• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Chia seeds (food)

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Has anyone tried this stuff? Chia seeds are the same ones used for chia pets, and yes, they are edible. In fact, they're probably the most concentrated source of omega-3s and the most concentrated source of plant protein. The seeds have a strange quality that makes them gum up when exposed to water, absorbing up to 9 times their own volume in water and forming a thick gel. It has the effect of basically storing water/nutrients in your stomach and slow releasing it.

Salvia hispanica - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I tried these for a long 4 hour hike, and Ive gotta say they really did work. I wasn't dying of thirst as I usually would or about to pass out from fatigue. Eating them on the hike really seemed to keep me evenly hydrated and kept my energy up.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've read about Chia seeds. They are interesting... I'm also wondering where I could get a hold of it.
Would be great for hiking, like you said. I do a lot of that nowadays.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I've never heard of them and apparently we're one of the major producers. Sounds interesting *wonders off to look into it*

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Crazy. I have never heard of it... where do you purchase them?

You can get them at a bunch of places online for like $6~7 per pound (excluding shipping), which is the right price. The plant is practically a weed and produces a shiton of seeds, so there's no reason it should be any more expensive. Alas, everything in a grocery store costs more. You can probably find them at those whole foods/farmer's market type grocery stores, and maybe even vitamin/nutritional stores. There are two farmers market stores in my neighborhood that both sell chia in the vitamins/nutrition section along with flaxseed. The most expensive was $15 per pound, the cheapest was $12. Just call and ask around at those kinds of places.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
I'm sure you could. They're easy growing weeds that grow near desert climates. I just went hiking today and found what looked like the local variety of chia, much to my pleasure. California chaparral is full of sagebrush closer to the coast (sage being a member of the genus salvia, same genus as chia, and both in the mint family), but you can't really find chia til you get near the mountains. Next time I'm out there I'll have to take pics of whatever is left of the chia plants as they seem to be drying up.

F

figsfiggyfigs

OH YES! i love these

My mom used to put them with sweet drinks. They get kinda like bubble tea. except smaller!! <3<3<3

LOVE them.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
OH YES! i love these

My mom used to put them with sweet drinks. They get kinda like bubble tea. except smaller!! <3<3<3

LOVE them.

Yea, the native americans and mexicans would do the same thing, mix the seeds with a kind of juice to make a sweet drink. I plan to make a desert smoothie with wild cactus fruit and chia next week :p . When I'm on hikes I like to mix coconut water and coconut milk with chia seeds, then add a bit of salt. It's an awesome energy booster and hydrator, because the coconut milk and water has a lot of electrolytes, as well as the salt.