• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Survival food

ObeyBunny

MBTI Type
INTJ
Hey, there are some things that I wanted to add to my Apocalypse Pantry, but I can’t seem to find them in my general grocery store:

Powdered eggs
Powdered milk
Wheat grains (seeds?) that can sprout little roots if I plant them
Large (20 pounds or more) dehydrated corn
Canned carrots
Canned potatoes
Freeze dried or dehydrated (mildew proof) fruit.
Any other dehydrated bean other than Pinto beans
Powered butter
Canned meat (preferably not cat food)
Soft chewable vitamins (like the gummy bear vitamins)

I don’t like ordering food online- any suggestions?
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Note!
I don’t need any more things like rice, ramen noodles, honey, canned tomato soup, and pinto beans. I’ve got enough as it is. (I haven’t even gotten into my supply and I’m already sick of the lack of variety)

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
umm...go to a larger grocery store?

powdered milk is everywhere, even at gas stations sometimes. that "carnation" stuff.
canned carrots and potatoes are also in every grocery store I've been to. unless you're out of north america? and why canned potatoes, when you can grow potatoes so easily? carrots too for that matter. not an optimal use of space/weight.

a bulk food store would have a lot of the dried stuff. We have bulk barn around here, there's probably an equivalent wherever you are.

i would probably be more interested in ways to create food, personally, if I were worried about such things. you can't buy a lifetime's worth of food. unless you don't actually mean apocalypse.

ObeyBunny

MBTI Type
INTJ
TOO MANY PINTO BEANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have an Apocalypse Pantry? I call mine The Kitchen. :popc1:

I call it my apocalypse pantry because it has 50 pounds of pinto beans and 100 pounds of rice (both of which I hardly bear eating after 5 consecutive days.)

So it’s food that I won’t be dipping into unless an actual emergency happens.

ObeyBunny

MBTI Type
INTJ
umm...go to a larger grocery store?

powdered milk is everywhere, even at gas stations sometimes. that "carnation" stuff.
canned carrots and potatoes are also in every grocery store I've been to. unless you're out of north america? and why canned potatoes, when you can grow potatoes so easily? carrots too for that matter. not an optimal use of space/weight.

a bulk food store would have a lot of the dried stuff. We have bulk barn around here, there's probably an equivalent wherever you are.

i would probably be more interested in ways to create food, personally, if I were worried about such things. you can't buy a lifetime's worth of food. unless you don't actually mean apocalypse.

Powdered milk stores much more compact than Carnation evaporated milk (which is still a liquid.) My pantry is actually kind of small.

I have seen canned carrots and canned potatoes available, but only in 16 ounce cans. Buying 10 smaller cans turns out to be way more expensive than buying a single 10 pound can.

I’ve also tried growing potatoes in my back yard and they usually die within 4 weeks (after looking extremely healthy, too.) I think that there is some kind of fungus in the ground that attacks my potatoes, pumpkins, and grapes. The only things I can grow in my back yard are orange trees, carrots, avocado trees, peas, and (so far) corn. Everything else needs to be confined to a pot or else it molds over before it has time to fruit.

(and while I can and do grow my own carrots, they take up a lot of space in my yard but yeild less than 10 pounds of food)

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
carnation makes powdered milk too, maybe it's just not as popular where you are, I guess.

I dunno though, I'd stick to calorie/nutrient-dense food for cans. Simple carbs are easy to get with things like flours/grains which are much more dense/easier to store. Lentils, dried beans and peas are also easy to store.

I'm not sure of the point though, unless you're planning on a short-term emergency of some kind. your food will run out eventually. and for anything less than an atomic bomb, what's in a normal pantry would probably last long enough for food supplies to re-establish. granted I'm biased in having a very large "normal pantry" supply...

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
No, seriously, just re-read what you can't find at the grocery store list, and I'm completely baffled!!!

Where do you live?!!?

:shock:

ObeyBunny

MBTI Type
INTJ
Where do you live?

:thelook:

Southern Callifornia, about a 2 hour drive from Los Angeles.

I’ve been to Walmart, Sam’s Club, Costco, Albertsons, Ralphs, and the 99cent store. None of them have the types of items I want in the quantities that I want.

ObeyBunny

MBTI Type
INTJ
Are you agoraphobic-ish?

Definition: suffering from agoraphobia; abnormally afraid of open or public places. a morbid fear of open spaces (as fear of being caught alone in some public place)
---
No, I'm nestled pretty deeply in the suburbs. If I want to buy food or go to work, I have to drive to crowded markets.

As far as I can tell, I don't have agoraphobia.

WoodsWoman

MBTI Type
INFP
A natural food store or cooperative would have what you're looking for - if they don't they can order it.

You are looking for non instant dry milk - carnation is instant.
This site has some good info:Food Storage FAQ and has a links section with suppliers - good ones.

Another useful resource is Backwoods Home Magazine's site

ObeyBunny

MBTI Type
INTJ
Update!
I found some powdered milk, but I was disapointed sense it expires this year.

ObeyBunny

MBTI Type
INTJ
FUCK YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As my birthday started getting closer, my parents finally took me to a Honeyvill store (they sell freeze dried fruits, eggs, vegetables, etc. that have a shelf life of 10 to 15 years.)

I can scratch powered butter, powered milk, powered cheese sauce, powdered eggs, freeze dried vegetables, freeze dried strawberries, and freeze dried peaches off my list.

I can't tell you how good it feels to finally get some survival supplies on my pantry shelves at home.

KDude

a pain in the ass to cook in desperate survival situations, but i always thought if i became homeless, i could survive off pancakes (and some protein on the side). they're really filling and cost little.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Hey, there are some things that I wanted to add to my Apocalypse Pantry, but I can�t seem to find them in my general grocery store:

Powdered eggs
Powdered milk
Wheat grains (seeds?) that can sprout little roots if I plant them
Large (20 pounds or more) dehydrated corn
Canned carrots
Canned potatoes
Freeze dried or dehydrated (mildew proof) fruit.
Any other dehydrated bean other than Pinto beans
Powered butter
Canned meat (preferably not cat food)
Soft chewable vitamins (like the gummy bear vitamins)

I don�t like ordering food online- any suggestions?
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Note!
I don�t need any more things like rice, ramen noodles, honey, canned tomato soup, and pinto beans. I�ve got enough as it is. (I haven�t even gotten into my supply and I�m already sick of the lack of variety)

How you could forget nuts is beyond me. Some of the most calorie and nutrient dense food you can find, extremely portable, no prep needed, and long lasting. When I go camping I don't go without a healthy supply of nuts.