• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hunting rattlesnakes

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
OK. Out here in CA, you can frequently encounter rattlesnakes in some areas. They're not very aggressive when you don't bother them, they just rattle and slither away. Well, I've heard that snake can taste pretty good... and I've never tried it. I love alligator meat... so why not snake meat? Mind you, it doesn't only have to be the super poisonous rattlesnake I go after, as there are plenty of even larger snakes around here I could go for, should I chance upon them again.

I'm a quick and nimble guy, though I'd rather not have to rely entirely on physical ability to keep me out of danger should I decide to go after a snake. So, does anyone here know a thing or two about capturing/hunting snakes?

The next time I'm on a hike I'm actually thinking of going with a good hiking/walking stick, which should do well in pinning down a snake from a distance on its own, but I think I'd rather make it so that I can stick a blade on the end of it on the fly to form a sort of spear when I need it. In fact, that'd be pretty damn useful for a host of other potential situations, mountain lions included x_x.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If it were me, I'd prefer to shoot the snake with a small caliber pistol (.22/.30) or a .410 shotgun, just aim at his head and blow off the top 1/4 of his body, you still have plenty to eat, and very little chance of getting bit.

But since handguns are frowned upon in most areas... :whistling:

The last time I killed a pit viper (it was a cottonmouth) was with a shovel. I pinned down his head by splicing through a 1/3rd of his neck. Then after he tired himself out for awhile trying to flail around and bite the blade of the spade, etc. he got sluggish and I lifted up the spade tip and slammed it down on his neck, decaptiating him.

The most recent snake I killed here in Florida was a long, black rat snake. He was a mean bastard. I almost stepped on him in my Mother-in-law's backyard. He jumped up at me, and then chased me through the backyard. I grabbed a hoe and started chopping at him, and basically chopped him into three pieces as he was striking at me. Little bastard. :laugh:

Remember, a 6 foot rattle snake can strike out at least 9 feet, and maybe even 10-11 feet if it is strong and fully coiled. They are most poisonous when they are smaller, as the poison glands put out the same amount of poison, but there is less water in the sac to dilute it.

Finally, have you considered eating iguana tail instead? They are not poisonous, and if Cali is anything like FL, then you shoukld be bale to find "wild" iguanas at a retention pond/lake near you. :D

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Came across a huge rattler today on my way back from a hike, coiled up and ready to strike. I was too tired to dance around the thing, and the spear I had fashioned wasn't gonna work, so I threw a rock at it and let it slither away. Man, that would've been a fat meal. I think I might try looping them next time with a long pole and string/rope, or constructing a pronged spear, or both on the same spear. I like the latter idea.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Came across a huge rattler today on my way back from a hike, coiled up and ready to strike. I was too tired to dance around the thing, and the spear I had fashioned wasn't gonna work, so I threw a rock at it and let it slither away. Man, that would've been a fat meal. I think I might try looping them next time with a long pole and string/rope, or constructing a pronged spear, or both on the same spear. I like the latter idea.

Dude, check out this snake hunting tool!

:rock:

Crikey That’s A Big Snake

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Here's my favorite story about snakes:

When I was seven...my grandpa took me bass fishing down at lake Santee Cooper.

We were in the fishn' boat and grandpa was taking me through the tree's that grew up out of the water.

A snake dropped off of the tree right in front of me and slithered up under my seat.

I had the o_O expression on my face.

Grandpa looked me straight in the eye and barely smiled. Well it was kind of a smile for grandpa.

"Don't worry about the snake. He won't bother you, unless you bother him."

I don't have a memory of the remainder of the boat ride. Except for getting out of the boat with my fish. :)

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Here's my favorite story about snakes:

When I was seven...my grandpa took me bass fishing down at lake Santee Cooper.

We were in the fishn' boat and grandpa was taking me through the tree's that grew up out of the water.

A snake dropped off of the tree right in front of me and slithered up under my seat.

I had the o_O expression on my face.

Grandpa looked me straight in the eye and barely smiled. Well it was kind of a smile for grandpa.

"Don't worry about the snake. He won't bother you, unless you bother him."

I don't have a memory of the remainder of the boat ride. Except for getting out of the boat with my fish. :)

Go Grandpa!!! :rock:

Awesome story! :D

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
here's what you do.

wear armor (not chainmail). I'm talking like iron at least: metal spiked boots, platelegs, a platebody, and a full helmet depending how far out in the wilderness you are. Bring along a flame thrower and an M16. Make sure you have at least 3 grenades, and you should be set.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
here's what you do.

wear armor (not chainmail). I'm talking like iron at least: metal spiked boots, platelegs, a platebody, and a full helmet depending how far out in the wilderness you are. Bring along a flame thrower and an M16. Make sure you have at least 3 grenades, and you should be set.

A boot and a stick would be far more efficient by comparison ;) .

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have a weird history with catching snakes. I once caught a viper in a fishing net when I was 6. Long story short. I told my dad there were snakes swimming in the small pond I was trying to fish. He didn't believe me, so I decided to catch one. I did, walked up to my father, presented the fishing net under his nose. To which he responded by falling backwards on his chair telling me it's a viper, in a distressed kinda way.

I would however not suggest to catch them with fishing nets. :p

As a teen I once hunted snakes in Italy using a stick and a fishing line with a noose. Which was very effective. People on animal planet catch them by pushing their heads down with twigs and then grabbing their heads. I never really thought that was a smart way to catch them though. What if the twig brakes, or the snake gets out underneath. Noosing them seems safer to me. :p

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
People on animal planet catch them by pushing their heads down with twigs and then grabbing their heads. I never really thought that was a smart way to catch them though. What if the twig brakes, or the snake gets out underneath. Noosing them seems safer to me. :p

There ya go. Amazing how many people watch tv and then think its perfectly smart to just imitate them :/. Pinning them down with a stick has to be done correctly, or as you said, they can slip out or the stick itself and break. It's much smarter to tie it up or hit it from a distance, rendering it incapable of biting you BEFORE you close the distance to finish it off or what have you.

When I encountered a rattler yesterday, I had time to put together my spear and reinforce it with tape (knowing the thing was likely to bend as it had earlier in the day when I tried it on a harmless type of snake). I should've taken the time to just take out my string or fishing line and tie a loop on the end of the pole, then used my knife or box cutter to kill it. Oh well, next time.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
Note:
Keep in mind, a snake can still "bite" you reflexively, even if it's "dead." In any case, remove the head and crush the jaw sideways. Be sure to put the head somewhere where dogs won't get at it. It can still release venom and be dangerous.

The only tools I've used to kill/capture snakes have been:

- pellet rifle
- shovel
- machete

Pellet rifle is good if you have a clean shot.

They also make shot loads (shot shells) for handguns. Chambered in .45 you can take out most small pests with minimal property damage.

4.jpg

The shovel is something you almost certainly own. You can smack it with the broad side to stun and then go for the head. Or, just come up on it and chop down. Or, give it a prod, get it moving from the coiled position, and then chop down.

The machete is equally effective, but you'll mess up the blade if you're on anything except for grass. Just swing.

Gutting a snake is simple. Cut into skin and peel it back. I gutted a snake as a matter of curiosity, and because I wanted to use the skin for something or other. I ended up messing up the skin. Too bad, pretty nice looking copperhead.

Cooking it is probably simple. Just cut it up and cook it cajun style.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Locally, we've got a certain type of snake you can pick up by it's neck and it goes limp.

It seems to faint.

Wish I could remember the specific type, but it's been so long kind of gone "senile" lol

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
I think my method of choice will have to be in suing my 55" pole with an attachable extension that has a wide end to hold the snake down with. Once the snake is pinned, I can come closer and wack it with a machete.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think my method of choice will have to be in suing my 55" pole with an attachable extension that has a wide end to hold the snake down with. Once the snake is pinned, I can come closer and wack it with a machete.

You might want to consider an extension with teeth.

For example, if you press against a snake's head with a flat, smooth pole extension, it can slither around it if it overpowers your hold on it, or if you lose your footing approaching it, etc.

BUT - if your pole's extension has "teeth" then it will more likely dig into the little booger, maybe even enough to pierce his skin, further compelling him to stay still while you go in for the kill.

Finally, what about a chemical inhalant to disorient the snake? Like carburetor cleaner, or brake cleaner, or some other crazzy, high pressure, volatile hydrocarbon vapor? Spray, hold down with pole, whack with machete, LOL! :laugh:

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
You might want to consider an extension with teeth.

For example, if you press against a snake's head with a flat, smooth pole extension, it can slither around it if it overpowers your hold on it, or if you lose your footing approaching it, etc.

BUT - if your pole's extension has "teeth" then it will more likely dig into the little booger, maybe even enough to pierce his skin, further compelling him to stay still while you go in for the kill.

That is the plan, actually. Just need to find something "toothy" to use for that purpose. The spikes cant be too long either, as most of the terrain is solid rock and pressing it against the ground would only leave extra space for the snake to slip around. In fact, a single spike would even work.

Ojian

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm in California too. I've kept snakes for most of my life and have encountered them in the wild many times. Thankfully, most California rattlers are not as bad tempered as many other varieties in the other States.

Best thing to do is just let them be. Most bites usually occur when people try to handle or deal with the snakes, NOT just from accidentally coming upon them and probably never will a rattlesnake actively attack someone.

Rattlesnakes cannot jump or leap when they bite, and will only strike out to a distance of their coiled (S-like) position, usually only a couple feet at most. But they have very fast strikes, so don't tempt them.

If you are intent on killing one for meat, then pinning them down firmly and chopping of the head is the best way. You can use a snake stick, tongs, or other firm and flat stick or object to pin their head down, then something flat and sharp like a shovel head or machete to chop off the head. I highly recommend NOT trying to use a knife, as it gets your hands too close to the head and that is looking for trouble. Discard the dead head if possible without picking it up, cause they can still bite shortly after being killed.

Using any sort of chemicals on the snake probably won't have the effect you are looking for, and would likely damage the environment you are in. Don't bother.

Sarcasticus

Circus Maximus
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Locally, we've got a certain type of snake you can pick up by it's neck and it goes limp.

It seems to faint.

Wish I could remember the specific type, but it's been so long kind of gone "senile" lol

Sounds like a hognose snake. Does it roll over and play dead too?