• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hunting rattlesnakes

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That is the plan, actually. Just need to find something "toothy" to use for that purpose. The spikes cant be too long either, as most of the terrain is solid rock and pressing it against the ground would only leave extra space for the snake to slip around. In fact, a single spike would even work.

Hmmmm.... I'm still looking for a DIY product that looks safe to use.
No luck yet, but...

Here's two great sites for professional snake hunting equipment:

Midwest Tongs.Com

Snakesticks.com: Snake Sticks and Snake Hooks - Professional Equipment for Hunters and Handlers

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've killed a snake and I've eaten one, but not at the same time.

I killed one in my friend's backyard when I was barbequeing lamburgers and hanging out. We saw some kind of pit viper and she freaked out and wanted to close shop and go inside, but I wanted lamburgers!! :rofl1:

This was probably incredibly stupid and impulsive, but I decided I'd just kill the thing to calm her down. Almost grabbed the chainsaw I saw lying around but also saw a machete, and I reasoned - all weapons being equally deadly, the LONGER one is best. :D

I ended up hacking the thing in half, even though it struck out. It made a huge mess and she ended up losing her appetite altogether... more lamburgers for me. :devil:

Then I ate snake when I was in China... it was actually quite delicious, but it wasn't as tender as I expected it to be.

Don't take my advice about snake-hunting though... I easily could've been the one to croak instead.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Now, I present to you my hiking pole: model Orochi. In the pics you can see the snake pinning attachment (spearhead attachment not shown). This combined with my machete should make for quite a good snake hunting trip.

55" pole, without any attachments.

IMGP0413.jpg

IMGP0414.jpg

IMGP0415.jpg

IMGP0416.jpg

IMGP0367.jpg

IMGP0366.jpg

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sounds like a hognose snake. Does it roll over and play dead too?

Hognose it is. There are two varieties here. Eastern/Western?

Coloring and markings are differing.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Now, I present to you my hiking pole: model Orochi. In the pics you can see the snake pinning attachment (spearhead attachment not shown). This combined with my machete should make for quite a good snake hunting trip.

55" pole, without any attachments.

#1 - Freaking Awesome!!! :rock:

#2 - Will that pole work on unruly neighbors? :whistling:

Please keep me posted as to how your quest goes.

I salute you, dude! :2ar15:

-Halla

P.S. Don't get poisoned & stuff, mmmm'kay?! :doh:

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Went out for over 7 hours today and couldn't find ONE snake, though I usually see them every time I go hiking, especially at the location I went to today. Last time I saw three in one day, and I suspect it was because it was very cloudy, yet warm, and the reptiles were out in droves on the open paths so they could warm up. Today was mildly warm, but very sunny, so I suspect most were hiding away from the stronger sun so they dont overheat. I'll have to try again on an overcast day.

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Hey buddy, I hope you're doing well. I would frown upon this in all honesty however I'll give you the info you're asking for as well as my thoughts on the topic.

Firstly let me start this by saying that I used to breed reptiles and was fairly well know for my line of many snakes in years past. I've also road hunted and found thousands of snakes in the wild from common snakes like the Diamondback to les common like that Sidewinder to rare like the Western Green Rat and the Arizona Mountain King. I have killed very very few snakes, in fact, I can think of two I killed only because it was going to be done by the land owner anyway and there was a good chance he would have gotten hurt. I also knew a friend that wanted to eat them so I did it in part so they wouldn't go to waste.

If you come across a snake you want to kill to eat I would say your best bed it to either pin it very securely and remove the head or better yet have your screw on tip be more of a small shovel you cut flat and sharpened so you can behead it as a distance. I don't think your nail tipped stick is the best solution.

If you do take a snake, try not to take huge adults, look for snakes that aren't full on adults that are contributing to the local breeding population. I think you may be well suited to post on craigslist and say you'll remove snakes and try to get them from a place where they will more than likely end up dead or roadkill anyway.

Come to think of it, I'm not going to try to talk you out of it, just research the snake you're taking and take something that's fairly common. Also, bread and fry it for the best taste.

*****ATTENTION*****

Remember, the cut of head of a rattle snake can still bite you or another animal for hours after it's cut off. If you cut the head off do not touch it and cover it with a large rock or dig a hole for it so a dog doesn't sniff it and get bitten. Also, be sure to gut it fairly quickly.