• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

180° SOUTH: Conquerers of the Useless

Beorn

Permabanned
Dude, this documentary looks awesome. In it Yvon Chouinard, owner of environmentally friendly company patagonia, and Doug Tompkins set out to retrace their 1968 trip in which they surf, ski and climb their way to Patagonia. Their original trip resulted in over 2 million acres of wilderness in patagonia receiving permanent protection.

[YOUTUBE="cWBz_pxYC0A"]180° SOUTH[/YOUTUBE]

"The hardest thing to do is simplify your life... it's so easy to make it complex"

More info available at 180

I gotta wait till june for it to come out on dvd... there's no way it will be showing at any movie theater around me.

ObeyBunny

MBTI Type
INTJ
Seems like you'd be a fan of 'Into the wild' (Chris McCandless is the main character)

Beorn

Permabanned
Seems like you'd be a fan of 'Into the wild' (Chris McCandless is the main character)

Yeah, I've read the book and seen the movie. I enjoyed them both.

It seems to me though that Yvon and Chris are very different in their views of ethics. They both viewed simplicity of life as desirable, but chris held to a strict view of asceticism that required that he give up all of his money, $24K, and give it to charity. Whereas Yvon built one of the worlds leading outdoor clothing and equipment companies. Since 1985 patagonia has given $34 mill to charity.

Also, Yvon was one of the leading mountain climbers in the world when he went to patagonia. So his trip up the mountain wasn't nearly as stupid as Chris's trip to alaska.