• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Anyone have any good recipes using saffron?

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have a pretty substantial amount of ground saffron from a spice set I purchased while at a spice market in Turkey a few yrs back, and I realize now that I may have waited too long to use it but I should still try using it anyway. :)

I've never cooked anything with saffron in it before.

Does anyone have any recipes or suggestions on how I should use it?

MBTI Type
INTJ
I have a great recipe for risotto alla milanese, which uses saffron. I've made this a few times and it's great. It's traditionally served with osso bucco, but it's great with asparagus or shredded chicken on top too.

Usually saffron comes in tiny threads...I've never seen it ground up, so the amount of saffron to use might be affected a bit. Always be conservative when estimating saffron, it's quite strong.

Creamy Saffron Risotto Recipe - D'Orazio Food Events | Food & Wine

A pinch of saffron is also great in soups and stews.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have a great recipe for risotto alla milanese, which uses saffron. I've made this a few times and it's great. It's traditionally served with osso bucco, but it's great with asparagus or shredded chicken on top too.

Usually saffron comes in tiny threads...I've never seen it ground up, so the amount of saffron to use might be affected a bit. Always be conservative when estimating saffron, it's quite strong.

Creamy Saffron Risotto Recipe - D'Orazio Food Events | Food & Wine

Awesome!! Thank you.

Yeah..I'll have to do some research to see what the ground saffron will equate to when comparing to the saffron threads..... I'm sure the ground isn't nearly is high quality, and might be adulterated with other things too for all I know.

Edit: Looks like 1/2 tsp threads = 1/4 tsp powder/ground. But, since my stuff is so old and now less potent, I'd probably want to bump the amt up? Or maybe it's not that it's less potent it's just that the flavor will have gone south. Hmm. Well, as you suggest, it's probably better to go conservative than too much.

rav3n

Arroz con pollos, paella and cioppino all use saffron in a delicious way.

It's hard to say how much saffron to use reliant on grade of saffron, even if it's a little less potent due to time. IMO, rule of thumb for high grade saffron would be less is better.

rav3n

Oops, forgot to post recipe. All measurements and cooking times are approximate.

-----------------------------------

Arroz con Pollo

Ingredients:

2 lbs chicken breast
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/16 tsp paprika
Olive oil

1/2 medium finely chopped sweet onion
Olive oil

1 minced garlic clove
1 1/4 c homemade chicken broth (if store bought use low sodium - do not use bullion cubes or packages. The flavour to these is ick and there’s way too much salt.)
1.5 c diced ripe tomatoes (if unripe, compensate with some additional chicken broth and a pinch of sugar)
1/16 - 1/8 tsp high or medium grade saffron
1/4 tsp basil
1 bay leaf (dispose after done.)

1 c long grain rice

Preparation:

Season chicken with salt, pepper and paprika, then brown in some olive oil.

Drain oil and place chicken in a large casserole.

Sauté onion in some olive oil.

Then add garlic, chicken broth, tomatoes and seasoning, stirring until it's well mixed and simmering for a very short while.

Add rice and bring to a boil. Pour over chicken. Cover tightly and bake for 35 min at 350 degrees. Uncover, toss rice, bake for another 15 min.

------------------------------------

Leftovers freeze well and can be microwaved from frozen to ready to eat, if frozen into individual servings.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't have a recipe, but I love indian sweet rice with saffron. :drool:

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oops, forgot to post recipe. All measurements and cooking times are approximate.

Arroz con Pollo

Ingredients:

2 lbs chicken breast
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/16 tsp paprika
Olive oil

Olive oil

1 minced garlic clove
1 1/4 c homemade chicken broth (if store bought use low sodium - do not use bullion cubes or packages. The flavour to these is ick and there’s way too much salt.)
1.5 c diced ripe tomatoes (if unripe, compensate with some additional chicken broth and a pinch of sugar)
1/4 tsp basil

1 c long grain rice

Preparation:

Then add garlic, chicken broth, tomatoes and seasoning, stirring until it's well mixed and simmering for a very short while.

Add rice and bring to a boil. Pour over chicken. Cover tightly and bake for 35 min at 350 degrees. Uncover, toss rice, bake for another 15 min.

Leftovers freeze well and can be microwaved from frozen to ready to eat, if frozen into individual servings.

YUMMY. Will try this after my next grocery trip!!!! Thanks.

EffEm - Am cooking yours tonight!! We shall see whether my saffron works or not!!!! ;)

(And if it doesn't, I'll just have to buy some genuine saffron threads because these recipes are making my mouth water!)

MBTI Type
INTJ
BTW, Cascade...that recipe makes a LOT. And risotto just does not reheat well at all, it gets totally gross. So two things I like to make with the leftovers are arancini and risotto cakes. These are leftovers that taste so good that it's reason enough to make the dish to begin with.

Risotto Cakes
Arancini

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
BTW, Cascade...that recipe makes a LOT. And risotto just does not reheat well at all, it gets totally gross. So two things I like to make with the leftovers are arancini and risotto cakes. These are leftovers that taste so good that it's reason enough to make the dish to begin with.

Risotto Cakes
Arancini

Ooh, a way to make the risotto even more delectably unhealthy and scrumptious!!! :happy2: The only thing I lack for those recipes is an easy way to divide the egg whites/yolk.

Ah, that's a shame it doesn't reheat well... I wasn't aware of that and had planned on 2-3 more meals with it!! I'll still try it, but have taken note that it'll get totally gross. ;)

Cooked it last night, btw....WOW, so wonderful!!! That recipe was great; very easy to follow, and it was my first time ever making risotto and it turned out well. It would be interesting seeing the difference between different types of wine used... I used some pinot grigio that had been sitting, open, in my fridge for about a month just awaiting a cooking need. Anyway, it was fantastic with the pinot grigio.

What type of wine do you usually cook with?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp

Arroz con Pollo

Ingredients:

2 lbs chicken breast
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/16 tsp paprika
Olive oil

Olive oil

1 minced garlic clove
1/4 tsp basil

1 c long grain rice

Preparation:

this looks so good, I should buy some saffron and make this, I feel like its something everyone in this apartment would like.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Yeah Risotto alla Milanese is really good. The more butter and saffron you use, the tastier it gets. I don't believe wine has a particularly big influence, since saffron has a strong taste to begin with. Oh, risotto should usually be al dente, which means not over-cooked - this way it'll keep a decent taste even if you want to reheat.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah Risotto alla Milanese is really good. The more butter and saffron you use, the tastier it gets. I don't believe wine has a particularly big influence, since saffron has a strong taste to begin with. Oh, risotto should usually be al dente, which means not over-cooked - this way it'll keep a decent taste even if you want to reheat.

Thanks for the input!

I think mine ended up being if not quite al dente, barely beyond al dente. So perhaps it will be ok reheated.

rav3n

this looks so good, I should buy some saffron and make this, I feel like its something everyone in this apartment would like.
I've made it many times since it's easy. Just make sure you add enough broth to compensate for tomatoes that aren't ripe and you'll have no problems.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Don´t know how willing you are to experiment, but I mainly use saffron for Persian cooking. One classic would be rice with saffron and barberry (usually eaten with chicken) or rice with saffron, almonds and different nuts (great with lamb). The latter is one of my favorite dishes ever.

Also, according to an old German children´s song, in the olden days saffron used to a key ingredient in cakes.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Don´t know how willing you are to experiment, but I mainly use saffron for Persian cooking. One classic would be rice with saffron and barberry (usually eaten with chicken) or rice with saffron, almonds and different nuts (great with lamb). The latter is one of my favorite dishes ever.

Also, according to an old German children´s song, in the olden days saffron used to a key ingredient in cakes.

I am quite willing to experiment and would love the recipe you're referencing.

(I am a total fan of the flavors of those cuisines... ethiopian, turkish, persian/middle eastern... yummy. Those 3 weeks of eating while traveling through Turkey were utter heaven.... I know Persian would have some differences, but there would be crossover)

MBTI Type
INTJ
Ooh, a way to make the risotto even more delectably unhealthy and scrumptious!!! :happy2: The only thing I lack for those recipes is an easy way to divide the egg whites/yolk.

Ah, that's a shame it doesn't reheat well... I wasn't aware of that and had planned on 2-3 more meals with it!! I'll still try it, but have taken note that it'll get totally gross. ;)

Cooked it last night, btw....WOW, so wonderful!!! That recipe was great; very easy to follow, and it was my first time ever making risotto and it turned out well. It would be interesting seeing the difference between different types of wine used... I used some pinot grigio that had been sitting, open, in my fridge for about a month just awaiting a cooking need. Anyway, it was fantastic with the pinot grigio.

What type of wine do you usually cook with?

I'm glad it went well and you liked it! The trick is to know when it's done and then serve it immediately so it's good and creamy.

Separating eggs isn't that hard...you can crack the egg into a slotted spoon if you have one and then kind of nudge the yolk around. Alternatively, you can crack the egg in half over a bowl and then keep pouring the yolk back and forth into each half of the shell until the white falls away. Keep in mind that for recipes that call for egg white, it's imperative not to let even the tiniest bit of yolk get in, but with recipes calling for yolk, it doesn't matter if a little white gets in.

I like red wine a lot better than white wine, but red wine doesn't really work for risotto, so I usually use sauvignon blanc simply because it's a white wine I don't mind. I don't think it really matters as long as the wine is on the dry side.

If you do try to reheat it, I would recommend putting it on the stove under low heat with a little wine or broth to remoisturize it and maybe a pat of butter. Stir it while it heats and if you think you need to add a little more liquid go ahead. Good luck!

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Arroz con Pollo

Ingredients:

2 lbs chicken breast
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/16 tsp paprika
Olive oil

Olive oil

1 minced garlic clove
1/4 tsp basil

1 c long grain rice

Preparation:

:nice: Great recipe. Cooked it last night. Two more leftover meals!! yahoo!

(I am now demonstrating how hardcore I am when I actually have a question like this & am seeking input -- I really do follow through, almost manically!!! hahahah. :blush: Every now and then I get into a cooking mood! )

Will gladly take any other recipes anyone might have! But in my book...this thread has already been a huge success! Thanks people!

rav3n

:nice: Great recipe. Cooked it last night. Two more leftover meals!! yahoo!
Awesome! I always like to know how it turned out and if it turned out poorly, help to figure out why and what could improve it for that person. Everyone's oven and personal tastes vary so when cooking, cook to taste, rather than following the exact recipe.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Awesome! I always like to know how it turned out and if it turned out poorly, help to figure out why and what could improve it for that person. Everyone's oven and personal tastes vary so when cooking, cook to taste, rather than following the exact recipe.

I ended up doing as you suggested, adding a bit more broth because I was pretty certain the tomatoes wouldn't add enough moisture (although as store-bought tomatoes go, the ones I used were probably as good as you can find these days).

Very excellent though!!!! :yes:

rav3n

If you want to step it up a notch, here's another saffron recipe. It's pretty bullet-proof, as long as you don't overcook the seafood.

Cioppino

Extra Virgin olive oil
1 chopped onion
1.5 sliced leeks (1/8” thick)

2 c. chicken stock (home made or low sodium)
2 minced garlic cloves
1 tomato, diced
1.5 tbsp tomato paste
1 c. clam nectar
1/2 tsp salt
small pinch of pepper
small pinch of saffron threads
1/4 tsp thyme
1 bay leaf

1 lbs of white fish (pick your favourite)
1 lbs of shellfish (pick your favourites)

Parsley sprigs

Heat olive oil in large pot and saute onions and leeks until soft. Add balance of ingredients except for the seafood and simmer for 45 min. Bring liquid back to boil and put in firm fleshed fish (halibut, tuna, salmon, etc.) first for 5 min then add tender fleshed (sole, basso, etc.) fish and seafood. Simmer for 5 min. Lift out seafood as soon as it's cooked and keep warm. Boil remaining liquid for an additional 10 min. to reduce. Strain liquid through sieve, mashing soft veggies through. Garnish with parsley sprigs.

All measurements and cooking times are approximate.

--------------------------------------------------------------

This recipe is so easy but worth it. The amount is for 3 or 4 small appetites or two very large ones.

My preference is to serve it with a fresh, crusty ciabatta, light salad and a light but dry Chardonnay. Avoid well-oaked Chardonnays since so much seafood, combined with a more full bodied white wine will be too much. If you enjoy Rieslings, you could do that. I'm not partial to the citrus bite, preferring Rieslings with creamy pasta dishes where your colon needs cleansing (Not a wine expert. Only know my preferences.)