• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Backpacking/camping foods

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Ok, so I'm going to be taking my first backpacking excursion within a couple of weeks, for 3~4 days in and out. I've been doing a lot of research on what to take, since I will not have a car this time to haul around food, in a cooler. My base metabolism makes me burn about 1800~1900 just being alive, and I'll probably be burning around 4000 calories per day average (probably around 5000 on the days i hike up and down the mountain). Considering that, i intend to take enough for around 3000 calories per day for 4 days. So here is the list of items I plan to take. If anyone is interested, i can add in the amounts, cost, and calorie counts for all of them.

Italian dry salami- I was able to find a 1.5 pound role of this stuff for only $4! It's the "Gallo" brand. The dry sausages and salamis usually cost $7~$10 per pound minimum, so I will be eating lots of this on the trail.

Cheese- I'm going to be taking some form of hard cheese, likely gouda in some wax and cheesecloth. I'm able to find gouda at $5 per pound, though i havent tried it before. I like cheddar, blue, jack and provolone but really dont like swiss cheeses. Would I like the flavor of gouda?

tortillas- A calorie dense flat bread, perfect for some melted cheese and salami.

nuts- All kinda of nuts, though I'm trying to keep a balance between roasted and raw. Roasted may keep better (really doesnt matter over 4 days), but I don't know if i digest it as easily as raw nuts.

dried fruit- Mostly just the huge red/pink flame raisins from bulk bins. taste much better than typical raisins, not to mention rather cheap at $2/lb (nuts are also cheap from the bulk bins) and packed with much needed carbs.

coconuts- Calorie dense as a mofo (one coconut, 1400 calories) with mostly fat, but coconut fat is a peculiar medium chain fatty acid that provides quick energy, similar to carbs, but with more calories per gram.

canned mackerel- A wonderful canned food, imo. Tons of protein in a small package, delicious, and lots of calcium to boot.

bagels- calorie dense and delicious bread, high in carbs and protein.

And maybe some miscellaneous sugary snacks.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
yes, nutrient densed foods -- coconuts. <3 them.

i prepare a lot of raw energy food.
food processed figs, dates, dried fruits and soaked raw nuts,
and make balls out of them. they keep well, and great for digesting.

raw banana bread (bananas, flax seed, nuts -- then dehydrated).

WoodsWoman

MBTI Type
INFP
Look up 'wild food' on Amazon and find a guide to the edible plants in the area you're going camping in. Knowledge of as few as two or three plants can make a very nice diet variation.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Good ideas suggested so far, and I'm going to have to start taking coconut on my trips, so thanks for the idea.

I avoid canned food because the weight of the can is actually significant, although one can probably doesn't matter too much. Salmon, tuna, and chicken are available in small foil pouches with less liquid (liquid=heavy, unnecessary). Salmon especially is an extremely healthy food. Hang your food well, as bears like it too. :ninja:

Starkist sweet and spicy tuna in a pita tastes like a sloppy joe.

I like to take things like rice, instant mashed potatoes, crackers, pretzels, energy bars, candy bars, and peanut butter. PB is fairly calorie-dense.

I'm planning to switch to doing mostly freezer bag cooking to avoid the need to clean the cooking pot. Just boiling water and then letting things cook in a freezer bag inside an insulated "cozy" (made of sleeping pad foam or Reflectix) saves time and work.

Most people end up taking around 1.5-2 lbs of food per day.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I would bring a couple of those "sugary snacks" just so you get a change of pace at night when you stop. It gets boring eating the same stuff, everyday. You might also want to think about throwing in a couple of those little individual packets of kool-aid or crystal light or something. Water is awesome but it's nice having something different once you stop. I never go without beef jerky to snack on since it is beef, composed of small pieces, and you can just suck on it while you're moving, but that's personal preference.

Just make sure you bring enough (can't emphasize that enough) and waterproof it. Why do you plan on operating on a 1000-2000 calorie deficit?

Also, make sure you have something to reseal your canned food in after you open it.

I don't know if you've ever used MRE's but you may want to look into getting a couple of them and just taking out the main meal and heating pouch. A hot meal after a day of hiking is awesome!

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Just make sure you bring enough (can't emphasize that enough) and waterproof it. Why do you plan on operating on a 1000-2000 calorie deficit?

To make it overall easier in terms of the amount of food I must carry, and might as well shed a pound while i'm at it.

Also, make sure you have something to reseal your canned food in after you open it.

I'll most likely be eating the whole thing within 5 minutes anyway. The can should be useful for heating stuff in over the fire. I don't plan to do a lot of cooking, and so wont be bringing any pans and stuff (it's possible to improvise cooking implements anyway should I need to). But I do want to bring like a thin, flat, sturdy aluminum hot plate/long spathula or something like that.

Phoenix_400

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w6
Sounds like you've gotten some great advice and done your homework. I remember reading a lot of these tips when I started trying to get set-up for backpacking.

Make your own trail mix: I mix unsalted peanuts, crushed walnuts, pecan halves, raisins, m&m's and coconut flakes.

I'm banged up enough and just flat out don't have a lot of time right now, so I usually only do day hikes now. My day-pack has enough gear for if I have to camp in an emergency though. I keep a small molle medic pouch on the outside of my pack (that I can unsnap and clip to my belt) with the following:
1 x Sandwich bag of trail mix
1 x Sandwich bag of beef jerky,
2 x Pack of peanut butter crackers (the 6 per pack ones)
2 x Peanut butter chocolate chip power bars.
Plus my camelbak has a 100oz water reservoir in it.

Its not the best mix of food (certainly wouldn't work for an extended trip), but it works for my purposes and its all stuff that I can eat on the move.

foolish heart

MBTI Type
ISTP
I'd advise against coconuts (unless already shaved) and canned food. Preparing them is too burdensome and when it comes to food generally you want as little of the weight and space it takes up to be inedible. Doubled up plastic bags of trail mix, dried meat, etc. provides a much better weight/calorie ratio and the bags take up no space when they're empty. Cans, on the other hand... you get my point. If you're going a decent distance, most of what you'll eat will be on hiking breaks so it's best to focus on foods that don't require prep and only portion the foods requiring prep for dinner after camp is set up and possibly breakfast.

Also, remember that at higher altitudes the body's digestion is much slower. The higher you climb, the more you'll want to avoid long digesting foods high in fat or protein (saturate your system with this before you get into high altitudes) and stick to carbs. (I like to take a few snickers bars on summit day).

If you aren't taking a stove and pot, what is your plan for water? Do you know you can make camp near a fresh stream every night, or plan to use chemicals?

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
I'd advise against coconuts (unless already shaved) and canned food. Preparing them is too burdensome and when it comes to food generally you want as little of the weight and space it takes up to be inedible. Doubled up plastic bags of trail mix, dried meat, etc. provides a much better weight/calorie ratio and the bags take up no space when they're empty. Cans, on the other hand... you get my point. If you're going a decent distance, most of what you'll eat will be on hiking breaks so it's best to focus on foods that don't require prep and only portion the foods requiring prep for dinner after camp is set up and possibly breakfast.

They're not that difficult, I eat them all the time. The better the knife you have, the easier they are to eat. Plus they can carry a nice amount of coconut water, which is great for rehydrating yourself on/after long hikes. Most of the food I mentioned is easy to snack on while on the trail, the rest of it requires as much preparation is opening a can or bag, and that's about it. You're not exactly pressed for time when you have camp set up and you're just out in the woods all day :p .

Also, remember that at higher altitudes the body's digestion is much slower. The higher you climb, the more you'll want to avoid long digesting foods high in fat or protein (saturate your system with this before you get into high altitudes) and stick to carbs. (I like to take a few snickers bars on summit day).

That's interesting, makes sense considering the lack of oxygen higher up. I was worried about that anyway considering how my system usually handles fatty foods and some proteins. At 5000 feet it shouldn't be too bad though. I've been up there before, and it's juuust high enough to make the air feel thinner, but not too bad.

If you aren't taking a stove and pot, what is your plan for water? Do you know you can make camp near a fresh stream every night, or plan to use chemicals?

If I had to I'd just use a campfire, ya know, the kind you make on the earth that burns wood :p . Don't know what it is with people and camping stoves. Carrying them is more inconvenient than knowing how to make a safe fire, and just setting it up when you get to camp. It seems almost foolish for people to be camping/backpacking and not even know how to make a fire without a stove (not saying you don't, but in general). And if i needed to, I could boil water in the couple of cans I'll be bringing, as I mentioned above. Shouldn't be an issue though because it'll be in a more or less developed campsite with spring water for drinking. Otherwise I'd bring a water filter.

Windigo

I've heard fruit cake is the ultimate backpack food, but I don't know anyone who actually likes it.
I like to bring Lipton Soup packets to sprinkle on fresh fish caught in streams. I also do the salmon and tuna thing JAVO mentioned on crackers or pita if you want to be healthy.

I don't know why but I almost always start craving oranges by day 3, so I often take a few oranges or tangerines because they don't bruise easily.

Canned food is a definite no-no . . . my mom packed 75 lbs of canned food for my first backpack trip (I was 18) . . . it was miserable! :cry:

foolish heart

MBTI Type
ISTP
If I had to I'd just use a campfire, ya know, the kind you make on the earth that burns wood :p . Don't know what it is with people and camping stoves. Carrying them is more inconvenient than knowing how to make a safe fire, and just setting it up when you get to camp. It seems almost foolish for people to be camping/backpacking and not even know how to make a fire without a stove (not saying you don't, but in general). And if i needed to, I could boil water in the couple of cans I'll be bringing, as I mentioned above. Shouldn't be an issue though because it'll be in a more or less developed campsite with spring water for drinking. Otherwise I'd bring a water filter.

That's cool, as long as you have something planned that's fine. I just wouldn't want anyone getting caught unprepared if I can help giving them a heads up, especially when with something so important as water. The reason many climbers prefer stoves vs campfires is because there is no wood available above the tree line and many climbers like to practice "leave no trace behind" where the only thing thats noticably effected is snow, no trees or brush is used and anything packed in is also packed out (including human waste)

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
If I had to I'd just use a campfire, ya know, the kind you make on the earth that burns wood :p . Don't know what it is with people and camping stoves. Carrying them is more inconvenient than knowing how to make a safe fire, and just setting it up when you get to camp.
In many frequently used campsites, suitable wood is sometimes difficult to find unless you start to collect it and carry it the last 1/4-1/2 mile before camp. Often, you don't know that you're only 1/4 mile from camp though. I really like campfires, but I also find myself hiking until after dark or sleeping in (being the night owl I am). As long as a little extra weight isn't an issue (on a difficult or long trail), it's nice to have a light stove to heat up some boiling water for oatmeal, hot chocolate, instant soup, or rice. I bring it along sometimes. Stove + stand + windscreen weighs around 2-3 oz. and fits inside the smallest pots. I made a Penny stove from Heineken beer cans. It burns denatured alcohol, and around 2/3 oz will boil 2 cups of water (6-8 minute cook time). I also made a double-wall "woodgas" (BushBuddy clone) from tin cans and a few other items which weighs around 6 oz.

From my backpacking trip last fall:
20091107_401.jpg

I don't know why but I almost always start craving oranges by day 3, so I often take a few oranges or tangerines because they don't bruise easily.
It might be vitamin C deficiency. Chewing on some pine or other similar coniferous tree needles might help. Or, steep them in hot water to make a tea if you don't like that "I just ate the family Christmas tree" :shock: taste.

Edit: Advantage of wood stove over a fire:
1. Easier containment, less scarring of ground, often can be used where no fires are allowed
2. More efficient use of the wood and heat
3. Burns twigs to thumb-sized wood, which is much easier to find and get burning
4. Easy and stable pot support

Last edited:

Windigo

It might be vitamin C deficiency. Chewing on some pine or other similar coniferous tree needles might help. Or, steep them in hot water to make a tea if you don't like that "I just ate the family Christmas tree" :shock: taste.

Yeah, my kids got pretty mad the last time I ate the Christmas tree! Actually I learned about the pine needles AFTER I had stopped backpacking.

I WILL DO IT AGAIN!!!!

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Canned food is a definite no-no . . . my mom packed 75 lbs of canned food for my first backpack trip (I was 18) . . . it was miserable! :cry:

:doh: Ouch.

I'm trying to think of what I brought with me when I went last summer for three days. The main thing I can remember is that I brough hard-boiled eggs, which last signficantly longer sans refrigeration than you'd think. 2 or 3 days, I can't remember.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
I've heard fruit cake is the ultimate backpack food, but I don't know anyone who actually likes it.
I like to bring Lipton Soup packets to sprinkle on fresh fish caught in streams. I also do the salmon and tuna thing JAVO mentioned on crackers or pita if you want to be healthy.

Canned food can't be your main food source, obviously, due to waste of weight and space, but a couple of cans doesn't matter so much.

How the heck did she pack 75 pounds of canned food into your backpack?

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
In many frequently used campsites, suitable wood is sometimes difficult to find unless you start to collect it and carry it the last 1/4-1/2 mile before camp. Often, you don't know that you're only 1/4 mile from camp though. I really like campfires, but I also find myself hiking until after dark or sleeping in (being the night owl I am). As long as a little extra weight isn't an issue (on a difficult or long trail), it's nice to have a light stove to heat up some boiling water for oatmeal, hot chocolate, instant soup, or rice. I bring it along sometimes. Stove + stand + windscreen weighs around 2-3 oz. and fits inside the smallest pots. I made a Penny stove from Heineken beer cans. It burns denatured alcohol, and around 2/3 oz will boil 2 cups of water (6-8 minute cook time). I also made a double-wall "woodgas" (BushBuddy clone) from tin cans and a few other items which weighs around 6 oz.

From my backpacking trip last fall:
20091107_401.jpg

Edit: Advantage of wood stove over a fire:
1. Easier containment, less scarring of ground, often can be used where no fires are allowed
2. More efficient use of the wood and heat
3. Burns twigs to thumb-sized wood, which is much easier to find and get burning
4. Easy and stable pot support

Yes, I can see the rationale behind carrying a fuel stove when going to places where you know there wont be a lot of wood. But in places where there is plenty of the stuff, there's no reason not to burn it. Seriously, nothing tastes better than some fresh meat cooked over a natural fire made with natural wood. It's barbecue HEAVEN. Plus a stove just isn't going to give you a large, light giving fire when you need it. It has some merits in convenience, but it's not necessary, imo. And I'm really not buying into the whole "scorched earth = forever ruined" mantra considering how CA's environment operates, thriving best when the forests and chaparral are renewed by wildfires. Fire existed LOOOONG before man did (I know we all know this). The only thing the cavemen succeeded in doing was making fire "convenient".

Even so, maybe I'll play along and bring a large coffee can with some holes in the bottom... to burn wood.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Yes, I can see the rationale behind carrying a fuel stove when going to places where you know there wont be a lot of wood. But in places where there is plenty of the stuff, there's no reason not to burn it. Seriously, nothing tastes better than some fresh meat cooked over a natural fire made with natural wood. It's barbecue HEAVEN. Plus a stove just isn't going to give you a large, light giving fire when you need it. It has some merits in convenience, but it's not necessary, imo. And I'm really not buying into the whole "scorched earth = forever ruined" mantra considering how CA's environment operates, thriving best when the forests and chaparral are renewed by wildfires. Fire existed LOOOONG before man did (I know we all know this). The only thing the cavemen succeeded in doing was making fire "convenient".

I agree completely. Well-said.