• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

My Opinion on the Necessity for Shoes

disTant_eCHo

MBTI Type
INTP
I wasn't sure which forum to put this thread in, but I figured since shoes exist for two reasons (to protect us from the elements, and to make women happy) to put it here in outdoors.

Basically, I don't feel that we need shoes; unless you're a magma analyzer or perhaps an astronaut. You see, about two years ago I was listening to Dane Cook and he had a skit where at the end he blurted "FUCK SHOES". It was out of context for which I am writing this thread of course, but I began to ponder this theory and have decided that in fact, I don't like shoes.

For one, they're expensive. There's no reason I should have to shell out $100 for a dull pair of shoes that's going to serve the same function as the $20 pair in the other aisle. This is the reason that I wear converse. It's like $30, looks badass and serves its function. Also, if I was ever spontaneously entered into a basketball tournament then I will be at an advantage.

Also, there should be no reason to own more than two pairs of shoes. Even for women. You should have one pair of shoes for work, and one pair of shoes for when you're not at work (this is, of course, if you don't believe in the 'fuck shoes' philosophy). All other reasons for having shoes are excuses. And for women, it doesn't matter if you're wearing a black dress and a pair of converse because as men we're not attracted to your feet .. well, okay some of the perverts might be. And if you say "It doesn't match," then fuck it. You're only saying that because you want to do what is socially acceptable by the norm. Well, fuck the norm too! (That's another thread).

When God created man and woman, He never said "And let there be shoes!". He knew full and well that if our feet couldn't take what our Earth's surface could dish out then either we didn't need to be on that particular terrain (E.G. an underwater cavern) or that the terrain was manmade, like concrete. Depending on several conditions, concrete can either be too hot for our bare feet, too cold, or too broken up to stand on. Well get over it! It's just a little pain.

Shoes are too constraining. Sure it might help you to get better friction on various surfaces when running from or toward an entity but that doesn't mean that they're all necessary.

heart

heart on fire
I don't wear shoes unless I leave my home. I have three pair shoes. One for everyday, one for extensive walking and a dress pair. All black.

Shoes can be expensive, I have some foot issues and end up needing shoes that cost at least $100.00 and hate spending money on them. I have had the same dress shoes for ten years now.

I don't really pick any item of clothing based on it looking "badassed" though, lol. I tend to want the most nondescript or at least classic looking shoes I can find. I don't want anyone to notice my shoes. ;)

One good reason to wear shoes? Public restrooms, unidentified puddles in streets, broken glass, hornets on the ground, etc. Take your pick.

EDIT: You wanted input? I am very Ne today, not giving out simple, straighforward answers to save my life.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
And I suppose that carpal tunnel is evidence that God didn't say : "Let there be typing and ranting about my personal issues on the internet!"?

I do find shoes confining at times when I am indoors. I don't feel a need for lots of expensive shoes (and don't own a pair that cost more than $30, most in the $20 range), but I don't feel particularly angry/frustrated than those that spend more. My brother plays lots of sports and he has lots of shoes for those specialized functions (although I don't really understand what all the shoes are for, neither can I dismiss his shoe need claims without proper investigation- walking a mile in his shoes, so to speak).

Life without shoes would be difficult in an industrialized society. I walk every day and I wouldn't wish to go around gravel and glass and such sans shoes. You claim that cement is to blame, but what about the cold? Socks are alright, but not very strong or stain-resistant.

Lookin4theBestNU

MBTI Type
ENFj
Enneagram
2w3
I've got "shoe issues" so I can't relate to this thread:smile:. I think I'm going on approximately 100-125 pairs. I still can't find any shoes to wear oddly enough:doh:! I do get them all on sale (probably the reason I've got so many) does that give me any excuse? (Yes, of course it does!)

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I've got "shoe issues" so I can't relate to this thread:smile:. I think I'm going on approximately 100-125 pairs.

:eek:

I own three pairs of shoes, and two of them are the same.

I wonder, though, about how we would walk if we didn't have shoes. It seems like we would be much more likely to talk on the balls of our feet instead of heel first, which would probably take a lot of strain off of our knees and hips, making the ankle more of a shock absorber.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Are shoes necessity... that's like asking is clothing a necessity.

They were first made for protecting your feet... afterwards people started using them for all sorts of other reasons.

It's a world of free choices... you don't need to have shoes to make a fashion statement if you don't want to.

disTant_eCHo

MBTI Type
INTP
Humans are very adaptable. If we didn't start wearing shoes, then we would have just adapted in other ways. Like, I don't know, not leaving glass scattered randomly about gravel as you seem to be so afraid of.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yes, but we are also very ingenious. And we invented shoes because they were more convenient for all terrain.

heart

heart on fire
Humans are very adaptable. If we didn't start wearing shoes, then we would have just adapted in other ways. Like, I don't know, not leaving glass scattered randomly about gravel as you seem to be so afraid of.

So you have never stepped on a hornet in the grass in the hot, dry Texas summer? :huh: I have. It put me more in favor of wearing shoes.

disTant_eCHo

MBTI Type
INTP
I've yet to step on one, no but I'll say this: I've been stung by bees, wasps, yellow jackets and hornets. The one that hurt the most was the hornet because that sting friggin' burned!

heart

heart on fire
My foot was swollen for a whole day and it hurt like %$#@&*^%^%$$#$, that was the summer I was 8 going on 9. I thought, "Oh what are the chances that is going to happen again?"

Guess what happened the next week?

disTant_eCHo

MBTI Type
INTP
Perhaps the hornet decided to take a nap in the grass because of your ill-percieved notion of the necessity for shoes. I know I go without shoes whenever possible and I've yet to step on a hornet because I feel that shoes are indeed not required to live my life.

I'm sorry you had to be subjected to that.
I quite enjoyed it actually and am hereby officially disagreeing with your opinion.

heart

heart on fire
Perhaps the hornet decided to take a nap in the grass because of your ill-percieved notion of the necessity for shoes. I know I go without shoes whenever possible and I've yet to step on a hornet because I feel that shoes are indeed not required to live my life..

This is INTP logic? :huh:

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I wasn't sure which forum to put this thread in, but I figured since shoes exist for two reasons (to protect us from the elements, and to make women happy) to put it here in outdoors.

Basically, I don't feel that we need shoes; unless you're a magma analyzer or perhaps an astronaut. You see, about two years ago I was listening to Dane Cook and he had a skit where at the end he blurted "FUCK SHOES". It was out of context for which I am writing this thread of course, but I began to ponder this theory and have decided that in fact, I don't like shoes.

For one, they're expensive. There's no reason I should have to shell out $100 for a dull pair of shoes that's going to serve the same function as the $20 pair in the other aisle. This is the reason that I wear converse. It's like $30, looks badass and serves its function. Also, if I was ever spontaneously entered into a basketball tournament then I will be at an advantage.

Also, there should be no reason to own more than two pairs of shoes. Even for women. You should have one pair of shoes for work, and one pair of shoes for when you're not at work (this is, of course, if you don't believe in the 'fuck shoes' philosophy). All other reasons for having shoes are excuses. And for women, it doesn't matter if you're wearing a black dress and a pair of converse because as men we're not attracted to your feet .. well, okay some of the perverts might be. And if you say "It doesn't match," then fuck it. You're only saying that because you want to do what is socially acceptable by the norm. Well, fuck the norm too! (That's another thread).

When God created man and woman, He never said "And let there be shoes!". He knew full and well that if our feet couldn't take what our Earth's surface could dish out then either we didn't need to be on that particular terrain (E.G. an underwater cavern) or that the terrain was manmade, like concrete. Depending on several conditions, concrete can either be too hot for our bare feet, too cold, or too broken up to stand on. Well get over it! It's just a little pain.

Shoes are too constraining. Sure it might help you to get better friction on various surfaces when running from or toward an entity but that doesn't mean that they're all necessary.
I also dislike shoes tremendously. I wouldn't wear them if I didn't have to, but snow is cold and asphalt gets too hot in the summer. Plus apparently we can collect microscopic parasites with our bare feet so I guess that's a reason to wear shoes.

However, there's nothing I love so much as walking barefoot on a cool, smooth, clean floor. Nothing like it in the world!

heart

heart on fire
Plus apparently we can collect microscopic parasites with our bare feet so I guess that's a reason to wear shoes.

Yes, I forgot about liver flukes! :doh:

Plus, a female relative went barefoot outside all the time her whole life and by 45 years old her feet looked really, really bad, not sandal ready at all. All calloused and cracked.

However, there's nothing I love so much as walking barefoot on a cool, smooth, clean floor. Nothing like it in the world!

I agree. :)

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I've got "shoe issues" so I can't relate to this thread:smile:. I think I'm going on approximately 100-125 pairs. I still can't find any shoes to wear oddly enough:doh:! I do get them all on sale (probably the reason I've got so many) does that give me any excuse? (Yes, of course it does!)
W-O-W!! :shock:
And I thought my son was bad because he buys a new pair every month! :shock:

disTant_eCHo

MBTI Type
INTP
... Plus, a female relative went barefoot outside all the time her whole life and by 45 years old her feet looked really, really bad, not sandal ready at all. All calloused and cracked. ...
Well here's the thing.. this is where the argument comes back to conforming with the asshole norm. I don't see why we should do what is socially acceptable just because it is socially acceptable. Why do we fear comming acts that are socially unacceptable? It's crap.

Also to the lady that mentioned getting bacteria or whatever by going barefoot.. who cares? Anything and everything will kill you these days, according to every new study published on any number of topics. Just live your life and say 'fuck it' to what society tells you to do.