• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Suggestions on Kyuuei's new front yard?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
There are a couple things I'm trying to work on with the front of my house. Namely:

1. Painting it.
2. Creating a couple garden/flower bed areas.

googlemaphouse.jpg

These photos here sorta lay out what I currently have. The areas in red suggest the areas I want to make into flower beds/garden-like areas. The blues are bushes Im having removed. I kinda would like things to match the water fountain I have in the middle of the house set up, but the fountain can be moved.

housemap.jpg

FountainDay.jpg

I have two climbing rose bushes that, so far, haven't died and even bloomed recently. :wubbie: they flank the fountain, and hopefully will crawl up it one day.

Azaleas3.jpg

Also, far off to the left I have an Azalea (or however you spell it) bush that does pretty well where it's at.

So, any thoughts or suggestions as to how to improve the areas outlined in red?

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes. Install a mini roller coaster.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Boxwood
Cedar ground cover + plants
Taking out fountain
Hoeing, Fresh potting soil, Planting roses

O

Oberon

kyuuei, for the area along the garage I recommend you put in a few Indian Hawthornes.

These are a plant-and-forget shrub, drought-tolerant, and it has absolutely thrived in our North Carolina front yard. It's pretty but not extravant. Honey bees like the flowers. It should do well for you. Best of all, it grows slowly, so you aren't always cutting it back.

INDIAN-HAWTHORN.jpg

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Are you opposed to the idea of making one of the paved areas flanked by columns of sun flowers? :unsure:

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't know if it's feasible in Tejas, but I just planted a butterfly garden, and I am hoping it attracts targeted species. I'll post a pic of it soon, I have one more little detail to finish up.

Also, if you're in Texas, then you can grow palm trees, right? Well, a single palm in a yard adds flair, and you know that at Chachkie's, we have an 8 piece minimum of flair, right? :newwink: Seriously though, you can get a nice sized cabbage palm (aka Sabal palm, or pineapple palm) for about $150, and have it planted for another $50. They are so easy to maintain, drought tolerant, and look bad ass compared to your neighbors who aren't flexing them in their yards. :D

Also, consider an interesting variant of bamboo, from here, as they mail order all varieties at a reasonable price:

Bamboo Plants | Lewis Bamboo

Good luck!

:hug:

-Halla

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I second Oberon. Only plant bamboo if you're someone that enjoys slaying hydras*

*removing bamboo actually isn't nearly as fun as slaying hydras.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
can you grow citrus or bananas? I'm not so sure how far north they grow, but if you can I always loved the way that yards looked with them growing in it! :)

gromit

likes this
can you grow citrus or bananas? I'm not so sure how far north they grow, but if you can I always loved the way that yards looked with them growing in it! :)

Plus they are edible. Always a bonus. I vote for edible plants in yards wherever possible.

Ming

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w3
I really think you should have a swing there (one of those swing chairs); it will look good near the trees, and make it seem like it's out of some fantastic vintage photograph if you take it in noir..

:yes: Your children will love you for it too.. if you have any. Grandparents will too..

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Thank you all for your suggestions thus far :) I'm taking note of them.

I am also a fan of edible-when-possible, but I have an affection for Bamboo, so maybe I'll have to get some potted, small bamboo to grow around the fountain.

I think fountains are a big hassle.. but.. my mother will kill me if I get rid of it. :laugh: So sorry I can't take your suggestion, disregard.

Those are really good bushes there, Oberon. they sound like a good idea to flank the side of the house along the L-shape. Small, clean, but pretty up close. Bonus that they're low maintenance, that's really what I'm going for.

Although, I was playing with the idea of having an herb garden out there... The idea of having a butterfly garden on one side, and an herb garden on the other are ones I will have to play with. I like butterflies.

Something Wicked This Way Grows....

from

Something Wicked This Way Grows: Gothic Gardening

Im becoming, quickly, a fan of this site as well. The idea of a theme in each portion is tickling my fancy.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
can you grow lavender there? I've been planning to plant some in my front yard because I love the way that it smells... it takes me back to childhood :wubbie:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Im not sure what grows in our side of the world, to be honest.. I'm assuming anything that's in our local plant stores. :laugh: I need things with shade-to-part sun though and can stand lots of heat.