• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Vegetarian Recipes

A

Anew Leaf

I mentioned these in some other thread, so I thought I would show how to make them to those who may be interested. ([MENTION=9602]YWIR[/MENTION] :))

Kale Chips!

First, you start with kale! The one that works best looks like this:

66gtgk.jpg

Second, you tear it up into small bite-sizeish pieces. Kind of like this:

2bo2sh.jpg

Add in a tablespoon or so of olive oil and toss. (Please note: you will want your kale to be super dry for this. I find it best to wash it before hand and let it kind of air dry a bit after it goes through the salad spinner. :))

Third, lay out in a thin layer onto a cookie sheet:

34qtw1x.jpg

I add fresh cracked black pepper, kosher salt, and red pepper flakes. Feel free to flavor it however you wish. :)

Cook in a preheated oven at 400 degrees for approximately 8-10 minutes. You can flip them a bit after about 5 minutes.

In my example, I let them go 12 minutes and that was a tick too long. :)

They really shrink up into nice crispy pieces. :drool:

2gtp8id.jpg

They are a nice alternative to chips and crisps if you want to eat a bit healthier. They are probably an acquired taste... :)

F

figsfiggyfigs

I mentioned these in some other thread, so I thought I would show how to make them to those who may be interested. ([MENTION=9602]YWIR[/MENTION] :))

Thats awesome thank you. I'm back at my apartment, I will definitely give this a try today or some time this week! Appreciate it :D

A

Anew Leaf

Thats awesome thank you. I'm back at my apartment, I will definitely give this a try today or some time this week! Appreciate it :D

You're very welcome! :biggrin:

A bunch of kale makes about 1 large bowls worth... very nice for when snacking during movies. :D And it's hard to share. :laugh:

Fleeting

MBTI Type
ENTP
Made a bunch of Vegan treats today. (Vegan!)

My spin on Vegan Macaroons from another recipe somewhere out there:

Mix together:

1 tablespoon of chia seeds
1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds
6 tablespoons of organic coconut palm sugar
6 tablespoons of coconut milk (I got it from a can, and just mixed it all up. So the 'cream', or 'fat' is in it too.)
3 drops of almond extract
Some vanilla powder, or extract

Add:

6 tablespoons of flour (I figure it could be any type, I used organic white flour, but don't often like to use white flour. Was going to use rye, or barley flour, but this was a first time recipe.)
1 1/2 cup of unsweetened desiccated or shredded coconut

Mix it all up good, use a cookie scooper onto prepared sheet pan. Cook at 350 degrees Fahrenheit or 175 degrees Celsius for 12 - 15 minutes. I probably cooked mine a little longer. Depends on how you like it, and the oven.

They were delicious.

Another fun one that I didn't make tonight is homemade vegan chocolate.

Melt some coconut oil, or cocoa butter (I like organic everything.)
Add cocoa powder (raw or not, whatevs)
Add liquid sweetener of some type. (Maple syrup, raw organic agave nectar, syrup, honey, whatever floats your boat!)

Pour concoction of chocolate into container, pop it in the freezer for 5 - 10 minutes. Voila.

Fleeting

MBTI Type
ENTP
Also, some ingredients that all Veg-inclined should have in their kitchen. Or at least try:

Tahini (ground hulled sesame. It's used in hummus.) - I'm weird and like to drizzle it on my oatmeal. Love this stuff. Could put it on anything edible.

Hummus - It's pretty great, but I prefer...

Homemade Vegan Cheese - Normally made out of some type of neutral-tasting nut such as cashews (most common), sunflower seeds, macadamia nuts, blanched almonds, etc. That being said...

Nutritional Yeast (It may sound bad, but it's nutritious, and incredible. It's kinda like.. Vegan parmesan. It's an important ingredient in Vegan cheese making. Sometimes Vitamin B12 fortified)

From Wikipedia: ''Nutritional yeast is produced by culturing a yeast in a nutrient medium for several days. The primary ingredient in the growth medium is glucose, often from either sugarcane or beet molasses. When the yeast is ready, it is killed (deactivated) with heat and then harvested, washed, dried and packaged.''

Miso Paste
- This one's made from soybeans, sometimes rice or rice added, salt. It's fermented, so there's lots of great nutrients here, B-vitamins. Good to make soup, I've read. I tried it for the first time for my sunflower seed cheese, instead of nutritional yeast. It worked great. Will add the yeast too, though, once I pick up some more.

Oats
, for obvious reasons

I'm out of ideas.

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Rice & Peas

You can use any type of rice you want; Long Grain/Basmati/Brown/Wild...
Chick peas
Black eyed peas
Kidney beans

(You can add onions and garlic and coconut milk and stuff, if you want, but, I didn't know that before.)

1 - get rice, put into a saucepan.
2 - pour boiling water on to your rice, I'd say 3 cups of water per 1 cup of rice for this dish, turn on heat, don't let boil over, time it to how long it takes to cook your rice. (Often found on the bag of rice.)
3 - open canned chick peas, pour into a siv, run water to rinse off the salt, and do the same with the black eyed peas and kidney beans, and add 6 to 5 minutes before the rice is done.

Drain away the water, let it cool off and serve as a side dish or whatever.
Goes well with Soy Sauce or Hot Sauce. - I wouldn't try this with Wasabi though.

gromit

likes this
Today with my German roommate and his gf (also German) we had a delicious feast - boiled eggs, salad, potatoes, and sour cream with chives and lemon.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I say mango ceviche. Use artificial crab instead of the real deal

-2 mangoes diced
-2 avocadoes sliced
-1 lb artificial crab
-1/4 onion sliced very fine
-1/2 of a lemon worth of lemon juice
-a smidgen of salt

Extras can be added if desired like cilantro or a bit of tomato, butI find too many different tastes can clash

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/3019

CreativeCait

MBTI Type
PING
Also, some ingredients that all Veg-inclined should have in their kitchen. Or at least try:

Homemade Vegan Cheese - Normally made out of some type of neutral-tasting nut such as cashews (most common), sunflower seeds, macadamia nuts, blanched almonds, etc. That being said...

Ohhhhh, do you make the homemade Vegan Cheese from nuts? If so can you please share your recipie/method?? I'm dy-ing to get my hands on some and where I live they don't sell it in the health food stores :cry:

If anyone could post any recipies on this I would love you forever :heart::heart::heart::heart:

Pinker85

Chia Pudding:

1 cup coconut milk
2 tbsp raw chia seeds
Sweetener of choice to taste (I use agave)

Mix together and leave to set for 30 minutes. I like stirring in fresh fruit and topping it with a mix raw hemp seeds, ground coconut, and almonds.

goos007.jpg

CreativeCait

MBTI Type
PING
This recipie revolutionised Tofu for me. I'm now intolerant to soy and ginger and can't eat it, but it would give me great pleasure to share this excellent dish so others can enjoy it. I used to love making it for breakfast/brunch, especially after a good exercise session. YUM YUM YUM! It's from Moosewood Restaurant of NY.

Indian Tofu Scramble
- Serves 3

Prep
1. Sandwich 16 ounces of soft tofu between two heavy plates with a weight on top (20-30mins is good). Give a good press and remove remaining water at end.
2. Start Basmati rice in rice cooker to serve with scramble

Cooking
1. Cook 1 chopped onion in oil for 5 mins
2. Add 1 cup chopped red pepper, 3 minced garlic cloves, 2 tbsp fresh minced ginger, 1/2 tsp tumeric, 2 tsp curry powder and saute for 4 minutes (add a little water if necessary).
3. Crumble pressed tofu into the vegetables and stir gently until well mixed. Cook for 4-5 minutes without stirring.
4. Gently turn over and cook another 2-3 minutes.
5. Place 3 cups of spinach leaves on top, cover the pan and steam for 1-2 minutes (limp but still bright green).
6. Serve on rice.

Enjoy! Let me know if you try it and what you think :)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I just found one, haven't tried want to though
Vegetable Tagine with Chermoula and Couscous
  • 2 c dried lima beans
  • 2 onions
  • 4 large cloves garlic
  • 1/2 c olive oil
  • 5 tsp ras el hanout spice mix
  • 1 (14.5 oz) can chopped tomatoes
  • 2 TBS tomato paste
  • 2 c vegetable broth plus 1 1/4 c
  • 1lb 2oz squash
  • 3 zucchini
  • 3/4 c dried prunes or apricots
  • 2tsp honey
  • 1 large bunch cilantro
  • 1 large red chile
  • 1 TBS toasted sesame seeds
  • 1 lemon
  • 2 1/3 c couscous
  • 1 TBS Butter

1. Put the lima beans into a large bowl of water and leave them to soak overnight. the beans will swell to about twice their original size

2. Drain the soaked beans, put them in a large pan, cover with clean water and bring to a boil. Cook for 40-50 minutes, or until tender but not soft, occasionally removing any froth from the surface of the water if necessary. Drain Well

3. Meanwhile, roughly chop the onions and 3 1/2 garlic cloves. Heat 3 TBS of oil in a large pan, then ad the onions and garlic and fry over a gentle heat for 10 minutes, until soft

4. stir the ras el hanout into the pan, then cook for 2 minutes until the spice smells fragrant

5. Add the tomatoes, then add the tomato paste, 2 c of broth and the drained beans. Cover, bring to a boil, then simmer for 30 mins. The beans will be very nearly cooked by now. Meanwhile peel and seed the squash and chop into large chunks. Peel some of the skin from the zucchini to make stripes, if you like, then thickly slice them. It's not essential to peel the zucchini-- the stripes are just for decoration.

6. Add the zucchini, squash, and dried fruit to the pan, then simmer again for 20 minutes, or until the vegetable are tender and the tagine is thick and saucy. Stir in the honey.

7. While you wait, make the chermoula dressing and prepare the couscous. Roughly chop the cilantro leaves and put them into a bowl. Finely chope the chile and crush the remaining garlic, then add to the bowl with the rest of the olive oil, and most of the sesame seeds. Grate in the lemon zest and squeeze in half the juice. Season with salt and pepper

8.For the couscous, mix the couscous and the rest of the lemon juice in a large bowl, Dot the butter over the top in small pieces. Bring the remaining broth to a bowl, then pour it over the couscous. Cover tightly with plastic wrap, then set aside for 10 mins.

9. When the 10 mins is over, remove the plastic wrap and fluff up the couscous with a fork. Season generously with salt and pepper and serve with the tagine with spoonfuls of the chermoula swirled on top. Sprinkle with remaining sesame seeds.

Fleeting

MBTI Type
ENTP
Ohhhhh, do you make the homemade Vegan Cheese from nuts? If so can you please share your recipie/method?? I'm dy-ing to get my hands on some and where I live they don't sell it in the health food stores :cry:

If anyone could post any recipies on this I would love you forever :heart::heart::heart::heart:

Here's my go-to recipe. I often modify with spices and strange ingredients, but it works great. I love using it as a spread, a sauce, or for macaroni and cheese. :)

http://detoxinista.com/2011/01/move-over-kraft/

I don't generally use the entire recipe for mac n' cheese though. I'll put a tablespoon or two, maybe three. :p Whatever makes it look best to me.

CreativeCait

MBTI Type
PING
Yum! I love mac n cheese. I can tell its going to be an awesome month of practicing the art of vegan cheese-making - thanks for the recipies to try out :happy2:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I made this up last night, and i realized it was vegetarian, everyone loved it
Tomato Soup
Quarter of onion
Oil
Butter
Herbs
One fresh tomato chopped
Salt
White pepper
paprika
One 15 oz can tomato sauce
One 15 oz can water
Heavy cream

Sauté onion in oil and butter along with herbs until softened. Add tomato, cook for 5 minutes until able to smash tomato with minimal effort. Add paprika, salt, pepper to taste. Add tomato sauce and water simmer for 20 minutes. Transfer to blender. Blend til smooth. Return to pan add cream til desired consisenty is reached.

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Pasta with Vegan Curry Sauce
(adapted from a recipe found here)

1 lb. dry pasta
2 tbsp olive oil
1 small or medium onion, chopped
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 c. diced tomato
1 tbsp curry powder
cayenne to taste
2 c. peas
2 c. soy milk
1/8 c. chopped cilantro

Cook pasta. I use linguini, but any pasta works. You can start on the vegetables and curry sauce while the pasta cooks and be done by the time the noodles are ready.

In a pan, skillet, or wok, heat oil over medium-high heat and add onion, cooking until softened, about 2 minutes. Add cumin, stirring to combine, and cook another minute.

Add tomato, curry powder, and cayenne. Cook about 1 minute, then add peas. (Really, you can use any canned or frozen vegetable here. I've made this recipe with a frozen broccoli/corn/pepper strips mix -- tossed in the water with the pasta, actually -- and it worked well.) Cook another minute. Remove from heat and stir in the milk.

Drain the pasta and toss with the sauce. Top with chopped cilantro. You can serve this hot, but it also makes great leftovers -- stored in a sealed container overnight, the flavours permeate the dish. For added texture, top with toasted almond slivers. I eat this by itself, but it also goes well with a crusty bread.

A note on measurements: I often use a generous 2 tbsp of oil; it's better to have a little too much than not enough. Ditto the curry powder, cilantro, and milk. This should be a flavourful dish, so don't skimp on the spices.

gromit

likes this
Here's a website that has some delicious stuff. Sometimes the ingredient lists can be a bit excessive, but I like the general philosophy behind it, minimize the use of plain white starches. Emphasis on beans and lentils and other whole sources of protein, as well as lots of fresh veggies.

http://101cookbooks.com/

In direct contradiction to what I just wrote about the white starches, I'm excited to try her golden potstickers as a treat.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Rinse n oil up an eggplant. Poke several holes for ventilation and bake.
w/ whatever other veggies, etc.

Slice cooked eggplant in halves, sprinkle choice spices and stuff rice / veggies inside.
Can replicate a sort of cheesy texture.

Grapefruit, artichoke, almonds, lemon juice, frisee and pecorino over leavy greens to round it out.