• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Types of *practical* blades, kukris, machetes, axes, etc.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
You should publish the results of a functional test... chop through some broom-handle-sized saplings, or maybe a ham, and evaluate how well it did.

[YOUTUBE="U8DcwH1fMbw"]Kukri vs Bowie knife[/YOUTUBE]

Large ceremonial kukri vs. cow *Not for the squeemish*

Crazy Kukri

I think the kukri's usefulness beyond ordinary knife and machetes probably comes into play when you need to work with harder wood, such as dry oak. The extra weight and hardness of the blade would make it much more suitable to chopping something like that, whereas something like a bowie would have difficulty getting through, and take more damage ESPECIALLY if you needed to baton it.

Plus, you can't make a tomahawk/axe/machete do this:

[YOUTUBE="0DHGlhFJH0g"]Kukri vs. kitchen tasks *everything is butter*[/YOUTUBE]

Phoenix_400

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w6
Never really messed with a Kukri. I've had a couple of tomahawks and bowie knives though.

A good E-tool goes a long way. I posted the cold steel shovel in the hiking gear thread on here. Just don't ever buy the USGI tri-fold one. Its highly effective at a lot of things, but it uses screw caps to lock the joints. As great as that is for getting it into different configurations, its painful if you're not watching that they stay tight and the damn thing collapses on your hand. :ranting:

I grew up carrying my Great Uncle's issue navy knife and a machete (that Mom used to cut the heads off chickens when she was a kid on the farm) whenever I went in the woods. Had to retire the machete and switched up to a Cold Steel Bolo. Here's that combo:
Woods_blades_2.jpg

Nowadays, my woods blades are that CS shovel (w/ the edges sharpened up a bit) and a 5" Kabar. Need to add a little skateboard grip tape to the shovel handle though, the finish makes it a little too slick.

I also have my 'Triforce of Power'. If I'm wearing pants, I have these on me. Doesn't matter if I'm in a business suit, shorts, or jeans. These are great for more delicate field work.

Kershaw Blur, Leatherman Wave, Surefire E1L Outdoorsman
Triforce_2.jpg

One of my mechanic friends picked up a blur off the Matco truck and was showing it off to me. I reached into my pocket and pulled out the same one I've been carrying for 6 years. He didn't realize he'd bought the same model as me. Best damn folder I've ever owned. He agrees, so much so that he bought a couple more as gifts for his brothers. :D

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
Bow Saw.
Indespensible for being in the wild. Think of it as a poor-mans chainsaw.

bahcobowsaw.jpg

You can get the vareity that comes without the bow (like a thin razor-wire type blade with pull handels at the end) if you are space saving.

These will break down smaller round branches/timber much faster than trying to use an axe trust me. You can even cut down small trees relatively easily with a bow saw if you mimic the same kind of cuts you'd normally do with a chainsaw.

And Oberon: That is awesome, my dad had that blue hatchet and I used it when growing up! Was great for hatchet-throwing contets.

EDIT: found a pic of the Wire Hand-Saw, should be pretty obvious how they work:
wire20hand20saw.jpg

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Update:

I used that kukri to chop up my Christmas tree for firewood and kindling. It was easy as hell to delimb. Chopping through the trunk was also pretty smooth, though heavy with sap ofc.

F

figsfiggyfigs

Freaking great thread!

I'm more of a switch blade sort of gal though... I'm still doing some research on which is the best to get.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
This thread is all over the place, so I might as well add:

I like Opinels for a cheap, sharp, simple pocket folders that I won't feel bad about losing or abusing. They weigh very little.

Supposedly one of the most common pocket knives on the planet.

I had a number 8 Opinel with the standard handle and the carbon steel blade. About $12. It has a convex edge so you need to sharpen it on a softish surface, such as a computer mousepad - it didn't take long to make it very sharp with some progressively finer grit sandpaper. The blade had to be maintained (oil). The steel imparted an unpleasant taste to wet foods, like fruit. It was a great utility knife until I lost it.

I replaced it with a number 8 with a walnut handle and stainless blade. Not quite as sharp, but no rust to worry about. I keep that one in my tool bag.

For other uses, keep in mind they make them in various sizes. They make huge ones for batoning and little ones for your pocket. They aren't really choppers, more slicers.

opiknife.com has worked for me.

I think Estwing axes are excellent, but heavy. They advertise their solid steel shanks in their hammers and axes. Indestructible, and sharpen well. You can get them at Home Depot (in the tool aisle with the hammers, not by the garden tools) - they still look the quality they used to be. They make a mid-sized camp axe that is a good tradeoff between a hatchet and a full handle. I have a hatchet I got at an estate sale. Otherwise ~30 bucks.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
Also, my Sog PowerLock has served me well for quite some time.

I'm thinking about a Leatherman Charge - either the ALX because it has two slots for screwdriver attachments (good for my work) or the TTi which has slightly nicer steels in the blades.

These are both heavy, full sized MTs.