• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Offal Eaters Unit!

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I love calves liver with onion gravy, mashed potato and peas! Tongue is a favourite, as is brawn (made with the head and offcuts), deviled kidneys, the occasional tripe in white sauce with onion and parsley, chicken livers cooked in butter and served on toast, marrow, and my Jewish Grandmother's chopped liver (chicken crackling, chopped egg and chicken liver).

I make my own paté but cannot stand the texture or taste of brains.

O

Oberon

Oh, I almost forgot... as a child I regularly ate my family's holiday favorite entree, hog maw (Pennsylvania Dutch style).

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
i never knew it was called "offal", i had to look that word up...

i like menudo a lot. i like chicken feet, rip into it! those are both big in mexico.
i had a cow brain sandwich, it was really good. i had dog meat, that freaked a lot of my friends out more than anything else.. that was the worst for a lot of people that i know. it was very good.
i have had liver and eyes and bull testicles and things too.

Lark

i never knew it was called "offal", i had to look that word up...

i like menudo a lot. i like chicken feet, rip into it! those are both big in mexico.
i had a cow brain sandwich, it was really good. i had dog meat, that freaked a lot of my friends out more than anything else.. that was the worst for a lot of people that i know. it was very good.
i have had liver and eyes and bull testicles and things too.

I'm not too sure why eating dogs freaks people out so much, I think I'd be worried about eating a cow brain, only because of BSE/CJD

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've got to say that I love Haggis, Black Pudding and some of the other UK recipes which I know outsiders would consider offal eating, I've even heard US citizens bawlk at the idea of steak and kidney pie, describing that as offal eating.

What is your reaction to this? Would you eat any of these recipes or do you know of any others? I've never tried sheeps eyes, bulls heart, pig's head or trotters but I'd not be totally opposed to the idea, I'm a bit of food adventurer besides asian Bant (spelling) I think I'd try anything.

I know that some vegetarians are bemused at the "I'll eat this but not this" or will remind people that mass produced pies and burgers are often made with reclaimed meat or beef connective tissue anyway but that's not exactly what I'm talking about.

I really love haggis, blood food, kidney pies and stuff like that.
We've got a few sorts of blood food in Sweden. It's all awesome.
"Blodpudding" is essentially our version of black pudding.
Also a thing called "Blodpalt" made with flour, eggs, salt and lots of blood, either from reindeer or cow.
They mold it into fist-sized balls and boil it. Tastes really awesome with some butter.

Down south, they eat a thing called "svartsoppa", which means black soup.
It's made out of lots of blood, broth, vinegar, clove, wine, cognac, ginger, syrup and pepper.
I'd like to think that it resembles the melas zomos (black soup) eaten by the spartans, made out of blood, broth and vinegar.
Too bad no real recipe of that particular soup survives to this day.

wolfy

awsm
I like steak and kidney pies, those are pretty good. I don't like black pudding as far as I can remember. I like any kind of yakitori...

* hatsu (ハツ) or kokoro (こころ), chicken heart
* rebā (レバー), liver
* sunagimo (砂肝), or zuri (ずり) chicken gizzard
* tsukune (つくね), chicken meatballs
* (tori)kawa ((とり)かわ) chicken skin, grilled until crispy
* tebasaki (手羽先), chicken wing
* bonjiri (ぼんじり), chicken tail
* shiro (シロ), chicken small intestines
* ikada (筏) (lit. raft), Japanese scallion, with two skewers to prevent rotation
* gyūtan (牛タン), ox tongue, sliced thinly
* nankotsu (なんこつ), chicken cartilage
* toriniku, all white meat on skewer

thanks wikipidea.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I like steak and kidney pies, those are pretty good. I don't like black pudding as far as I can remember. I like any kind of yakitori...

* hatsu (ハツ) or kokoro (こころ), chicken heart
* rebā (レバー), liver
* sunagimo (砂肝), or zuri (ずり) chicken gizzard
* tsukune (つくね), chicken meatballs
* (tori)kawa ((とり)かわ) chicken skin, grilled until crispy
* tebasaki (手羽先), chicken wing
* bonjiri (ぼんじり), chicken tail
* shiro (シロ), chicken small intestines
* ikada (筏) (lit. raft), Japanese scallion, with two skewers to prevent rotation
* gyūtan (牛タン), ox tongue, sliced thinly
* nankotsu (なんこつ), chicken cartilage
* toriniku, all white meat on skewer

thanks wikipidea.

:drool:

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Love this stuff:

Chicken Gizzards
Menudo w/ tripe & pigs feet
Cow Tongue Tacos
Liver & Onions

Black pudding and haggis sounds gross to me, but I'll definitely give it a shot if I have the chance.