• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Types of *practical* blades, kukris, machetes, axes, etc.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
For those of you who actually use these tools, which do you find to be most useful and in what situations? For example, if you're out on a camping trip, would you prefer to bring an axe or a machete? What style of axe/machete? What do you think are the best quality blades, and who provides the best quality?

I'm all ready to buy a kukri for hiking/backpacking/camping trips. I'm choosing a kukri because it seems to have a wide range of uses due to its unique design. I'm a huge fan of multipurpose tools that can do everything possible, and a kukri is one of those rare multitasking types of blades. Specialized weapons/tools are unbeatable for their intended purposes, but since my purposes vary quite a bit a kukri would be a perfect choice. I'd need it for light wood chopping, cutting, and protection, and a potential ability to rip through bone and muscle (be it a carcass or a muscle tank predator). Has anyone used a kukri before who can comment on its usefulness, and where you should buy a quality one?

O

Oberon

I have not used a kukri before, but I have used a kukri-pattern machete, and I can tell you that the blade geometry makes it cut like something much bigger. Cold Steel makes both the kukri-style machete and a pretty high-quality build of the real deal. The thick back, heft, and weight-forward balance of the genuine kukri ought to make it all that much more effective.

39LGKT.jpg

If, on the other hand, you want something two-handed, I recommend the Estwing steel-shank Camper's Axe:

81024_l.jpg

O

Oberon

NOTE: Both of these would be very useful around camp, albeit in somewhat different capacities.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Me and BMS normally bring an axe and a machete. The thing is, I don't think we've ever gone out and not used the axe. We've never used the machete, though, so I'm going to replace it with a shovel.

In my experience, rarely are you going to encounter something that requires a machete that you couldn't just as easily remove with your hands, or an axe.

I've heard a lot about the usefulness of kukris but I've never actually used one.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I usually have just carried a well sharpened hatchet I've had since I was 8 and a hunting knife I found in the woods as a kid and sharpened up well... between the two of those most bases are well covered :)

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
As a gardener Falcarius recommends the following;

Carpenters Hatchet. It can cut most things up to a few inches and it can be used as a hammer.

carpentershatchet.jpg

Pulaski. It is pretty much an axe and a mattock hence can be used to dig and cut.

pulaski.jpg

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
TBH, coldsteel's stuff looks about as high quality as a walmart machete, and the extensive research ive done on the topic seems to say the same. Plus, their REAL kukri style blades are ridiculously overpriced. I'm considering going for a budget Windlass Cutlery made genuine kukri for about $60 sharpened and shipped, or I might go with an identical/similar one off amazon for $30 shipped and have it sharpened locally for less than $10. The quality of those should be good enough for my my infrequent usage, and if I'm going to pay over $50 for a kukri, I'd rather get one of the best quality jobs I can get, which would be from Himalayan Imports, Tora Blades, or Khukuri House I suppose, all of which are pretty much over $100 with shipping.

400484.jpg

O

Oberon

I am inclined to go with the Estwing, myself. I always seem to need something to drive tent pegs with.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
I am inclined to go with the Estwing, myself. I always seem to need something to drive tent pegs with.

You can supposedly do some good hammering with a full kukri (the spine being over 1/4" thick). An axe would be better, but for backpacking and having to carry around all the equipment by foot, the smaller kukri would seem more practical. If carting it all in by car, that doesn't matter so much.

Last edited:

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
i always take an axe when i go camping, because i like a good big campfire.
but i am partial to axes- i was a firefighter, and also worked at a sawmill.

i have used a machete several times here in Belize, it is a must here. they are very very common here.
it's real crucial to keep it sharp, to keep it honed and sharpened. a machete that looses much sharpness is completely worthless.

the kukri looks cool. i have never handled one. it looks a little smaller than a machete, is it?
i would want the extra length of a longer machete, personally.
i can see if you are really trying to conserve weight/space the kukri would make a lot of sense.

O

Oberon

You can supposedly do some good hammering with a full kukri (the spine being over 1/4" thick). An axe would be better, but for backpacking and having to carry around all the equipment by foot, the smaller kukri would seem more practical. If carting it all in by car, that doesn't matter so much.

When you get the kukri, just make sure you're getting a working tool. Don't make the mistake of getting a knife so nice that you don't want to chop with it.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
When I'm relying on gear I carry (tent or tarp, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, etc), I never need more than a Mora knife with a 4 inch blade. I paid something like $12 for it brand new. If I had to build a shelter, or rely heavily on fire in the winter with snow deeper than about a foot, I'd prefer to have (but not require) an axe of at least 3/4 length (arm-length handle). The reason for this is that most down wood is buried under the snow, and is either difficult to find, or soaking wet. I have a Wetterlings axe of that size which I like. It's rarely worth carrying that extra three pounds though.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
the kukri looks cool. i have never handled one. it looks a little smaller than a machete, is it?
i would want the extra length of a longer machete, personally.
i can see if you are really trying to conserve weight/space the kukri would make a lot of sense.

Generally they're more like giant knives rather than machete size, with most being around 15~18" in total length (10~12" blade). I have not used one to be able to say from my own experience, but supposedly they're better when kept to around 18" of total length if you're planning to use it as a tool. There are kukri style machettes out there as well which are basically full length machetes with a blade shaped somewhat like a kukri, having that signature forward curve. They have the same functionality as a machete and less than an actual kukri, but are more effective than regular machetes, supposedly.

I've also seen a bowie knife do some good work on wood, though I doubt it's effectiveness at handling flesh (for preparing meat or self defense against large animals). My culinary experience tells me that blades are most definitely NOT equal in that regard. Kukri's are supposedly very good for that job.
Fun/multifaceted/dominating

WTF is that thing?

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
My new toy from Ebay for $75 shipped, though I'm unsure of where it originates from.
17"ANGKHOLA Khukuri Knife-HIGH CARBON STEEL-Nepal Kukri - eBay (item 360250829274 end time Aug-05-10 17:20:20 PDT)
It's a 17" kukri with a 10.5" blade, 3/8" thick. I went to go get it fully sharpened today to a razor edge. It is SHARP. This blade is differentially tempered/heat treated high carbon steel, with max hardness being at the inner flat portion of the edge. The angkhola shape adjusts the mass of the blade to give it better weight profile and balance, as you can see by the "waves" that show up on the side. It's kind of the same principal as an I-beam. This thing is one hell of a chopper!

IMGP0461.jpg

IMGP0462.jpg

IMGP0460.jpg

IMGP0463.jpg

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
i use a cleaver to open up a young coconut in 4 strikes.
pop pop pop pop.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
i use a cleaver to open up a young coconut in 4 strikes.
pop pop pop pop.

Lol, nice to see another fan of fresh coconuts :D. It's great food for hiking/camping. I've actually been looking forward to seeing how easily I can crack one open with my kukri :p .

O

Oberon

You should publish the results of a functional test... chop through some broom-handle-sized saplings, or maybe a ham, and evaluate how well it did.