• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Need Guidance for my Journey into the Land of Coffee

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I want to start to like coffee. I figure transitioning into it is a good idea, so that's what I've been doing, but I'm kinda stuck at this point.

I started at the "coffee flavored ice cream" phase, and I want to get to the "cup o' joe" phase. Currently, I'm at the "Double shot grande mocha latte" phase.

Any tips as to where to go next, coffee lovers? :coffee:

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I learned to like coffee because we were allowed to have breaks at work when I was a teen, but only to get coffee. So I was chosen, out of my sister and me, as the one who would have to drink the awful stuff. I loaded the crap up with sugar and choked it down. It was worth it to get breaks.

Why do you want to like coffee? You can order a mocha anywhere usually, what is the benefit of moving up from that?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My reasons for wanting to like coffee (in no particular order):

1. Money. If I can learn to love regular coffee, I can get caffeinated beverages that I like just as much for 1/3 of the price.
2. Socializing. I like the idea of just sitting down for coffee with some friends. That image is nice.
3. If I'm at work or somewhere, they'll often have free coffee and not free tea. Or, the coffee will be hot and the water for the tea won't be, which is a pain (I don't like watching other people eat/drink when I can't).
4. When I find music or food that I dislike, my first instinct (for whatever reason) is to get myself to like it. I don't like missing out, and I love enjoying a diverse variety of things. It means that there's a lot more positivity that I can get out of life/food/music/etc.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
15 Things Worth Knowing About Coffee - The Oatmeal

First, some background reading.

If you're at the mocha latte' phase, you might have a while to go until you're ready to get right down to the nitty gritty. I personally don't like them, but you can try Caffe Americano's, which are essentially just really watered down, or you can try regular coffee but have them leave a lot of room for milk, and have them put caramel syrup in it! This is assuming you're sticking with Starbucks.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
My reasons for wanting to like coffee (in no particular order):

Good reasons. I think you should grab a cup of coffee and load it with cream and sugar. Slowly take less cream and sugar (or sweetener) as you go. No reason to mess around with the goofy mocha stuff.

Also, starbucks plain coffee is pretty nasty and strong. I would have a hard time downing it and I like coffee. Oftentimes stuff at restaurants will be much more enjoyable. Caribou coffee around here has on one of their napkins "we don't go for bitter and burned coffee because it's already taken"

What you eat with coffee makes a difference, too. If you have a dessert along side coffee you will probably enjoy the coffee a lot more.

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Doh, reading is fundamental! I thought you said you were AT the cup-of-joe phase. My suggestion from there was: perhaps find which regional coffee blends you like best. Like with wines, there are characteristics. Floral, balanced, bold, spicy.

But since that is of no use to you at this stage, I would say go with Jock's advice.

I suppose the highest level of coffee connoisseur-ism would be drinking kopi luwak.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
do what i did start drinking it and be like what what bitches! yeah I drink coffee damn straight, biotch! i actually started drinking it because I kind of liked the taste.be sure to throw up a gang sign so people know you mean business or at least grab your crotch.

sculpting

Next move to lattes. Get the vanilla ones first.

Then slowly wean to regular coffee-but the mild version at starbucks. I like to go to a local organic market with coffees from all over the world-they really are quite good and can be very different. Start with lots of cream-like 1/3 cream and 2/3 coffee.

Once you get addicted you can move on to the harder stuff-like workplace coffee with fake creamer. Once you can drink the gas station coffee, you have bottomed out.

At some point your standards decline dramatically-you ask questions like "Hmmm, it's 2 am and I have 3 days of work to do by 8 am. I can mix the crumbs from these three empty bags of coffee together and use napkins as coffee filters and get a fix to keep going until morning...."

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Get a coffee pot (just a $20 drip Mr. Coffee is fine) and a coffee measure, buy Starbucks coffee, have them grind it for you, and make your own. Drink it with 2 percent canned milk and some sugar. Canned milk gives a very rich taste. Slowly decrease the amount of milk and sugar.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
Tip.

Never buy pre-ground coffee, get yourself a grinder, and some whole beans. If you don't have filtered water, let the tap run cold for a good minute or two before you use the water, it flushes out some of the mustiness from the water sitting in the pipes.

Start out with blends. Preferably less roasted varieties, the darker the roast the stronger the coffee. Something in a Kona blend is a good start. I prefer single origin coffees myself. But they can be somewhat expensive, depending on where they are from.

See if you can't find an independent roaster in your area, they usually have the best, and freshest, coffee beans. Plus they like to help newbies out.

Don't be afraid to add milk or creamer, just learn to not overpower the coffee flavor. Same with sugar.

I like black coffee fine, but sometimes I want something to gradually wake me up, not slap me with a 10 pound sledge immediately.

Look this over. Coffee Information and Tips

O

Oberon

Buy roasted Arabica whole bean coffee and an electric grinder. Grind it immediately before brewing.

Make sure you go with a well-known premium brand of 100 percent Arabica beans. This is important.

My lowest-quality coffee I buy is Eight O'Clock brand whole bean, usually the French Roast but sometimes the 100% Colombian. Starbucks beans are more expensive, but worth it if you can afford them.

If you get the chance to drink a cup of Kona coffee, do it, but be warned: Kona is habit-forming, and it may spoil you for anything else.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
^ your first post - what a post! Welcome to the forum!

Seriously, who wants to have iccky coffee breath anyway? Uggghhh....

JTG1984

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I'm just curious as to why you want to start drinking coffee?

There's really no health benefits, it's a money pit, and you will lose sleep.

I wish I never started drinking coffee.

Lux

Kraken down on piracy

In some studies coffee has been shown to lower your risk of diabetes, Parkinson's disease, and colon cancer. It also really helps with that 'mentally alert' state of mind.

As long as you don't drink enough to have your brain rewire itself you shouldn't loose sleep.

You have a point with the money pit thing, though. :laugh:

JTG1984

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
In some studies coffee has been shown to lower your risk of diabetes, Parkinson's disease, and colon cancer. It also really helps with that 'mentally alert' state of mind.

As long as you don't drink enough to have your brain rewire itself you shouldn't loose sleep.

You have a point with the money pit thing, though. :laugh:

You know what else helps you stay "mentally alert"?

Methamphetamine

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
Yeah... or coffee. Not to mention with coffee you still get to keep your original teeth and the healthy tissue content of your nose!! :holy:
Pure win. Unless you drink as much as Voltaire...

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Seriously, who wants to have iccky coffee breath anyway? Uggghhh....

I will link you guys here :)

But seriously - thank you all for your advice! What a veritable wealth of knowledge on the topic, and all in a day or two! I love you guys :wub: