• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

American Beer

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
During the hot summer I rather resent European beer and American micro brews. Rather during this season prefer the "pissh" American and Mexican mass marketed light beers.

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If I buy a Budweiser at a bar, like I do when I drink, I get asked

Do you want
budweiser-budvar-24x330ml-.jpg

or
Budweiser?

Beorn

Permabanned
About to head out to the local brew pub. A black IPA is not something that immediately appeals to me. However, since this pub makes one they call Sex Panther I can't really turn that down. Marketing win.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I don't drink much beer anymore but don't think I've every had an American beer that was actually good.

It's kind of like hot sauces. I can get a 69 cent bottle of Mexican hot sauce that's far better than any five dollar bottle of US hot sauce.

We seem to be incapable of brewing good beer.

Czech beer is probably the best though Belgium has some good ones too.

I disagree. Tons of good beer that comes out of microbreweries here in America, it's just not widely distributed/marketed. You've gotta become a bit of a snob and search it out.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I disagree. Tons of good beer that comes out of microbreweries here in America, it's just not widely distributed/marketed. You've gotta become a bit of a snob and search it out.

I've never had a microbrew that I thought was better than mediocre. Not a one that is even as good as Hienikin.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I've never had a microbrew that I thought was better than mediocre. Not a one that is even as good as Hienikin.

Heineken sucks.

I think a lot of the Sam Adams are even better than Heineken.

I tend to like Belgian beers like Blue Moon and Hoegaarden, but I actually agree with Spamtar that Mexican beer is better in the summer. I drink more Coronas with lime (best) and Pabst Blue Ribbon (cheap) in the summer.

Wine isn't as good in the summer, either, mostly because I prefer dry reds which are better in cooler weather or at least at night.

Not that I drink all day.

I'm just going to stop talking now.

W

WALMART

:wubbie:

Reminds me that I was at Cowboys for a Randy Roger's concert a couple weeks ago and had thought about you. I believe we're overdue for a two-step, sir. :yes:

Randy fuckin' Rogers. Have you been to Floore's, out towards Boerne?

We are far overdue, it should be remedied asap!

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6

Well, I don't know what to say but I'd venture to say you haven't done much exploring. Heineken is not good or special, at all...

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, I don't know what to say but I'd venture to say you haven't done much exploring. Heineken is not good or special, at all...

I disagree. The stuff is pretty good. It's a matter of taste really.

Czech beer is the best I have had. I don't have much of the stuff anymore though (not since my early 30s). Sam Adams I cannot stand.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I think in the 80s and the first part of the 90s American beer did kind of suck. But now the best American beers are as good as anyone's. Anything from Deschutes, Dogfish Head, Stone, or Lagunitas is top notch. I really like Red Hook too, it's a teeny step down from those, but it's more affordable as well. I've never really enjoyed Heineken. It's fine I guess, but it's not something I'd seek out.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think in the 80s and the first part of the 90s American beer did kind of suck. But now the best American beers are as good as anyone's. Anything from Deschutes, Dogfish Head, Stone, or Lagunitas is top notch. I really like Red Hook too, it's a teeny step down from those, but it's more affordable as well. I've never really enjoyed Heineken. It's fine I guess, but it's not something I'd seek out.

So are you saying Red Hook is as good as Pilsner Urquell or Newcastle Brown Ale? I don't see how it's even close. I haven't had those other ones you mention.

By the way, I'm not a big Heineken fan. I just think it's better than any of the American beers I've had.

MBTI Type
INTJ
So are you saying Red Hook is as good as Pilsner Urquell or Newcastle Brown Ale? I don't see how it's even close. I haven't had those other ones you mention.

No, Red Hook is not as good as Newcastle, but Newcastle is an exceptional beer. I wasn't saying it's better than every beer from another country, merely that it's an example of an everyday American beer I like that's quite good. Your point was that you thought there weren't any good American beers, and that is one. I don't care much for Pilsner Urquell, but that's a taste thing, I understand it's held in high regard.

Beorn

Permabanned
This is good beer

I hate to pile on, but that's a beer to avoid in America along with Heineken. It's not a matter of taste, but of science. Green bottles let more UV light in that ruins beers and makes them skunky. It's hit or miss depending on freshness and storage with domestic green bottled beer like Yuengling (which is the best cheap beer when on draft on the east coast) but an imported green bottled beer will almost always taste skunky.

I can't remember if I've had the Czech bud, but I did have a staropramen and it's pretty good, though I don't see what all the fuss is about. However, I do agree that Newcastle is always a really great solid and dependable beer choice.

Edit: A supporting article
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/03/physics-and-green-beer-bottles/

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
FM knows what's up. I lived in Seattle for a little over a year. The Northwest has great stuff. Deschutes, Elysian, Fremont Brewing Co., Maritime Brewing Co., Red Hook, Pyramid, and the list goes on. Stone is from San Diego, but they are the shit as well. Probably the best beer I've had from Seattle is Quilters Irish Death from Iron Horse Brewery - it's classified as a "dark smooth ale".

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout from Northcoast is good too.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I hate to pile on, but that's a beer to avoid in America along with Heineken. It's not a matter of taste, but of science. Green bottles let more UV light in that ruins beers and makes them skunky. It's hit or miss depending on freshness and storage with domestic green bottled beer like Yuengling

I don't care much about science, only what tastes good. The original Bud is excellent. Belgium has some pretty good beer too if I can recall correctly.

sorenx7

By the way, I'm not a big Heineken fan. I just think it's better than any of the American beers I've had.

Totally agree.