• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cooking Flops

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
The stuff I get from restaurants usually stands up fairly well to reheating...
Makes me wonder what they do differently.

I've seen a lot of alfredo sauce recipes that call for cream cheese to be added, but that just sounds horrible... >_>

I really only think some recipes want you to use cream cheese for the consistency because it's so creamy when melted down... If you use that though it seems like you have to pile on a lot of parmesan or romano cheese to cover up the flavor.

MBTI Type
INTJ
The stuff I get from restaurants usually stands up fairly well to reheating...
Makes me wonder what they do differently.

I've seen a lot of alfredo sauce recipes that call for cream cheese to be added, but that just sounds horrible... >_>

If their sauce stands up to reheating, my suspicion is that the restaurant is using a pre-fab sauce. Shame, restaurant! I agree with you about cream cheese...that sounds vile.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
i found out why the directions on the can of tomato soup says use water or milk and nothing else. I used half and half and i like the taste but its thick and the texture is weird.

BRMC117

is an ambi-turner
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w2
I tried to make egg stuffed tomatoes

tomatefarcie2.jpg

Dont know what I did but the tomatoes spit open and the egg went everywhere... SAD FACE

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Frying fish: I figured I could just flip it over, like other meat. The fork ran through it like scissors through paper. So, I tried a second time, but didn't put enough oil in the pan, so it stuck, and when I tried to pull it off, it ripped to shreds again. Third time, I think I've got it.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
As much as I experiment in the kitchen, you can bet one out of every 5 or so new things fails miserably. I've blown things up in the oven, set things on fire, and just tonight we cooked this AWESOME riblet and shrimp grilled with vermicelli and ginger sauce salad... :laugh: Except I tried a new marinade that was clearly too spicy for my entire family. Nothing on the label indicated it was spicy, but now we're all dying and acting like we were pepper sprayed :rofl1:

So what'd you screw up on? ;) Don't be shy!

I start out making whipped cream and end up with butter more often than I care to remember. Not that it's bad, fresh churned butter is really great but I have to start all over again to make whipped cream. The reason is twofold 1) I have a professional strength Kitchen Aid and 2) I tend to walk away from it for too long.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
One day I got bored.
There was a massive piece of apple pie that was about 5 days old on our kitchen counter.
So, I decided to be a smart ass and microwave it for 45 minutes. :shock:
Neddless to say, it did not stay in the whole time.
By the 19 minute mark there was a thick cloud of white smoke eminanting from the seams of the microwave door.
I opened the door, and was knocked down by the cloud of nuclear particulate apple toxins. :9436:
Once the smoke cleared, I looked inside, and all that remained of the huge piece of apple pie was a black, crusty, gooey pile of toxic filth. :horor:
I had to open all the windows and doors in the house for over an hour just to get the smoke out.
I used both cans of Lysol in the house and it still didn't kill the odor entirely.
THAT - is the worst "cooking blunder" I have ever committed. :newwink:

:solidarity:

-Alex

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I've had a few just can't think of any recent ones. but i'm sure their are some.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i've managed to burn water by forgetting i had it on the stove more times than i can count.

i tried to make a baked potato for the first time the other day and it ended up way undercooked. i had it in there for an hour! who would wait over an hour for a potato? so not worth it.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
i've managed to burn water by forgetting i had it on the stove more times than i can count.

i tried to make a baked potato for the first time the other day and it ended up way undercooked. i had it in there for an hour! who would wait over an hour for a potato? so not worth it.

You could get some potato nails, they help bake them a little bit faster.

Usehername

On a mission
One day I got bored.
There was a massive piece of apple pie that was about 5 days old on our kitchen counter.
So, I decided to be a smart ass and microwave it for 45 minutes. :shock:
Neddless to say, it did not stay in the whole time.
By the 19 minute mark there was a thick cloud of white smoke eminanting from the seams of the microwave door.
I opened the door, and was knocked down by the cloud of nuclear particulate apple toxins. :9436:
Once the smoke cleared, I looked inside, and all that remained of the huge piece of apple pie was a black, crusty, gooey pile of toxic filth. :horor:
I had to open all the windows and doors in the house for over an hour just to get the smoke out.
I used both cans of Lysol in the house and it still didn't kill the odor entirely.
THAT - is the worst "cooking blunder" I have ever committed. :newwink:

:solidarity:

-Alex

You should try hackey sacks next time. They explode and are less work to clean up than burned carmelized pie.