• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

American Beer

Trentham

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Omigawd...

* must hit up the one liquor store in a 100 mile radius that sells microbrews tonight *

Beorn

Permabanned
Then there's Weyerbacher Insanity Ale... it's aged in bourbon barrels too, and has a pretty pronounced bourbon flavor. It's also over 11% ABV.

607914981_LDAF2-XL.jpg

WANT

Trentham

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
j5igkn.jpg

Oooh lookie.

This has served me well tonight.

Only had to drive 30 miles out of my way to get it. :alttongue:

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Dude, you must try it. It may be my favorite beer of all time. Strong, but not distractingly so, tastes great, will get you drunker'n shit, and comes in those huge awesome bottles.

It has been added to my list.

Which part of TN do you reside in?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Anheuser Busch sued the organisators of the soccer world championship in Germany cause they wont sell their beers. The organisators quickly said, well we are doing this because noone will drink APW here and gave them the right to sell it. Noone bought it.

It's good that you get back to microbrewery tradition. There are 1326 breweries in Germany and they all have their story. This always a very great and intresting thing from which you learn a lot about the place you're at :)

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
Beat.

Try anything from Redhook. And anything from ELYSIAN, especially the Men's Room Red.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I tried Elysian's Dragonstooth Stout when I went out to a joint on Capitol Hill with my friend, last weekend. It was tasty!

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
It stands for American Piss Water, and thank Heaven it is a style that appears to be on the wane in the US. In the APW class you can find all the classic US "premium" lagers such as the archetypal Budweiser, Coors, Miller, Stroh's, Pabst, and so on... essentially anything marketed by Anheuser Busch, Miller Brewing, the Molson Coors Company, or any of their subsidiaries, to include "lite" beers, "ice" beers, malt liquors, and so on.

it's not on the wane at all... cheap beer still dominates in the USA. microbrews are exploding and selling like gangbusters, and for some people microbrews are the only beer that exists anymore. but Bud and Miller and the rest still blow them away. in my experience cheap beer still outsells microbrews a million to one in the USA.

i love microbrews, but i am not ashamed to say i am a Bud man.
actually i am a Tecate Man. +

Beer could potentially save civilization, you know! :D

absolutely right!!++

Oberon if you haven't had Fat tire or any other beer made by new belgium you should try it out. I hear that they have expanded distribution to NC.

1554!!

New+Belgium+Brewing+1554+and+Ribs.JPG

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
1554 rules. I love all New Belgium's stuff.

I just got one of these (Pyramid Brewery) from Safeway... For not even $2 it's pretty good. 7% alc, ftw.

3251236192_2512faf2ea.jpg

O

Oberon

it's not on the wane at all... cheap beer still dominates in the USA. microbrews are exploding and selling like gangbusters, and for some people microbrews are the only beer that exists anymore. but Bud and Miller and the rest still blow them away. in my experience cheap beer still outsells microbrews a million to one in the USA.

Yes, but those numbers are slowly shifting in the microbrews' favor. I heard on the radio just this week that overall beer sales were down 7% this year compared to last year, but microbrew sales were up... which means that it's the premium beer manufacturers that are taking it in the shorts.

Which doesn't bother me in the least. They make an inferior product, they deserve to lose sales.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't drink much beer anymore but don't think I've every had an American beer that was actually good.

It's kind of like hot sauces. I can get a 69 cent bottle of Mexican hot sauce that's far better than any five dollar bottle of US hot sauce.

We seem to be incapable of brewing good beer.

Czech beer is probably the best though Belgium has some good ones too.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
one of the bars across the river in college always had Indiana Beer Day, when the beers from our microbreweries were sold at a discount... my sis and I would always go to hit up our favorite microbrews from the state... she absolutley adores Upland Brewery's Wheat Ale while I tended to go for Three Floyd's Robert the Bruce Scottish Style Ale.... both are worth recommending :yes:

O

Oberon

We seem to be incapable of brewing good beer.

Well, before you render that final judgment I would recommend that you go back and try products from the brewers that have been mentioned... notably New Belgium, Pyramid, Dogfish Head, Brooklyn, Sierra Nevada, and Victory. I fully agree that nothing in the APW class is worth the trouble.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
Beer could potentially save civilization, you know! :D

Some historians believe that it was instrumental in starting civilization, giving hunter-gatherers a good reason to adopt settled agriculture.

I have to admit, though, that I prefer American Piss Water to any beer that tastes like Sam Adams-of course, I don't drink beer for the taste, anyway.