• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Critters I saw while out hunting

O

Oberon

Check it out:

Fox Squirrel
fox%20squirrel%202.jpg

Chipmunk
chipmunk2.jpg

Hairy Woodpecker
woodpecker.jpg

Sorry about the terrible image quality. I just had a Panasonic DMC-LZ8, a snapshot camera.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You're supposed to shoot them with a gun, not a camera!

O

Oberon

Of the three animals shown, the only one that is a game animal is the fox squirrel. This is the only fox squirrel I have seen on my father's property in nearly 40 years of roaming those woods, and I had no desire to kill it.

I killed a deer there two weeks ago, however.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I think one of those critters might have been Peguy, maybe in the background. You know, he had an event canceled for this weekend. Who knows where he is?

R

Riva

^ Well I was being serious. To kill anyone (even a fly) for the 'fun of it' is just wrong & immoral.

O

Oberon

^ Well I was being serious. To kill anyone (even a fly) for the 'fun of it' is just wrong & immoral.

Okay, three things:

1. Your morality of hunting makes no sense to me. Would you say that it's not okay to murder a person unless some major utilitarian goal is achieved through that murder, in which case it's okay? Truth is, if the action is morally wrong it's morally wrong, regardless of the outcome. The end doesn't justify the means, ever. If I hunt and kill and do not see that the meat from the animal is eaten, then I am being wasteful... guilty of bad use of resources... foolish. Not immoral.
2. Yes, I cut up the venison into freezer-appropriate portions and we will be eating it through the winter; however, though we will gain from this addition of perhaps 60 pounds of meat into our household economy, we would have also survived just fine without it. So essentially, though we're eating it, I hunted the deer and killed it because I wanted to. It was fun!
3. I'm not likely to be influenced by your judgment of my behavior in any case.

O

Oberon

Never had squirrel, chipmunk and woodpecker pie. Must try that some time.

You can try it without me, then. I was not hunting for any of these animals at the time I photographed them, nor am I likely ever to do so. The woodpecker is a federally protected species (as are all native passerine birds in the US) and illegal to kill, and I wouldn't know why you'd want to do so in any event.

You're weird, meta. :shock:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Deer are a nuisance and a hazard in many areas due to overpopulation, because there aren't enough predators to be relevant (humans included). There are frequent collisions with deer on the highways, leading to people dying. Deer overpopulation can cause starvation and disease both for deer and other animals. Not sure if there's "too many" deer where you are too, but I would guess so. They tend to become overpopulated wherever they are.

I do think it's best to use the meat, but deer are a case where there's an additional reason to cull the population. I don't really have a desire to hunt, myself (let alone the ability) but venison is delicious.

Anyway, cool critters.

rav3n

You can try it without me, then. I was not hunting for any of these animals at the time I photographed them, nor am I likely ever to do so. The woodpecker is a federally protected species (as are all native passerine birds in the US) and illegal to kill, and I wouldn't know why you'd want to do so in any event.

You're weird, meta. :shock:
I wasn't being serious. Never tried any of those animals and never will.

R

Riva

Okay, three things:

1. Your morality of hunting makes no sense to me. Would you say that it's not okay to murder a person unless some major utilitarian goal is achieved through that murder, in which case it's okay? Truth is, if the action is morally wrong it's morally wrong, regardless of the outcome. The end doesn't justify the means, ever. If I hunt and kill and do not see that the meat from the animal is eaten, then I am being wasteful... guilty of bad use of resources... foolish. Not immoral.
2. Yes, I cut up the venison into freezer-appropriate portions and we will be eating it through the winter; however, though we will gain from this addition of perhaps 60 pounds of meat into our household economy, we would have also survived just fine without it. So essentially, though we're eating it, I hunted the deer and killed it because I wanted to. It was fun!
3. I'm not likely to be influenced by your judgment of my behavior in any case.

(1)To eat it or not it is still immoral. But if something was killed due to desperation to survive (hunger) I guess it could be understood. But to kill something due to the sheer fun of it? Urghhhhhh!
(2) Well you sound like a fun guy.
(3) Well I didn't expect it to. But nothing like trying.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Learning to hunt, was one of the key evolutionary traits that have allowed us (as humans) to rise to the status we have.

If you've eaten meat you might as well have killed it. Because someone did it on your behalf. And not too far back in our past, that person would have been you.

R

Riva

Learning to hunt, was one of the key evolutionary traits that have allowed us (as humans) to rise to the status we have.

If you've eaten meat you might as well have killed it. Because someone did it on your behalf. And not too far back in our past, that person would have been you.

Hunting to fulfill your needs Vs for fun. there is a difference. :shrug:

Erghhhh! what am I doing anyway? I sound all preachy and ichy! Backs away.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
One deer killed in the woods is one cow not killed in for the store, more or less. This is where irrational nature nuts will pretend not to hold the life of one kind of animal above another, simply because that's what we're used to (cows can die all day long for meat, but not bambi). It lacks logic or rationale.

R

Riva

One deer killed in the woods is one cow not killed in for the store, more or less. This is where irrational nature nuts will pretend not to hold the life of one kind of animal above another, simply because that's what we're used to (cows can die all day long for meat, but not bambi). It lacks logic or rationale.

Well, I happen to be a .... nevermind.