• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mold

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I have discovered that we have mold in our basement. Not just mold, a mold problem. At first I thought it was just a little bit in the corner, but upon further inspection, I found several large patches behind shelves and whatnot.

We have no money for mold removal. I mean none. Calling a professional is not really an option, but this mold needs to go away soon.

I've done some research online, and it seems like removing the mold on our own will be a huge pain in the arse, but not impossible, as it is luckily confined to our to concrete block walls concrete floor in the basement - I am pretty sure it's not behind any drywall or in any wood. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience doing something like this. How did it work out for you? Do you have any tips or warnings for someone about to undertake DIY mold removal?

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Bleach and dryness remove mold, no?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Honestly, removing it doesn't sound like too much of a problem if you take the precautions. Keeping it from happening again could be an issue, though. You should think about addressing the cause.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Right -- if you get rid of the dampness, you get rid of the mold.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Yeah, I think we might need to repair our gutters - it's really only on one side of the house, except for one other spot under a window. So that's probably leaking, which is easy to fix, and then I heard you can use kitty litter to absorb the humidity in the air. So once we get rid of it, hopefully that will control it.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I know the cost can be an issue but a dehumidifier would be far more efficient at removing the moisture. Look on craigslist or something.