• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Medicinal Foods and Herbs

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I just found out something about pineapples that gives me a lot of hope. I found it on a raw foods site. They contain the enzyme Bromelain which is an anti-inflammatory that helps muscles to heal. It can also help people with arthiritis. It sounds like maybe it can help with a few chronic pain issues related to inflammation.

Do you know of natural foods and herbs that have been of help with chronic pain and other health issues? I realize it is an entire field of study and there is tons of information available, but I thought it could also be useful as a thread where people could share their experiences with these and also it might be a way to discover something helpful unexpectedly. I was also so hopeful about the pineapple and know there are others on this site with chronic pain, so I thought I'd mention it.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
We used aloe vera plants in the back yard for everything growing up. If I ever have kids, I'm planting aloe vera back there for them to get into.

Watermelon contains more healthy stuff than spinach does, so if you don't like spinach, you can eat watermelon for the same ingredients. I didnt know that till I read a magazine about it.

I didnt know that stint on the pineapple though, so that rocks. :3 Gives me even more of a reason to eat it.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Yes, many foods and non-food plants have lots of medical uses. Ginger is a great remedy for stomach upsets and motion sickness, for instance. Fennel is awesome for stimulating movement in the smooth muscle around your intestines, which means it also helps for a sour stomach. Coconuts also have some great uses. One I'm taking advantage of right now is in the special properties found in the coconut oil for sinus problems (likely an oncoming sinus infection). The medium chain fatty acids and other chemicals in the coconut oil help to break up mucus, sooth irritated sinuses, and most importantly actually kill bacteria and viruses. I've used the oil from fresh coconuts for a sinus infection before, and it was the only significant relief I was able to find when it got super bad. Cleared up within 2 days after I started using it.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Plantago, a very common plant now considered a weed, is a good plant for skin irritations and insect stings/bites.

Plantago-major.jpg
starr_080327_3875_plantago_lanceolata.jpg

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
himalayan sea salt.
Himalayan Living Salt

Re-mineralizing the body with minerals and trace elements essential to health
Replenishing electrolytes
Balancing the body's pH
Improving respiratory, circulatory, organ, connectivity tissue and nervous system functions.
Assisting in the cellular absorption of nutrients.

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Do you know of natural foods and herbs that have been of help with chronic pain and other health issues? I realize it is an entire field of study and there is tons of information available, but I thought it could also be useful as a thread where people could share their experiences with these and also it might be a way to discover something helpful unexpectedly.

I know someone with chronic pain (at the has-to wear-the transdermal-fentanyl-patch-and-still-suffers level of pain :() and this person has recently found some comfort in some of those herbal, plant essences.
They are natural and plant based. I know you were looking for healing foods to eat specifically, and I am not trying to shill for them, but if someone is in chronic pain I thought you might want to know.

Last edited:

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Everything Risen and cafe said. I use coconut oil for most of my cooking that requires added fat now, and also as lotion. I used it to get rid of lice earlier this summer. And I've used that weed cafe mentioned for bee stings before. It works VERY well. My SIL told me you can just chew up the leaves and pack the spit/leaves mixture on the sting for a few minutes, so you don't even have to carry anything around to make it work in the field. And that stuff is EVERYWHERE around here.

I am a huge fan of fish oil as a daily supplement- we all take it, and a bigger dose than most (just be sure it's fish oil and not cod liver oil because a bigger dose of CLO will have you ODing on Vitamin A). I believe kids especially don't get enough of it as their brains are developing. I know it's extremely subjective but it really does seem as if my son's language development (which is delayed) picked up considerably when I started him on fish oil.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I completely forgot my very favorite ones: watermelon and eggs for high blood pressure. (Not together! :D) When I was pregnant with my second child I was on bedrest for a couple of weeks near the end because of my blood pressure. My midwife "prescribed" me a temporary diet of six eggs and a whole watermelon a day (plus whatever else I wanted, but nothing until I had eaten that so I wouldn't be eating past the point of hunger to get all of it in). After only a day or two of that, my ankles were back to their normal size and the next time I went in, my BP was down by about 10 points on both top and bottom.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
just skimmed through the book "the inflammation syndrome" (pdf found at a shady download blog)
written by jack challem

curcumin works for arthritis by deactivating genes that promote inflammation.

it has many other advantages, for instance it reduces the plaques that are a byproduct of alzheimer's. protects against cancer, too.

the book also recommends the anti inflammatory herbs:

-pycnogenol, an extract from french maritime pine bark (pinus pinaster)
-boswellia
-ginger

the fat combination you eat is also very relevant, well i cant summarize that whole book ...

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've done a great deal of reading on herbal medicine and on aromatherapy.

I have used infusions of nettle, lemon balm, red clover, red raspberry leaf...salves from witch hazel, plantain, burdock root.

Flax seed oil, evening primrose oil, vitamin D, and magnesium are all good for balancing immune function and reducing inflammatory response.

Kefir, homemade yogurt, miso...fermented foods are very good, too.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
"3. Increase your intake of antioxidants. Wild blueberries, for example, have high anthocyanin and antioxidant content that are known to guard against Alzheimer's and other neurological diseases." source

"Several weeks ago, I wrote about my sister's dentist prescribing bee propolis (an anti-inflammatory resin created by bees used to protect their hives from fungus and bacteria) for her mouth pain and infection. I was especially interested because my sister, Diane, suffered for quite some time prior to switching to her new alternative dentist. Diane's smile today is gorgeous and her pain relief is so complete, I asked her dentist if she would share information with me about how she accomplished this transformation of my sister."
source

Sharkasm

MBTI Type
INTP
We've had two series of a programme called 'Grow your own drugs' on the BBC over here which you may find interesting. Not sure if they're still available to view on the BBC website but I'm pretty sure the recipes are.

It deals with minor ailments and ways of treating them with common (British admittedly) plants, trees & herbs. I found it quite interesting .... although it helped that the presenter is quite easy on the eyeballs imo

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
I'm your girl. It would take me a zillion years to type everything I know on this subject...anything in particular you'd be interested in?

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
Well, practically speaking, any herbs or foods that support an overall sense of energy and well being are going to enhance your sex life: Saw Palmetto, Ginseng and Damiana are good for reproductive support.

If tension is the issue, Skullcap can help. Valerian isn't good for this, though, because it's a muscle relaxant, and it will actually decrease your drive to do anything but sleep a lot. ;)

Honestly? Drink a glass of wine. Or two. Exercise regularly. And practice good hygiene. :shrug:

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm your girl. It would take me a zillion years to type everything I know on this subject...anything in particular you'd be interested in?
What do you know about reducing chronic muscle tension/pain and minimizing anxiety through this approach?

Edit: I should also mention that Bromelain, the enzyme from pineapples can thin the blood, so it is a no-no for people with ulcers.

F

figsfiggyfigs

Oh i Know a lot, but I don't know their English name!!! I'll have to ask Mother.