat lots of white rice, I'd find other ways to increase fiber in your diet elsewhere, and get vitamins from the things you eat with it.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I have Calrose for onigiri and sushi but we have a lot of brown basmati rice too. It's not flavorless if you cook it with the right stuff. I like baked rice pilaf with stock, herbs and green onion or lemon and spices if we have fish. I love wild rice and chicken soup too.

chachamaru

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
?
I love rice. Basmati is my mine fav. Especially uncle ben's microwave in a bag basmati. 90 seconds till heaven.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
i cook rice in chicken stock. long grained jasmine.
gotta eat what my people grow. and i throw in
pieces of chicken skin in there to make it nice
and oily and tasty.

rav3n

Pearl rice (sticky rice) is delicious. Don't have any recommended brands but the ones grown in the U.S. are more to my taste and texture preference.

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Pearl rice (sticky rice) is delicious. Don't have any recommended brands but the ones grown in the U.S. are more to my taste and texture preference.

Are you talking about that delicious rice that the Laotion people eat!? They call it sticky rice, it's cooked in a basket, and it's oh so good with that spicy papaya salad stuff. I want to learn how to make it!

rav3n

Are you talking about that delicious rice that the Laotion people eat!? They call it sticky rice, it's cooked in a basket, and it's oh so good with that spicy papaya salad stuff. I want to learn how to make it!
Don't know anything about Laotion cuisine so I can't comment but pretty much everyone is aware of the sticky rice you get at dim sum, that's wrapped in lotus leaves. I do have a killer recipe for sticky rice with chicken, chinese sausages and shitakes but without the lotus leaves.

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Don't know anything about Laotion cuisine so I can't comment but pretty much everyone is aware of the sticky rice you get at dim sum, that's wrapped in lotus leaves. I do have a killer recipe for sticky rice with chicken, chinese sausages and shitakes but without the lotus leaves.

Im not sure if I tried that, is it kinda hard on the outside so you can eat it with your hands? The sticky rice I'm thinking of is also served on the dessert menu at Thai restaraunts sometimes too, sticky rice with mangos :).

PS Metaphor is that you with a changed name ?!

rav3n

Im not sure if I tried that, is it kinda hard on the outside so you can eat it with your hands? The sticky rice I'm thinking of is also served on the dessert menu at Thai restaraunts sometimes too, sticky rice with mangos :).

PS Metaphor is that you with a changed name ?!
Most likely it's the same rice. It's also called pearl rice and the Japanese grind it into flour to make mochi, a type of dessert.

Yo baby, it's Metaphor! ;)

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
:hug: Welll aren't we both extra Asian today chatting in the Rice thread lol ;)!!