• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

tasty, healthy foods... recipes please!

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ok, so the man desires to eat super healthy food now, which means that I get to use every vegetable (and some fruits... he's picky about the really tasty plants :dry:) on the planet! However, at the moment we're on a budget, so buying fresh produce every day is a bit of a stretch... on top of that he has a whole set of sweet teeth :doh:

I'm just looking to see if anyone here has some recipes that would fall into the category of healthy, tasty and cheap that they'd be willing to share... I'll be eternally grateful! :wubbie:

basics... he'll eat any vegetable under the sun, I won't eat tofu and can't eat splenda and I haven't encountered a tropical fruit other than a banana that he doesn't claim "tastes odd" :cheese:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
ooh yes i would too love healthy recipes for cheap. I know none.

BRMC117

is an ambi-turner
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w2
Broccoli and Egg Casserole

3 cups broccoli

1 cup chopped onion

2 Tbsp whole wheat flour

1/2 cup water

pepper

3 eggs

2 cups grated Cheddar cheese

Preheat the oven to 350F/180C.
Grease a casserole dish.

Steam the broccoli until tender-crisp Place it in the casserole dish.

In a skillet over medium heat, melt the butter.
Add the onion, and saute until it is soft.
Add the flour to the skillet. Cook and stir for about one minute.
Slowly add the water to the skillet. Cook until the mixture is thickened, stirring constantly.
Add and pepper to taste.
Beat the eggs. Add them to the skillet.
Add the grated cheese. Stir and cook until it melts.

Pour the onion mixture over the broccoli.
Bake until the casserole is firm in the center (about 40 minutes).

I make this all the time, Very good

O

Oberon

Beans and rice cooked on the stovetop with chopped onion, heavy on the ginger, heavy on the garlic, just a touch of salt.

The above dish is dirt cheap to make and can be an abundant staple that adds flavor and fiber to nearly every meal. You can season it in different ways; I like mine with curry powder and chopped red chilis besides.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
though if I cut that recipe down into a single serving it could make a brunch dish for when guests come over (I always have at least 3 bags of frozen broccoli around :blush:)

beans and rice are awesome as well... together they apparently make a complete protein! I got used to the concept that beans and rice go with everything while in Brazil and have introduced the man to the wonders of black bean soup already :yes: I never thought of adding ginger though... I often add a pinch of cloves though :)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I would make the broccoli egg casserole but my room mate hates egg and i can't justyfi making a whole casserole for myself. I might make a broccolli cheese omlete for breakfast and add some mushrooms and spinach and maybe cherry tomatoes.

eagleseven

MBTI Type
INTJ
Student's Rice and Beans

1. Add 2 tablespoons oil to skillet, put on high heat.
3. Add one cup dry rice, stir until rice is slightly browned (and smelling earthy)
4. Mix prefered seasoning into 1&3/4 cups water (soy sauce, chili powder, adobo, tomatoes, whatever)
5. Add seasoned water to skillet, and turn temperature up to high.
6. Once water begins to boil, add chopped-up fresh in-season veggies, or whatever is on sale in the freezer section (I like the stir-fry mixes for this).
7.Once the water is pretty much absorbed, and the rice is fluffy, turn off heat.
8.Open can of beans, drain beans, and mix into rice (add more seasoning, if desired)
9. Mix and pour into bowls.
10. (optional) Grate cheese on top, and allow to melt.
11. Serve!

This has to be one of the cheapest complete-meals on the planet. The rice and beans provide complete protein and carbs, while the cheap vegetables provide vitamins and minerals. I have it at least a few times a week.

Prep time is only 5-10 minutes (depending upon if you have pre-chopped veggies), and unattended cook time is about 20 minutes.

mex-rice-and-beans.jpg

Immaculate Cloud

MBTI Type
INFJ
Two boiled eggs (free-range), diced

1 lettuce head, washed, cut up

2 big juicy tomatoes, sliced

slices of capsicum red and/or yellow

some pine nuts and fresh basil from the herb garden.

salad dressing:

mix olive oil, a little honey, a dash of pepper, salt, sliced onions, crushed garlic together.

Serve.

Immaculate Cloud

MBTI Type
INFJ
Salad 2:

slice red cabbage (about a quarter of a cabbage)

two or three Granny smith apples

juice of lemon to prevent the diced apples changing colour

raisins or cranberry

some creamy salad dressing like the previous salad dressing but with some mayo (home-made pref) mixed in it with some mustard sauce too.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I LOVE pinenuts on salad :heart: but would probably leave the eggs on the man's half, as I have an irrational hatred of eggs (despite the fact that my parents always send back organic free range eggs with me from their farm whenever I visit!) :laugh:

and I'll definitley have to remember to brown the rice before making beans and rice next time as well! :holy: It somehow never occurs to me to do that for anything except for chicken chili, even though I love the unique flavor! :wubbie:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't eat mayonnaise... we only have Miracle Whip in the house because neither of us likes mayonnaise :laugh:

gromit

likes this
I LOVE pinenuts on salad :heart: but would probably leave the eggs on the man's half, as I have an irrational hatred of eggs (despite the fact that my parents always send back organic free range eggs with me from their farm whenever I visit!) :laugh:

and I'll definitley have to remember to brown the rice before making beans and rice next time as well! :holy: It somehow never occurs to me to do that for anything except for chicken chili, even though I love the unique flavor! :wubbie:

Did you grow up on a farm whatever?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Gyros!

Pita bread
Some lettuce
Some tomato slices
Tzatziki sauce (from the store)
Meat (beef or lamb or chicken or whatever you want)
Sliced olives
Hummus (if you want)

Make it like a taco, and voila!

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ Don't go complaining. :1377: They're good for you, after all!

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hummus is easy and very tasty. All you might have to hunt for is tahini.