• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Herbs, Spices and Condiments

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
What are your favourite herbs, spices and condiments? What do you like about them?

How do you use them in your own cooking, or like them to be used in food that you eat?

Any tips you'd like to share on how to use them to enhance food?

Or would you like to ask for tips on how to use them more effectively?

Or are you a gastronomic heretic conservative eater, who likes your food to be bland/douses everything in the same old flavour of ketchup so it all tastes the same? I would like to find out more about you strange beings, and what makes you tick!

For any or all of these, and any more on the delightful subject of seasonings I've forgotten to mention, please post here!

Last edited:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
sriracha hot sauce is fabulously awesome :wubbie:

I love salsa verde and dijon mustard as far as condiments go as well... and barbecue sauce... I adore barbecue sauce :drool:

as far as herbs and spices go, the ones in the front of my spice cabinet (meaning favorites for use) are cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, basil, oregano, ginger, cloves and cumin... I also love fines herbs for any potato dish, especially mashed potatoes :yes:

pepper flakes and basil are my favorite spices (along with garlic) for fried or diced and then baked potatoes

I cook way too many stir frys and such so the ginger gets used for that

oregano goes into marinara sauce, which is pretty much all purpose

cloves in hot chocolate and beef stew and randomly in other dishes because I adore them

cumin for chili, tacos, spice rubs for foods and homemade salsa! :holy:

I also love dill for homemade vinegarettes and for several different fish dishes!

gromit

likes this
I like red pepper flakes, basil, ginger, and cumin too. I also like using fresh dill and coriander/cilantro and lemon and lime juice.

I want to start using fresh mint more. :D

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
as far as herbs and spices go, the ones in the front of my spice cabinet (meaning favorites for use) are cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, basil, oregano, ginger, cloves and cumin... I also love fines herbs for any potato dish, especially mashed potatoes :yes:
These are good choices :yes: I think I'd tend to use ground (hopefully freshly) black pepper more myself, but maybe that's because I have it to hand more often.

pepper flakes and basil are my favorite spices (along with garlic) for fried or diced and then baked potatoes
Oh, I'd use the pepper and garlic, but haven't tried the basil for that *makes note to do so next time*. Basil is excellent though. They should find a way to genetically combine basil and tomato so you wouldn't find yourself out of the fresh stuff just when you were cooking something tomato-based ;) Oregano and thyme seem ok dried, but basil is SO much better fresh. I suppose there is pesto, but the fresh leaves are often more suitable.

I cook way too many stir frys and such so the ginger gets used for that
Ginger is EXCELLENT in stir fries :) also one good way of making sure that fresh ginger root gets used up within a reasonable period!

cloves in hot chocolate and beef stew and randomly in other dishes because I adore them
:yes: They go PARTICULARLY well with red meat, especially if it's slow cooked, so I'd very much agree with this use. Beef above all perhaps, though I've had very good results with cloves and venison too (when I actually had any venison to cook, I don't imagine coming across/being able to afford any more for quite some time though). I've got the use of a monstrous granite mortar and pestle at the moment that weighs about as much as a large sledgehammer, cloves, or just about anything else, crumble to powder beneath its awesome bashing power, so I don't have to worry about picking bits out or using ready ground stuff (which is rarely as good as fresh).

Cloves are definitely one of my favourite herbs, one of the most underrated ones too really. I was actually chewing on a clove when I got the idea of starting this thread! Chewing on cloves and cinnamon is an odd habit I have sometimes - don't know if anyone else does this. The potent flavour they have, with all the essential oils, numbs your mouth and is almost drug-like in its intensity, particularly if they're fresh and good quality, still full of oil. Cloves are also an extremely good remedy for toothache as the oil actually acts as a local anaesthetic. You can get pure clove oil as a toothache remedy but it's difficult to apply to the right spot without overdoing it, chewing one is probably easier (might be how I developed the habit a few years ago actually).

Does anyone else ever do this? Or is it just strange me? :huh:

I also love dill for homemade vinegarettes and for several different fish dishes
Dill and fish is also excellent. Tarragon is good too, or the two in combination ;)

I like red pepper flakes, basil, ginger, and cumin too. I also like using fresh dill and coriander/cilantro and lemon and lime juice.

I want to start using fresh mint more. :D

I always get confused with the US use of "cilantro" for coriander leaf, I keep looking it up in the hope it might be some strange and interesting new herb. Apparently I never learn! :laugh:

Fresh mint with boiled new potatoes is good, I think. :yes: Also with yogurt or yogurt and cucumber. You might be able to get away with adding some cilantro/coriander leaf too. Or, why not combine the lot, and have it with the potatoes? :drool:

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
asdfasdfasms1.jpg

Its delish on potatos, fish, chicken, quesadillas, and pretty much almost anything dinner related ;).

stringstheory

THIS bitch
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Ground ginger is my secret ingredient in almost everything. My chicken soup is famous in my circle of friends and no one can figure out why :D

it's sweet, yet spicy...and very fresh tasting. I dunno, i just love it!

MBTI Type
INTJ
I like the following the most:

olive oil
garlic (especially roasted)
kosher salt (Diamond Crystal brand...no other will do)
smoked sea salt
ancho chile powder
red wine vinegar (secret ingredient in my egg salad)
garlic aioli
Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning (for pretty much everything)
BBQ sauce
orange/lemon zest
Cholula hot sauce
ginger (especially in desserts, super especially with citrus)
rosemary (mostly for potatoes)
lemongrass
cinnamon (kind of a trademark of mine in desserts)

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Ginger, Garlic, Thai Basil, Cinnamon, Vanilla, Cumin, Chilli, Mint, Dill, Cardamom, Lime & Kaffir Lime leaves, Lemongrass, Nutmeg, Saffron, Star Anise, Sesame Seed & Oil, Olive Oil, Rose Water and Almond Essence are my favourites.

Needless to say I love Thai food, Curries from Southern Asia, in fact MOST ethnic foods, fresh Seafood, Salads and Vegetables.

Passion fruit and crisp, juicy, Pink Lady Apples, Raspberries and Strawberries, and sweet, coconut flavoured little Roughy Pineapples from Queensland!!

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I also love all the basic Korean marinade ingredients: Soy Sauce, Garlic, Green Onion, Sugar, & Sesame Oil. Korean BBQ is so yummy :)

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
thai seafood sauce: lime, fish sauce, chili and garlic = bliss in mouth

basil, kaffir lime leaves, galangal, fresh ginger, rosemary and thyme.

strawberries

shadow boxer
MBTI Type
----
i love herbs, spices, condiments - they're like accessories for food. i have a whole cupboard devoted to them.

some of my most appreciated:

hoisin sauce (as a dipping sauce or to marinate)
cardamom (curries, sweet dishes)
fresh mint (cocktails, salads)
fresh coriander (thai/indian)
freshly grated nutmeg (add to banana smoothies, coffee, sweets, cannelloni)
star anise (curries, chinese poached chicken etc)
smoked paprika (lovely in slow cooked stews etc)
american mustard (the bright yellow, mild stuff - i love this)
garam masala (building block for indian curries)
apple cider vinegar (dress salads)

my chef friend taught me the best way to store fresh herbs once they're cut is in the fridge wrapped in a slightly damp paper towel - keeps them fresh longer.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I can't even begin to list them. Fresh herbs like basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary. Different sorts of mint like spearmint, lemon mint and peppermint, all of which I grow year around. Spices like cardamon and cumin, fresh garlic, grainy mustard, ginger root, chili powder, hot cinnamon. The spice mixes from Penzey's Spice like Sandwich Sprinkle, Fox Point seasonings and Mural of Favor. Anyone not familiar with Penzey's, check out their website and if you have a store nearby, go. There's supermarket spices and then there's Penzeys. I love condiments and try out as many as possible. There's no need to eat anything bland when there are so many good tastes available.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
garlic!! ginger, and onions are all heavily used for flavouring (not at once)

Basil, oregano and thyme is one good combination. I rarely use them alone.
rosemary is awesome on potatoes and sweet potatoes
cumin I use a lot of
cinnamon adds a neat flavour to red meat stew-type dishes (chili, spag sauce, etc)
dill for fish or some vegetable dishes (mmm asparagus)
I use a mix, montreal chicken spice, almost every time I bbq chicken, cause it's totally awesomely delicious.
soy sauce for stirfries and seasoning meat

I use kosher salt always instead of table salt, I don't know if it actually tastes different - i think so- but I much prefer the texture.

I tend to use dried spices for convenience and because the fresh ones are a fortune - like 2-3$ for a sprig! Someday I'll get around to planting an herb garden. I've tried basil numerous years but always kill it :(

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
I tend to use dried spices for convenience and because the fresh ones are a fortune - like 2-3$ for a sprig! Someday I'll get around to planting an herb garden. I've tried basil numerous years but always kill it :(

Every time I buy fresh growing basil it dies within a couple of weeks. I suspect they do something to force grow it or keep it in unsuitable conditions before delivery to the supermarket, probably to stop you keeping one pot to last all year; other herbs tend to die off too, even when kept in optimum conditions, but basil is the quickest to go - and the most annoying, given how useful it is to have some around. I keep meaning to try growing some from seed, which apparently is quite easy - other people seem to get good results that way in any case!

Anyway, Rosemary + Thyme + Lemon (or something lemon flavoured, like lemongrass) + Chicken == gastronomic heaven! :drool:

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Chipotle chile powder,
ancho chile powder
habanero sauce

Sofrito. Recaito. Achiote oil. Golden garlic oil.
A must for paella!

Cumin
Coriander
Tumeric

Tellicherry peppercorns
Pink peppercorns
Sumac berries
Za'atar
Ground jalepeno
Sage
smoked paprika
saffron (rarely)
garam masala blends (Penzey's is good)

Fresh ginger in stir-fry, teas...I make my own ginger syrup and candied ginger.

Celery seed. A must for potato soup.
Bay leaves
miso paste
oyster sauce (Lee Kum Kee is the best but not GF! :cry:)
Mirin

Oh, let me stop here...I'll be here all night going through the cabinets naming stuff one by one.

I love to cook.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I use a lot of of things that have already been mentioned in this thread but one of my current obsessions is Meyer Lemon Olive Oil. The one I use is made locally and normally I can not stand artificial lemon flavorings, because they don't taste fresh or they taste too much like the zest of a lemon only, but this one has a subtle yet distinctly fresh meyer lemon flavor but without the tartness of real lemon juice. I don't know how they manage it. it makes things taste omg sooo good.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
My favorites are nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, ginger (fresh), mint (fresh), cilantro and cumin.

About a year ago I bought a mortar and pestle to grind fresh spices with, and OMG it makes all the difference. I also have a nutmeg grater which I love - SO much better than pre-ground nutmeg!

I've also become interested in more "unusual" (for the American palate!) herbs and spices. One of these days I need to get my arse to an Asian or African grocery store and pick up some things to try: galangal, ajowan, cubeb, mace, tamarind, kaffir lime... I also really want to try making some loomi... I need to do it before summer ends, though!! This thread has inspired me-- maybe I'll pick up some limes after work today...