• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Vegetarian Recipes

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
This is easy to prepare and ready in half an hour. I adapted it from a book, and measurements are US. It's vegan as well as vegetarian, for our animal-loving and/or lactose-intolerant friends. :)

PEANUT BROCCOLI NOODLES

1 lb. pasta
1/4 c. sesame oil
1/4 c. rice vinegar
1/4 c. soy sauce
1/8 c. lemon juice (2 tbsp)
½-1 tbsp. ground ginger
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 c. creamy peanut butter
~15 oz. frozen broccoli
5-10 scallions and/or radishes (1 bunch)

Boil 5 quarts of water and prepare pasta according to directions. When there are 7-8 minutes left, add the broccoli.

Meanwhile, combine the oil, vinegar, soy sauce, lemon juice, ginger, garlic, and peanut butter in a large bowl, then whisk together until smooth. Chop the scallions and set them aside.

When the pasta and broccoli are done, toss them with the sauce and scallions. Serve hot.

Any pasta will do, but I use spirals; they hold the sauce well. You can substitute 1-2 heads of fresh broccoli for the frozen, but I like not having to do the extra work, and I really don't mind frozen.

gromit

likes this
I cheat and buy pre-made falafel mix. Effort v reward is in check then. :D

Yes, I remember now. That is what I did too...

burymecloser - that sounds good! I have made something similar with tofu added as well, for protein.

Last edited:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
mmmm peanutbutter noodles i could make that and eat on it for at least a few days if not longer

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
This is easy to prepare and ready in half an hour. I adapted it from a book, and measurements are US. It's vegan as well as vegetarian, for our animal-loving and/or lactose-intolerant friends. :)

PEANUT BROCCOLI NOODLES

1 lb. pasta
1/4 c. sesame oil
1/4 c. rice vinegar
1/4 c. soy sauce
½-1 tbsp. ground ginger
4 cloves garlic, chopped
~15 oz. frozen broccoli

Boil 5 quarts of water and prepare pasta according to directions. When there are 7-8 minutes left, add the broccoli.

Meanwhile, combine the oil, vinegar, soy sauce, lemon juice, ginger, garlic, and peanut butter in a large bowl, then whisk together until smooth. Chop the scallions and set them aside.

When the pasta and broccoli are done, toss them with the sauce and scallions. Serve hot.

Any pasta will do, but I use spirals; they hold the sauce well. You can substitute 1-2 heads of fresh broccoli for the frozen, but I like not having to do the extra work, and I really don't mind frozen.

This sounds fabulous. I'm going to try it for sure.

lunalove

MBTI Type
ENF
Enneagram
6w5
I got this recipe from Alex Jamieson's site (her husband is Morgan Spurlock from Supersize Me) Recipes – Nutrition for Empowered Women

It's delicious!! She doesn't mention adding water...so just add some water until it's the consistency you want.

Raw Soup? Awesome Taste and Detox in a Bowl

Ingredients:

1 ripe Haas avocado, pitted and scooped

2 scallions, diced green and white parts

1 red pepper, seeded and chopped

1 cucumber, peeled if waxy

2 handfuls of spinach

1 small clove garlic

1 teaspoon Bragg’s Liquid Aminos

Juice of 1 lemon or lime

Optional: fresh parsley, basil leaves, cilantro, cayenne powder, almonds soaked overnight in water and drained, etc.

Blend all the ingredients together until creamy – enjoy!

As a side dish or snack, I like cauliflower w/ olive oil and some garlic/onion powder, (add some kelp granules too if desired), cooked in the oven in a roaster pan, for about 45 minutes at 425 degrees. Check it after 1/2 though.

Roasted veggies! Cut up some veggies (I use peppers, butternut squash, winter zucchini, and such) and stick in a roaster pan w/ olive oil, kelp granules or salt, and a bit of garlic powder. Cook at 400 degrees for 40 minutes to an hour. If you like, you can add some nuts or seeds to this to get some protein (like hemp seeds or pine nuts, for example).

This isn't a recipe, but I have been eating whole wheat pita with store bought hummus and hemp seeds and/or ground flax. It's a great way to get in some protein and it tastes good too :)

luna~

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
yummy hummus

1 large (29 oz) can chickpeas
1/2-3/4 cup water
1/2 cup tahini
1/2 cup lemon juice
2-4 cloves garlic, to taste
dash of cumin
salt to taste
pinch of black pepper
fresh parsley, chopped
paprika
2 tsp olive oil

blend chickpeas, water, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, pepper, and salt in blender or food processor until smooth.

garnish with olive oil, paprika, and parsley.

i sometimes like to add roasted red pepper to this recipe :drool:

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP

PEANUT BROCCOLI NOODLES

1 lb. pasta
1/4 c. sesame oil
1/4 c. rice vinegar
1/4 c. soy sauce
�-1 tbsp. ground ginger
4 cloves garlic, chopped
~15 oz. frozen broccoli

Made this and am eating it now! Easy and very tasty!

gromit

likes this
Chickpea Edamame Salad

This is pure amazing, I swear. I don't know the quantities.

Ingredients:
  • Chickpeas
  • Edamame
  • Craisins
  • Diced carrots/red peppers/green peppers

Add, to taste:
  • Lemon juice or vinegar
  • Olive oil
  • Italian seasonings
  • Cumin powder
  • Salt and pepper

Also it satisfies my Four Ps of Vegetarian Cooking:

Poop: Does this food help me poop well (i.e. is it high in fiber - whole grains, fruits, veggies, etc.)?
Protein: Does the food give me significant protein?
Palate: Is it palatable, tasty; do I like eating it?
Pretty: Does it look nice - i.e. is it colorful (possess natural pigments, like in nutrient-rich foods)?

:workout:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
sounds delicious :yes:

the side dish to tonight's dinner is a meal of it's own in a way... :blush:

noodles and vegetables with spicy peanut sauce

1/2 lb whole wheat vermicelli or capellini, cooked and drained
1 1/2 c broccoli, cooked and drained
1/2 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 small cucumber, cut into matchsticks

mix together 1/4 c peanut butter
1/8 cup soy sauce
1 tbsp dark brown sugar
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp sesame seeds
2 tsp ginger
1 tbsp chopped garlic
crushed red pepper flakes to taste
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
sriracha to taste
1/8 c boiling water

mix sauce with noodles and vegetables :)

oh no!!! I just realized it's rather similar to burymecloser's recipe, though also somewhat different! :rofl1:

Joneswilliamsc

Well I would like to eat vegetarian only. I like to eat Indian Dhokla as well as Dhonsa. I don't know how to make it as well as I don't know its recipes. But my sister make it too much spicy. I always like to eat it made by my sister. But I never asked her how to make it.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
I like Paneer Tikka Masala with jasmine rice.

Copy-paste recipe:

* Boiled green peas ... 1/2 cup
* Tomatoes ... 5
* Coriander seeds ... 1 tablespoon
* Dry red chillies .. 2
* Chopped cabbage ... 1/2 cup
* Chopped green chillies ... 1 teaspoon
* Dry ginger powder ... 1/4 teaspoon
* Tomato sauce ... 1 tablespoon
* Dried fenugreek leaves ... 3 teaspoons
* Cornflour ... 1 teaspoon
* Milk ... 1/2 cup
* Chopped coriander ... 3 tablespoon
* Oil ... 4 tablespoon
* Salt to taste
* For the garnish, Chopped coriander ... 1/4 cup

Method of preparation :-

* Boil a vessel-full of water and immerse the tomatoes in it for one minute.
* Remove seeds of the tomatoes. Chop finely.
* Roast the coriander seeds and red chillies lightly and grind to a powder.
* Heat the oil in a pan, add cabbage and green chillies and sauté for some while.
* Add the tomatoes and dry ginger powder and fry till the oil separates from the mixture.
* Add the red chili-coriander powder, tomato sauce and dried fenugreek leaves and sauté.
* Mix the milk and cornflour together and add to the gravy. Mix well.
* Add the paneer tikkas and peas and heat for some time.
* Serve hot garnished with coriander.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
128680159571745484.jpg

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Easy Aloo Mattar

Tallulah, I'm glad it turned out well!

And whatever, if we both like that sort of recipe, I think that just speaks to it being good. :yes:

Who doesn't love easy-to-prepare Indian dishes?

ALOO MATTAR
(potato and peas)

rice for 2 people (1 c. uncooked in my house)
1 med onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
1 in. ginger, finely grated (~1/4 tsp ground)
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 c. veg stock
1 large potato, cubed
1 large tomato, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c. frozen peas
1 tbsp cilantro, minced

Cook the rice. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan: saute onions in oil over medium heat until translucent. Add ginger and paprika, saute 2 more min, stirring constantly. Add stock, potatoes, tomatoes, and salt. Stir until well-coated. Cover and cook for 10 min, stirring occasionally. Once the potatoes are cooked, stir in peas and cilantro. Remove from heat, let sit 5 minutes.

This requires very little prep, and the cooking is done in 20 minutes. I recommend cutting the potato pretty small or adding some cooking time; it was a little al dente the first time I made it. Either way, be sure to taste the potato before you serve it. This dish has plenty of flavor, but not much heat to speak of, so add some extra paprika or a little hot pepper if you like it spicy.

This can stand alone as a main course, or you can serve it alongside daal or channa masala for a more complete experience. :)

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP

And whatever, if we both like that sort of recipe, I think that just speaks to it being good. :yes:

ALOO MATTAR
(potato and peas)

2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 c. veg stock
1 large potato, cubed
1 large tomato, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c. frozen peas
1 tbsp cilantro, minced

Cook the rice. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan: saute onions in oil over medium heat until translucent. Add ginger and paprika, saute 2 more min, stirring constantly. Add stock, potatoes, tomatoes, and salt. Stir until well-coated. Cover and cook for 10 min, stirring occasionally. Once the potatoes are cooked, stir in peas and cilantro. Remove from heat, let sit 5 minutes.

This requires very little prep, and the cooking is done in 20 minutes. I recommend cutting the potato pretty small or adding some cooking time; it was a little al dente the first time I made it. Either way, be sure to taste the potato before you serve it. This dish has plenty of flavor, but not much heat to speak of, so add some extra paprika or a little hot pepper if you like it spicy.

This can stand alone as a main course, or you can serve it alongside daal or channa masala for a more complete experience. :)

Ooh! I am so going to make this.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp

ALOO MATTAR
(potato and peas)

2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 c. veg stock
1 large potato, cubed
1 large tomato, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c. frozen peas
1 tbsp cilantro, minced

I have most everything except the potatoes the peas and the tomatos and the onions and stock and cilantro

Curwhibble

MBTI Type
INFP
So many interesting recipes, will have to try a few out. Aloo Mattar is lush, might have to cook some up tonight.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm too lazy to think of the actual recipe now, but lentils make a pretty good veggie shepherd's pie.

Boil lentils until cooked, while frying chopped carrots/celery/whatever vegetables you like, spice both appropriately (I like curry spice and cumin and similar things), you could add tofu if you wanted but I don't, add frozen corn to the mix if you like, spread in a pan, add mashed potatoes (I prefer instant only for this) and I like to put some grated cheese and perhaps some herbs on top! Bake until the cheese is melted, or really as long as you like, or not at all.

this could in theory also be used in combination with meat shepherd's pie, if you don't like eating that much hamburger at once, though I've never done that.

delicious :drool: