• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What makes my lilac bush...

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
look like this?
DSC04602.jpg

I need help! I love my lilac bushes, but bne of them didn't bloom this year, I assume because of whatever this is (some kind of bug?). How do I fix it??

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Spray with a 50/50 solution of Dr. Bronners natural soap. It is ph 7.0 (neutral) as is tap water.

The bodies of insects are alkaline (ph above 7.0) and upon being sprayed with a ph 7.0 solution, will begin to shrivel like little evil prunes, and then die, without forcing your beloved bush to deal with the strain of processing insecticide material.

Also, have you fertilized lately? I know that a few Miracle grow spikes around my scraggly viburnum bushes made them turn into monstrous giants.

Good luck!!! :D

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
That looks like powdery mildew (lilacs are pretty hardy and most bugs don't harm them too much, but they do occasionally become ill with fungus). Anyway, this is not fatal to your plant, but you probably should trim away the affected areas and apply a general purpose fungicide for the next month, about 2 times per week (spray it on the other healthy bushes too for prevention).

Also, make sure you dispose of the trimmings in such a way that any spores on them will not spread to your healthy lilacs. (burn or put them in a sealed trash bin that's far away from your plants)

To prevent it in the future, you can look for early warning signs and trim away the bad parts and apply fungicide.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Thanks!! That's really helpful. I'll have to pick up some fungicide and try that.