• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Information on Bunny Rabbits

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So my family has this pet rabbit and I need some info on taking care of it:

I was wondering, do pet rabbits bath themselves like cats, or do they need to be bathed like dogs?

Also, how often should I clean his cage, daily, weekly?

Other important bits of information are much appreciated.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Rabbits do clean themselves, just like cat. They're quite clean actually.

I've had about 5 different rabbits as pets and I've found that it is so much easier to clean their cages out if you train the rabbit to use a litter box. It's not too difficult to teach them. Whenever they poop or pee anywhere, just move it to the litter box and the rabbit will soon get the hint that that is where it should go. Rabbits are pretty clean and you'll find that they like to keep all their waste in one spot. That's why the litter box is so awesome. Plus you just really have to worry about cleaning it out everyday.

As for the actual cage, I'd clean it every week because rabbits tend to shed or get food all over the place. Normal animal stuff. Really the best way to decide if it's time to clean the cage is if it looks dirty. Pretty simple huh?

They need to be let out of their cage regularly to stretch out their legs and to just run around. Leaving them in the cage will cause them to get over weight and can cause the rabbit inflammation to their feet for sitting on them all the time. In our own home we'd allow our rabbits to run around the house and then just put them in the cage when it was time for all of us to go to bed. Always make sure the litter box is reachable for the rabbit or you'll find pellets under your bed and behind the furniture. Trust me, their urine is not pretty smelling AT ALL.

As for food, hay generally works. Along with hay, greens are a vital part of the rabbits diet because they will provide all of the nutrients that hay provides, but in addition fresh greens will provide the rabbit with water. Yes, the rabbit will have permanent access to fresh drinking water, but you can't force the rabbit to drink. When the rabbit consumes greens they are also getting a sure supply of water. Good options are broccoli, cabbage, celery, and most of the greens that are dark in color. Occasionally feed your rabbit fruits such as pineapple, pear, peach, papaya, and any of the sweet berries. It's a real treat for them.

I think that you'll find that your rabbit has a personality of it's own and if you really watch it and get to know it's characteristics, it'll tell you when it's hungry or when it's irritated that it's cage is a mess. They're quite outgoing little boogers when they're so completely comfortable.

But yes, if you have any other questions just feel free to ask! :)

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Rabbits do clean themselves, just like cat. They're quite clean actually.

That's good to know.

I've had about 5 different rabbits as pets and I've found that it is so much easier to clean their cages out if you train the rabbit to use a litter box. It's not too difficult to teach them. Whenever they poop or pee anywhere, just move it to the litter box and the rabbit will soon get the hint that that is where it should go. Rabbits are pretty clean and you'll find that they like to keep all their waste in one spot. That's why the litter box is so awesome. Plus you just really have to worry about cleaning it out everyday.

That's one of the problems that I'm having now; Sora (the rabbit) only poos some in his litter box, the rest he does all over his cage or on the floor, but then again he is also only a few weeks old, will he grow out of this or should I try and train him more strictly to use the litter box?

They need to be let out of their cage regularly to stretch out their legs and to just run around. Leaving them in the cage will cause them to get over weight and can cause the rabbit inflammation to their feet for sitting on them all the time. In our own home we'd allow our rabbits to run around the house and then just put them in the cage when it was time for all of us to go to bed. Always make sure the litter box is reachable for the rabbit or you'll find pellets under your bed and behind the furniture. Trust me, their urine is not pretty smelling AT ALL.

Actually I have this samll movable fence that I use as an area for him to run around it, and it is attached to his cage entrance so he can run in an out is needed. Yet he still seems to poo all over the floor :sick:. Luckily he doesn't pee on the floor, except for a short time I would let him jump on the top of his cage and pee through there . . . until I found out that it spalshed all over the side of his cage and on the floor :blush:.

As for food, hay generally works. Along with hay, greens are a vital part of the rabbits diet because they will provide all of the nutrients that hay provides, but in addition fresh greens will provide the rabbit with water. Yes, the rabbit will have permanent access to fresh drinking water, but you can't force the rabbit to drink. When the rabbit consumes greens they are also getting a sure supply of water. Good options are broccoli, cabbage, celery, and most of the greens that are dark in color. Occasionally feed your rabbit fruits such as pineapple, pear, peach, papaya, and any of the sweet berries. It's a real treat for them.

As a treat he does get a daily carrot to eat in addition to green leaves from outside in my backyard. But seeing as how rabbits can eat those foods as well I suppose I could feed those to him every now and then.

I think that you'll find that your rabbit has a personality of it's own and if you really watch it and get to know it's characteristics, it'll tell you when it's hungry or when it's irritated that it's cage is a mess. They're quite outgoing little boogers when they're so completely comfortable.

Oh yes, he's an ESXP! :D

Thank you for the great advice. :)

EDIT: 100th post!

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
That's one of the problems that I'm having now; Sora (the rabbit) only poos some in his litter box, the rest he does all over his cage or on the floor, but then again he is also only a few weeks old, will he grow out of this or should I try and train him more strictly to use the litter box?
You will need to train him more strictly, especially since he's still very young.
This site has a good tutorial on how to train your rabbits to use the litter box: How to Litterbox Train Your Rabbit | eHow.com

Actually I have this samll movable fence that I use as an area for him to run around it, and it is attached to his cage entrance so he can run in an out is needed. Yet he still seems to poo all over the floor :sick:. Luckily he doesn't pee on the floor, except for a short time I would let him jump on the top of his cage and pee through there . . . until I found out that it spalshed all over the side of his cage and on the floor :blush:.
:laugh: I've never heard that one before! I literally laughed out loud.

The movable fence sounds like a good idea! It sounds like you have that part down.
As a treat he does get a daily carrot to eat in addition to green leaves from outside in my backyard. But seeing as how rabbits can eat those foods as well I suppose I could feed those to him every now and then.
Rabbits are pretty easy to feed. As long as your not feeding them scraps and meat like you would a dog, you should be fine.

Oh yes, he's an ESXP! :D

Thank you for the great advice. :)

EDIT: 100th post!
Aw, a little ESXP rabbit. You're gonna have fun with that one! One of my favorite rabbits seemed pretty ISTP. He was very proficient at licking the food off my dads beard, :laugh:

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My dad's huge black bunny Jaden used to take a hand off to get at bananas. I had never seen a rabbit so stoked about bananas in my life. Bunnies and banana - never twain shall meet? Unless he's a bunny from the rainforest.

rav3n

This thread is adorable.

Not much to add about care of rabbits beyond not feeding them certain kinds of lettuce or cabbage since they can upset their stomachs.

And, pictures please! Bunnies are so cute.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
This was my ISTP bunny. We called him baby :wubbie:
3100629874_c7a68cd794.jpg

He was quite the frisky one though. He was ALWAYS humping the darn cat! Even after he was fixed he continued doing it.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thanks for more additional advice! :D

And baby looks so cute.

I'll post some pics of Sora either later tonight or tommorrow.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Sweet! I can't wait to see him! :D

And you're very welcome. If you ever have questions feel free to ask away. :)

rav3n

This was my ISTP bunny. We called him baby :wubbie:
3100629874_c7a68cd794.jpg

He was quite the frisky one though. He was ALWAYS humping the darn cat! Even after he was fixed he continued doing it.
Awww...lop-eared bunnies are so cute!

Your cat must have been really tolerant.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Stepho's got this pretty much covered :)

I just wanted to add to make sure you mostly feed him hay, and not that rabbit food and an overabundance of apples and carrots. Rabbits are native to Spain and their main staple was dry grass.

Also, they were busy an entire day gathering food. If you give them high energy food in a small bowl, they'll get bored and lazy, as they have nothing else to do and might get stressed.

Other than that, make sure that the cage has no level changes, as rabbits don't deal well with that.

Enjoy your little bunny ;)

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Bunnies is practically kitties!:wubbie:

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm having a little technical trouble trying to get the pics posted, but I'll try and have them posted soon, sorry for the wait.