• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Vegetarian Recipes

gromit

likes this
Saag (Indian Spinach)

4 to 6 servings

• Butter -- 2 tablespoons
  • Onion, chopped -- 1
  • Garlic, minced -- 6 cloves
  • Ginger root, minced/shredded -- 1 tablespoon
  • Coriander, ground -- 2 teaspoons
  • Turmeric -- 1/2 teaspoon
  • Red pepper -- 1/4 teaspoon
  • Spinach, chopped (I used frozen) -- 1 pound
  • Water -- 1/2 cup
  • Salt -- 3/4 teaspoons
  • Yogurt -- 1 cup

1. Heat the butter in a large pot or saucepan over medium flame. Add the spices, stirring until fragrant. Add the onions, ginger, and garlic and sauté until onions begin to be translucent.
  2. Stir in the spinach, water and salt and bring heat it until it is bubbling. Reduce heat to low and simmer for another 10 to 15 minutes.
  3. Stir in yogurt and return to brief simmer and immediately remove from heat. Adjust seasoning and serve.

Adapted from this recipe.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I've posted my *favourite dish before and am suitably lazy so *snip-paste*

Agedashi tofu is one of my favourite easy and tasty dishes to make. It's a simple Japanese way to serve hot tofu. Silken (kinugoshi) firm tofu, cut into cubes, is lightly dusted with potato starch or cornstarch and then deep fried until golden brown. It's then served in a hot tentsuyu broth made of dashi, mirin, and shoyu (Japanese soy sauce), and topped with finely chopped green onions or grated daikon *rubs belly*

agedashi-tofu.jpg

*non-Mexican one that is, Mexican food easily pwns all other.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yuppers, and it is awwwwesome!

Not a huge tofu fan but that's like totally-bad-for-you junkfood, without being totally bad for you :D

Just Some Guy

MBTI Type
ENTJ
4 to 6 servings

• Butter -- 2 tablespoons
  • Onion, chopped -- 1
  • Garlic, minced -- 6 cloves
  • Ginger root, minced/shredded -- 1 tablespoon
  • Coriander, ground -- 2 teaspoons
  • Turmeric -- 1/2 teaspoon
  • Red pepper -- 1/4 teaspoon
  • Spinach, chopped (I used frozen) -- 1 pound
  • Water -- 1/2 cup
  • Salt -- 3/4 teaspoons
  • Yogurt -- 1 cup

1. Heat the butter in a large pot or saucepan over medium flame. Add the spices, stirring until fragrant. Add the onions, ginger, and garlic and sauté until onions begin to be translucent.
  2. Stir in the spinach, water and salt and bring heat it until it is bubbling. Reduce heat to low and simmer for another 10 to 15 minutes.
  3. Stir in yogurt and return to brief simmer and immediately remove from heat. Adjust seasoning and serve.

Adapted from this recipe.

There's a version of this made with lamb. It's good. Regular old saag is good too, but I prefer having animal fat and muscle season my food.

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
This is a simple recipe, but it's one that I love, and it's great for a little snack/lunch type thing.

Mozzarella and Tomato Panini

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
Ingredients:

* 8 slices sourdough or Italian ciabatta bread
* 8 slices Mozzarella cheese
* 1 large tomato, cut into slices
* 1/2 cup pesto
* 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Preparation:
Preheat grill for medium heat. Place cheese on 4 slices of bread. Spread pesto over cheese and top with tomato slices and remaining bread. Brush both sides of sandwiches with oil and place on the grill. Cook each side for about 4 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Remove from heat and serve.

gromit

likes this
Thanks for the recipe metaphours. I've purchased that type of sandwich before, but somehow never thought to make it myself.

Yuppers, and it is awwwwesome!

Not a huge tofu fan but that's like totally-bad-for-you junkfood, without being totally bad for you :D
NICE. :)

There's a version of this made with lamb. It's good. Regular old saag is good too, but I prefer having animal fat and muscle season my food.

Well, I do like saag paneer...

Last edited:

mockingbird

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
This is one of my favorite recipes from my Italian grandma Annie. She called it "frosia", and I have never been able to find it in any Italian cookboook. It may actually be unique to my family. It's like a frittata, but with a much different texture because of the bread she dissolves in the mixture. I loved eating it with her special Lenten season spaghetti made with lots of fresh fennel right from her own garden. Wonderful memories!:wubbie:

"Frosia"

1 dozen eggs
1 pkg hot dog buns
1 small onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups grated Romano
1 small handful fresh mint, finely chopped
salt, pepper, and garlic to taste

Crumble up buns in large mixing bowl. Add other ingredients and mix well. (Dissolve the bread as much as possible. No big lumps). Pour in greased skillet and bake in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. Cool slightly, turn out upside down onto serving plate and cut into little squares.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
how about some vegan recipes? I'm slightly lactose intolerant and I'm trying to cut down on dairy since it gives me gas and loose stools, I know TMI. I found some non-dairy ice cream I like made with coconut milk I can do some dairy like if I do half a bagel with cream cheese I'm fine but much more then that it's not pretty. I also like almond milk in cereal that's good

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
we've taken to using avocado in place of cheese lately because it's a healthier fat, ms chickens! :)

we've also been rather creative with sandwiches without meat recently... healthier foods and such :yes:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
they've been on sale here recently as well... I've been using guacamole as my only sandwich condiment lately... it's actually quite delicious :drool:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
yeah the organic ones at whole foods been 99 cents recently so I bought a bunch ate them all I love to just cut them and eat them with a spoon delicious snack. I don't usually buy organic but i was like why not and mangos were a dollar each so of course I bought some mangos

gromit

likes this
This is one of my favorite recipes from my Italian grandma Annie. She called it "frosia", and I have never been able to find it in any Italian cookboook. It may actually be unique to my family. It's like a frittata, but with a much different texture because of the bread she dissolves in the mixture. I loved eating it with her special Lenten season spaghetti made with lots of fresh fennel right from her own garden. Wonderful memories!:wubbie:

"Frosia"

1 dozen eggs
1 pkg hot dog buns
1 small onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups grated Romano
1 small handful fresh mint, finely chopped
salt, pepper, and garlic to taste

Crumble up buns in large mixing bowl. Add other ingredients and mix well. (Dissolve the bread as much as possible. No big lumps). Pour in greased skillet and bake in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. Cool slightly, turn out upside down onto serving plate and cut into little squares.

Cool! My dad is 1/2 Italian, but I never got to meet either of his parents (they both died before I was born). I'm excited to try this.

how about some vegan recipes? I'm slightly lactose intolerant and I'm trying to cut down on dairy since it gives me gas and loose stools, I know TMI. I found some non-dairy ice cream I like made with coconut milk I can do some dairy like if I do half a bagel with cream cheese I'm fine but much more then that it's not pretty. I also like almond milk in cereal that's good

Certainly. Vegan as well. I have a good one for this yellow lentil soup that has sweet potatoes and coconut milk that I'll see if I can find. The problem is that I usually just find recipes online and then modify them and forget about them.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I love lentil soup so i would love that recipe. I'm not vegan I still eat some meat I just don't eat it all the time and my diet was consiting mostly of dairy in replace of meat then it dawned on my my gi distress probably had to do with dairy so I'm looking for other sources of protein.I still eat meat occasionally i can do cheese occasionally but trying to cut down defiently. because the more dairy i do in the day the sicker I feel later.according to my mom whose a nutrietionist that a lot of people who are lactose intolerant can do hard cheese fine since alot of the lactose is gone i don't know what she said exactly.

mockingbird

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Does anyone have a good recipe for falafel? There is this restaurant in town that serves this falafel sandwhich with marinated eggplant, hummus, tomato, lettuce and onion on a pita.:drool: It's not only my favorite vegitarian sandwich, it's my favorite sandwhich, period! I'd love to recreate it at home.

gromit

likes this
Oh I think I made it one time! I will see if I can dig up the recipe.

This is another good reason to have the thread (in addition to sharing): I can have all of my recipes for my own future use, no?

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I cheat and buy pre-made falafel mix. Effort v reward is in check then. :D