• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Capers!

O

Oberon

Due to our family's assiduously following a new meal plan for dinners, including weekly menus and pre-planned shopping lists, we had a small jar of capers in the house for the first time ever last week.

Sampled by themselves they're unpleasantly salty and bitter, with an unpleasant plastic-like flavor. However, when incorporated into a savory sauce they add complexity and an interesting accent to the overall flavor.

Hooray for the humble caper! Up until last week I didn't even know what one was.

pickled%2Bcapers.JPG

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I made a chicken dish once that used capers, it was delicious don't think I've used capers since.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think capers are absolutely delicious and I use a ton of them when I make lox with cream cheese and red onion on bagels.

rav3n

Two positive nods to capers.

1. Bagel, lox, cream cheese and capers.
  2. In tartar sauce.

Beyond that, not a caper fan. They're very pungent (almost having a mustard residue to them in the nasal cavity) and acidic, so I guess that's why they're good with fish and some form of heavy mayo or cheese.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I can eat them straight out of the jar. Yes, I'm weird. I also like anchovies. But I looked it up and besides being salty, capers are actually somewhat nutritious.

I put them with my tuna fish once, mixed both with olive oil instead of mayo, and then stuck them on toasted whole grain bread with melted cheese and tomato.

rav3n

You're like a good friend of mine. He loves capers and takes them by the spoonful.

If you like anchovies, you also probably like canned sardines. Anchovies don't bother me in other foods but they're great in home made Caesar salad dressing. It's not a Caesar salad without them!

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes, as a matter of fact, I do like canned sardines!

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
I luuuuurve me some copers straight out of the jar, also sardines AND anchovies.

Totally concur with Bagel with capers, cream cheese & smoked salmon (lox)... OH GOD, SO GOOD.

Oh! Capers are also good in a cream/white wine based sauce for pasta, reduced to a really thick consistency with some spanish onion, reggiano, garlic and smoked salmon.