• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Anyone have any good recipes using saffron?

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you want to step it up a notch, here's another saffron recipe. It's pretty bullet-proof, as long as you don't overcook the seafood.

Cioppino

Extra Virgin olive oil
1 chopped onion
1.5 sliced leeks (1/8” thick)

2 c. chicken stock (home made or low sodium)
2 minced garlic cloves
1 tomato, diced
1.5 tbsp tomato paste
1 c. clam nectar
1/2 tsp salt
small pinch of pepper
small pinch of saffron threads
1/4 tsp thyme
1 bay leaf

1 lbs of white fish (pick your favourite)
1 lbs of shellfish (pick your favourites)

Parsley sprigs

Heat olive oil in large pot and saute onions and leeks until soft. Add balance of ingredients except for the seafood and simmer for 45 min. Bring liquid back to boil and put in firm fleshed fish (halibut, tuna, salmon, etc.) first for 5 min then add tender fleshed (sole, basso, etc.) fish and seafood. Simmer for 5 min. Lift out seafood as soon as it's cooked and keep warm. Boil remaining liquid for an additional 10 min. to reduce. Strain liquid through sieve, mashing soft veggies through. Garnish with parsley sprigs.

All measurements and cooking times are approximate.

--------------------------------------------------------------

This recipe is so easy but worth it. The amount is for 3 or 4 small appetites or two very large ones.

My preference is to serve it with a fresh, crusty ciabatta, light salad and a light but dry Chardonnay. Avoid well-oaked Chardonnays since so much seafood, combined with a more full bodied white wine will be too much. If you enjoy Rieslings, you could do that. I'm not partial to the citrus bite, preferring Rieslings with creamy pasta dishes where your colon needs cleansing (Not a wine expert. Only know my preferences.)

Wow, awesome, Metaphor!! Thanks for the additional recipe. I have not cooked anything with leeks before, but don't think that would be an issue. Also haven't ever cooked a dish that had fish in it (I've only baked fish separately), but again, is something I could totally try. I'm not sure about shellfish, though... what are typical choices for shellfish?

Your ciabatta and salad suggestion is great. As for wines, I'm no expert either.. I just have my preferences, like you. :)

rav3n

Wow, awesome, Metaphor!! Thanks for the additional recipe. I have not cooked anything with leeks before, but don't think that would be an issue. Also haven't ever cooked a dish that had fish in it (I've only baked fish separately), but again, is something I could totally try. I'm not sure about shellfish, though... what are typical choices for shellfish?

Your ciabatta and salad suggestion is great. As for wines, I'm no expert either.. I just have my preferences, like you. :)
You're welcome. I normally dislike leaks but love the additional flavour in the cioppino.

Shellfish choice is personal preference. I dislike mussels and oysters but love shrimp, scallops, lobster, clams, abalone and conch (wouldn't use conch or abalone for this recipe). Crayfish is okay but I wouldn't pick it for this dish.

So, probably any combination of mussels, clams, shrimp, lobster and scallops. Not sure about oysters since they have such a strong flavour.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You're welcome. I normally dislike leaks but love the additional flavour in the cioppino.

Shellfish choice is personal preference. I dislike mussels and oysters but love shrimp, scallops, lobster, clams, abalone and conch (wouldn't use conch or abalone for this recipe). Crayfish is okay but I wouldn't pick it for this dish.

So, probably any combination of mussels, clams, shrimp, lobster and scallops. Not sure about oysters since they have such a strong flavour.

Great, thank you. I think for me it will be shrimp!!! :)

Dumb question, but would the shrimp be the 'tender fleshed fish'?

(I don't think I'll get to this recipe for another week or two! haha)

rav3n

Great, thank you. I think for me it will be shrimp!!! :)

Dumb question, but would the shrimp be the 'tender fleshed fish'?

(I don't think I'll get to this recipe for another week or two! haha)
The seafood and fish are separate. Tender fleshed fish would be fish like sole and basso which if overcooked, tends to almost melt. Tuna, white salmon and halibut are the heavier, more dense fish textures.

Caveat: Younger, smaller halibut can be almost tender fleshed but the type you get most often, are the more mature halibut with larger flakes when cooked.

I encourage you to use more variety than just shrimp as the seafood and one type of fish for the fish side. The more variety, the better.

Hey, make it anytime you feel like it. No rush or pressure. Hope you like it. :)

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The seafood and fish are separate. Tender fleshed fish would be fish like sole and basso which if overcooked, tends to almost melt. Tuna, white salmon and halibut are the heavier, more dense fish textures.

Caveat: Younger, smaller halibut can be almost tender fleshed but the type you get most often, are the more mature halibut with larger flakes when cooked.

I encourage you to use more variety than just shrimp as the seafood and one type of fish for the fish side. The more variety, the better.

Hey, make it anytime you feel like it. No rush or pressure. Hope you like it. :)

uggh, I'm so dumb, I was equating 'Fish' with 'everything in the sea' :smile: Thanks for clarifying & thanks for the other tips!