• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Flirting with Veganism, (not Vaginas) and/or Eating Healthy/Organic (not Virgins).

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
monday i started a possible love affair with being a vegan. i am not whole completely sold on it, but so far i'm liking what i see. i just decided it was time to start being healthier for myself and my family.

i baked vegan chocolate chip cookies this morning and they are as good if not better than reg cc cookies!

e62641e1a97e__1271319230000-1.jpg

recipe-

for the vegan members, what's your favorite food?

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
I like the concept of veganism but I'm not sold on the human body being properly adapted to it, even with heavy supplementation.

I've had some pretty decent veggie burgers. They didn't taste at all like meat, but they were heavy and filling.

gromit

likes this
Vegan is great! until the anemia sets in.

If you eat well, it's possible to get your iron from leafy vegetables and fortified cereals. It's the B-12 that is tough. I'm not vegan, just vegetarian, but I take a vitamin that contains B12, C, folate, and iron a couple times a week (i.e. when I remember), just to be safe. I donate blood pretty regularly and only a one or two times have I been rejected due to low hematocrit.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
it's a great idea but wait until some of the consequences start to set in. it's hard to make it a reality. you're better off eating healthy balanced meals.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
i like fish and chicken. red meat now and then. i've replaced milk with almond milk because it has lower calories. i take a multi vitamin daily and drink a shake that is loaded with vitamins. outside of those things, how is not eating meat often, a bad thing?

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
8b100789ea61__1271319341000.jpg

lunch today. vegan buffalo wings and organic brown rice. very good and a lot healthier than reg buffalo wings.

O

Oberon

In the summers I will sometimes go on a veggie kick. I can live for weeks at a time on good spicy beans and rice, enchilada soup, green leafies, fresh tomatoes, and all the chunky onion-and-garlic-laced hummus I can get inside a flour tortilla.

But then it's over, and I must. have. meat.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
:laugh: how dramatic.

anyway i am not going to become a vegan i said "flirting" and as mentioned above, i will continue to eat chicken and fish. as for beef, well every time i eat it i feel like there's a brick in my stomach so i only eat once in a while.

oberon, have you tried the roasted pepper hummus? it's ridiculously delicious.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Whole cultures have existed on vegetarian diets for generations...

Really? Do those cultures have distended bellies like chimpanzee?

I'm a fan of the Paleo concept. If early man hadn't eaten meat. We wouldn't have had the material for our brains to develop, and swung from trees.

O

Oberon

oberon, have you tried the roasted pepper hummus? it's ridiculously delicious.

YES! That and some sun-dried tomato hummus too, which was also very good.

My favorite, though, was from a vegetarian restaurant in Blacksburg, Virginia called Gillie's. They made it with chunks of fresh onion and bits of garlic so strong that it would make your eyes water. I LOVED it.

gromit

likes this
Really? Do those cultures have distended bellies like chimpanzee?

I'm a fan of the Paleo concept. If early man hadn't eaten meat. We wouldn't have had the material for our brains to develop, and swung from trees.

Is this a joke? I don't know you well enough to know your sense of humor...

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Congratulations, Jen. Those cookies look great! Have you ever tried vegan mayonnaise? It's heavenly, better than the real thing. And of course, it's much healthier.

Fecal McAngry

Congratulations, Jen. Those cookies look great! Have you ever tried vegan mayonnaise? It's heavenly, better than the real thing. And of course, it's much healthier.

Given that egg yolks are one of the healthiest (and tastiest) sources of dietary fat on the planet, I highly doubt that either statement is true...

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Given that egg yolks are one of the healthiest (and tastiest) sources of dietary fat on the planet, I highly doubt that either statement is true...
1 tbsp Original Vegenaise
Calories: 90
Cal From Fat: 80 (89%)
Total Fat: 9 g
Sat Fat: 0.5 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 85 mg

1 tbsp Hellman's Real Mayonnaise
Calories: 90
Cal From Fat: 90 (100%)
Total Fat: 10 g
Sat Fat: 1.5 g
Cholesterol: 5 mg
Sodium: 90 mg

The vegan brand is demonstrably healthier, pretty much across the board. It also gets its fat from canola (rapeseed) oil, which is a healthier source than Hellman's soybean oil. And while taste is a personal matter, if you tried it, I suspect you'd like it. Vegan mayonnaise is wonderful.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."