• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Types of cheeses

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Stilton perhaps? :)

This may seem random, but to me its so fascinating. Market Researcher Clotaire Rapaille investigated the difference in attitudes towards cheese by French people and Americans. The French do not put cheese in the refrigerator while most Americans do store cheese there. He concluded that at base people in France consider the cheese alive, Americans consider it dead. As in, belongs in a morgue. With this information companies developed a "body bag", the ubiquitous plastic pouch so many people buy their cheese in today.

Uhm. That's weird. If you don't use the refrigerator, you have to buy only a small amount of cheese, otherwise it may become slightly rotten in 1-2 days. Seasoned cheeses might be an exception, yet they still need a temperature around 10°C, which is rather unusual indoors.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Mexican cheese is the bomb.com, anyone try Rachero Queso Fresco?

createthumbimage.aspx

YES. Nomnomnomnom. :wubbie:

Stilton perhaps? :)

This may seem random, but to me its so fascinating. Market Researcher Clotaire Rapaille investigated the difference in attitudes towards cheese by French people and Americans. The French do not put cheese in the refrigerator while most Americans do store cheese there. He concluded that at base people in France consider the cheese alive, Americans consider it dead. As in, belongs in a morgue. With this information companies developed a "body bag", the ubiquitous plastic pouch so many people buy their cheese in today.

That's interesting. I wonder how many other little differences Americans and Europeans have in food storage and preparation.

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Uhm. That's weird. If you don't use the refrigerator, you have to buy only a small amount of cheese, otherwise it may become slightly rotten in 1-2 days. Seasoned cheeses might be an exception, yet they still need a temperature around 10°C, which is rather unusual indoors.
Right. The US is more squeamish about dairy generally. Raw milk cheeses are required by law to be aged over 60 days before being sold.
YES. Nomnomnomnom. :wubbie:

That's interesting. I wonder how many other little differences Americans and Europeans have in food storage and preparation.
Just off the top of my head from personal experience: some Europeans believe that very cold drinks are unhealthy and invite sickness.

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I only recently, about two or three years ago, found out about eating black current jam with cheeses, or at least with chedders or red leiscester (which is one of my favourites) and its wonderful.

Marmalade and sharp cheddar is nice but by far the most decadent I have tasted as an entree was crumbed and deep fried Brie with a tart Blackcurrant (or you could try Cranberry) sauce. That was to die for!!!

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Marmalade and sharp cheddar is nice but by far the most decadent I have tasted as an entree was crumbed and deep fried Brie with a tart Blackcurrant (or you could try Cranberry) sauce. That was to die for!!!

My mother bakes brie into phylo dough and serves it with fresh fruit. Now THAT is the best, IMO.

Also, it's traditional to eat a slice of cheddar cheese on apple pie rather than ice cream.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

British people leave the butter at room temp. It's really best that way.

French cheeses taste better at room temp.

I'm thinking that it also has a lot to do with the fact that traditionally French people buy small amounts of fresh food, and Americans buy large quantities of food at supermarkets.

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
My mother bakes brie into phylo dough and serves it with fresh fruit. Now THAT is the best, IMO.

Also, it's traditional to eat a slice of cheddar cheese on apple pie rather than ice cream.

My mouth is watering on both counts but I can't find the drooling smilie! :blush:!!

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Feta is great, especially if you make sure that it comes from south-easter Europe (here they sell some German-made feta which tastes like plastic bags).

British people leave the butter at room temp. It's really best that way.

Well, you need to use a lot of butter on a daily basis if you want to keep it at room temperature (or eventually you need an extremely cold room), otherwise it might become rancid in approx. 3 days - here they don't sell anything less than 100g a piece.

Chloe

Feta is great, especially if you make sure that it comes from south-easter Europe (here they sell some German-made feta which tastes like plastic bags).

hm, isnt Feta cheese originally from Italy?

I hate it when they sell imitation of feta cheese based on bio oil.

The one we have here (croatia ) is really good, though.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
hm, isnt Feta cheese originally from Italy?

I hate it when they sell imitation of feta cheese based on bio oil.

The one we have here (croatia ) is really good, though.

Nope, it's from Greece : ) I guess the croatian version should be better than the italian one, since your culinary traditions are more balkan-ish :yes:

My favorite smoked cheese: Scamorza

Scamorza.jpg

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Cheese is awesome! I like almost every kind except blue cheese - both the taste/smell and sight are offputting to me. Smoked cheeses are kinda iffy to me too, the smokiness detracts from the cheese flavour for me. Recently I've been eating a few blocks of fortina cheese which I really like and as a bonus, it's a lot cheaper than the other cheeses for some reason. I think it's maybe similar to gouda in taste? not sure, I haven't had gouda in a while. it's fairly hard and comes in wax.

also particularly delicious are goat cheese and (less so) feta, brie, gouda, havarti, swiss, and this awesome sheep-cheese that I had once and could never remember the name. I've also discovered that while I find regular "old" chedder boring, extra old (2+ years aged) from balderson is awesome! Such a cool flavour. But almost every cheese is delicious :drool:

Last edited:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I <3 cheese. I've tried a lot of different kinds, but not as many as I'd like. Honestly, the only types I really hate are velveeta, fake cheddar, and fake swiss. One of my biggest pet peeves is when I order a mushroom and swiss burger and they give me American Swiss. :sick:

Couldn't possibly pick a favorite, but I love blue-ish, creamy cheeses (and cheeses that smell kinda bad but not terrible). Also, I am really craving...

gratin-roquefort.jpg

... Roquefort gratin :drool:

Lark

Tommorrow I'm going to buy some cheese, I've got a mind to buy about four or five different types, anyone want to suggest me some varieties I absolutely should try and I'll post about them here in this thread or a blog if I start one. Also anyone suggest any accompaniments or drinks to go with them? I know someone who slices apples with cheese and someone else who slices a pear with them.

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
The stinkier the better! I love soft, fatty cheeses.
I had dolphin yoghurt once in Italy. Maybe dolphin cheese could be an idea??

Lark

I can seriously recommend this sort of cheese, I got some yesterday and opened it today, its much better on its own without crackers, toast or any sort of accompaniment, equally you'd not add any sort of fruit (some people eat apple, pear, cranberries or branston pickle with their cheese), just straight, there's even some cool info inside the box it comes in describing the maturation process of the cheese, so while you buy it straight in the middle between mild and strong you could let it become strong if you like!

Awesome!

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Dutch (young) cheese, yummy.

Smelly cheese, not so much. A lil bit on a toast sure, I'd bite. But I'm not too fond of most foreign cheeses.