• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

West coast road/camping trip suggestions?

Loliz

MBTI Type
Infp
Enneagram
6w7
I will be going on a 2.5 week west coast tour that definitely includes routes going from Oakland to Seattle and Oakland to Santa barbara/santa Monica. Does anyone have any ideas about places to stop and see
or eat or camp? I have done this trip a few times so I have hit up some
of the obvious spots, like the redwoods, olympic national forest, and sand dunes, but I would love some suggestions for random things or other great places! I am going with my rather large princess/dog so dog friendly spots would be great to hear about too.

Last edited:

stringstheory

THIS bitch
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Big Sur, certainly, and the Santa Cruz mountains are great sights; both are great for camping.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Have you been to Mendocino, CA or Fort Bragg, CA?

There are campgrounds with stunning ocean views all along the CA coast going up there along hwy 1. It's quite a windy road though, does your dog get car sick? I think you have to make reservations at them too because they are state parks .

will you only be camping?

Loliz

MBTI Type
Infp
Enneagram
6w7
Thanks, you all!

It won't only be camping, just need big dog friendly. I've always wanted to go to Big Sur, besides just passing through - I love the Elephant Seals <3. Those big fat bodies having it out! And Mendocino/Ft. Bragg sounds great! Glad for the recommendations. :) Any restaurant ideas or kitschy stop offs?

La de Longe

MBTI Type
infj
I live in Seattle, but was actually having trouble thinking of places that are "must sees." Guess it shows about how much I get out, hehe.

Have you visited any of the islands in Puget Sound? I've camped on Orcas Island and there's really great trails for day hikes. Pretty sure dogs are welcome too. Drive up past Seattle and then take the ferry, I think from Edmonds.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
I will be going on a 2.5 week west coast tour that definitely includes routes going from Oakland to Seattle and Oakland to Santa barbara/santa Monica. Does anyone have any ideas about places to stop and see
or eat or camp? I have done this trip a few times so I have hit up some
of the obvious spots, like the redwoods, olympic national forest, and sand dunes, but I would love some suggestions for random things or other great places! I am going with my rather large princess/dog so dog friendly spots would be great to hear about too.

When are you going? I'll be taking a camping trip out to palomar mountain here on the outskirts of northern San Diego most of next week. It's a beautiful heavily wooded area, with some nice campsites that aren't overly developed, and some that are. You can also do primitive camping, but no REAL fires, just campstove shit. It's part of Cleveland national forest.

Aside from that, i really want to camp/hike San Jacinto mountain out by palm Springs. 2nd highest peak in socal at over 10,000 feet. Theres even a large lift that goes halfway up the mountain. But of course, i wouldn't bother with it ;). Theres also:

I'd recommend the San Bernardino Nat'l Forest/San Gorgonio Wilderness from Camp Angelus (trail 1N07) to San Bernardino Peak to San Gorgonio Mtn. (elevation 11,502).

What areas have you been camping in?

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hi there, Im in Seattle too :), check out Rialto Beach-located in the Olympic Peninsula. You can camp on the beach if you hike in far enough...AMAZING!

Rialto%20Beach%20at%20Sunset%2C%20Olympic%20National%20Park%2C%20Washington.jpg

We usually go camping in Eastern, WA every summer as well, Lake Chelan is pretty popular. Holler at me if you want to know of good places for shopping & food too :).

natashka

MBTI Type
INFJ
Definitely drive down Highway 1 once you hit SF area.
Big Sur is a must stop!!! I highly recommend Pfeiffer Beach and Big Sur Bakery which is alongside Highway 1 near the beach. It's a total hippie place, I love it. You can camp out right on the beach in Big Sur if you really wanted, no one would bother you. Redwood forest north of SF is also a good place to go camping.

The Oregon coast is also breathtaking. Check out Astoria, Oregon

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Another Cali place I REAAAAAAAALLLLLLLY wanna go camping at is Yosemite. Pictures of that area look fucking fantastic.

Loliz

MBTI Type
Infp
Enneagram
6w7
Wow! Thanks for all the ideas, everyone!

Risen, I am headed N from Oakland around the 9th, and then headed S from Oakland around the 15th.? I have been camping in the Southern Los Padres (by Santa Barbara) and I did some serious backpacking on the Channel Islands. I have also been to Sequoia National Forest a couple times. I tend to always be trying to find swimming spots or Hot Springs! The hot springs are always really interesting experiences for sure. I have also gone to quite a few places North, up through the NW. I have always wanted to go to Yosemite, too, but it isn't super dog friendly and the idea of the crowds intimidate me.

Love the ideas of Lake Chelan (and excuse to go to Idaho) and small hippie bakeries.

Y'all got the extras of my trip covered! Awesome!

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Stop and see Haystack rock on the coast in Northern Oregon!

and check out where the Goonies was filmed.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Another Cali place I REAAAAAAAALLLLLLLY wanna go camping at is Yosemite. Pictures of that area look fucking fantastic.

Ohmygod yes!

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I was just at Red Rock in Santa Barbara/Santa Ynez. Primitive camping with no showers but a lot of great swimming spots. Be careful jumping off some of the rocks as some areas are more shallow than they look. I stayed at the Paradise camping grounds; fun and casual and close to swimming spots and the Paradise store that has a lot of all ages entertainment/live music/karaoke/barbecue. Paradise Campground - Santa Barbara, CA

Also if you want to spend a bit more and stay in the same area in more comfortable accommodations and ride horses Rancho Oso