• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cooking Fish in a Dishwasher

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
I tried this method tonight. It works a treat. Utterly foolproof.

Needs:

* salmon fillets
* aluminum foil
* a lemon
* a few butter pats
* electric dishwasher

Place the fish on two large sheets of aluminum foil. Squeeze on some lemon juice and place the pats of butter on the salmon fillets. Seal the fillets well in the foil, and place the foil packet in the top wire basket of your electric dishwasher. DO NOT ADD SOAP OR DETERGENT. Close the dishwasher door, set the dishwasher on the hottest wash cycle, complete with drying cycle, and let it run through a full cycle. When the cycle is complete the fish will be cooked just right.

Sauce: http://www.thesalmons.org/lynn/dishwasher.html Dill

Fecal McAngry

Needs:

* salmon fillets
* aluminum foil
* a lemon
* a few butter pats
* electric dishwasher

Place the fish on two large sheets of aluminum foil. Squeeze on some lemon juice and place the pats of butter on the salmon fillets. Seal the fillets well in the foil, and place the foil packet in the top wire basket of your electric dishwasher. DO NOT ADD SOAP OR DETERGENT. Close the dishwasher door, set the dishwasher on the hottest wash cycle, complete with drying cycle, and let it run through a full cycle. When the cycle is complete the fish will be cooked just right.

You might prefer a https://www.sousvidesupreme.com/

Sous Vide Supreme | The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Needs:

* salmon fillets
* aluminum foil
* a lemon
* a few butter pats
* electric dishwasher

You *do* realize that you squander a hell of a lot of resources for an ineffective way of cooking, right?

Still, it was an interesting experiment, I'll give you that.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Banana, dude, when I saw the title of this thread I seriously thought it was someone's new blog. Ha ha...you actually cooked fish in a dishwasher!

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Banana, dude, when I saw the title of this thread I seriously thought it was someone's new blog. Ha ha...you actually cooked fish in a dishwasher!

Yuo can also cook fish if wrapped in heavy foil + buttered + seasoned, and place it ontop of the motor of your car, and then take a long drive through the country, I forget how long, maybe 45 minutes, it was in Maxim magazine years ago. :cheese:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yuo can also cook fish if wrapped in heavy foil + buttered + seasoned, and place it ontop of the motor of your car, and then take a long drive through the country, I forget how long, maybe 45 minutes, it was in Maxim magazine years ago. :cheese:

If you did that, wouldn't there be traces of neuro-toxins in the fish? :shock:

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If you did that, wouldn't there be traces of neuro-toxins in the fish? :shock:

No, just engine grease and hydrocarbon residue! :laugh:

I think if you wrapeed the hell out of it in heavy foil it would be OK. Fine in emergency circumstances only, considering the abundance of drive-thrus in thsi nation. ;)

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
I guess I could see it. I once ate a slice of an apple that was cooked under a pile of compost (wrapped thoroughly in foil and plastic wrap). Tasted fine.

I could really go for a baked apple right now actually...

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
my uncle has cooked fish like that on his motorcycle while on a guys trip around wisconsin- said that it turned out quite delicious :)

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
You *do* realize that you squander a hell of a lot of resources for an ineffective way of cooking, right?

Still, it was an interesting experiment, I'll give you that.

A good point... You can only imagine how guilty I felt while tucking into the fillets, with a nice dill sauce.

However, your view is myopic. A sealed unit such as a dishwasher is actually a fairly efficient way to cook. The washer is a A-Rated Bosch with all sorts of enegy efficiency guarantees provided by the German manufacturer.

Energy consumption would be limited to steam generation and any moving parts (predominantly the internal fan). Even the volume of water used is very low.

A quick search comparing efficiencies of steam vs. conventional:
Federal Energy Management Program: FEMP Designated Product: Commercial Steam Cookers

But, you're correct - raw carrots and a microwaved potato is probably less carbon consumptive than a dishwasher.