• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

My cat is too fat

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
My cat is too fat. According to our vet she needs to weigh 4 kilograms and at the moment she weighs 5,3 kilograms. Way too much for a kitty. Our vet wants us to put our cat (Patsy) on a diet. When my parents were on their holiday in May, I was able to make my cat lose some weight with that diet, but unfortunately my parents kind of stopped that diet when they arrived back home. We can't let Patsy play outside, because our neighbours hate cats and they'll probably poison her. My parents have a weak spot for Patsy's mewing so every single time she mews my parent's give her food and believe me, she does it all day long. Our vet gave us a toy, which Patsy should be playing with, but unfortunately Patsy is afraid of it. When I tell my parents that they shouldn't feed Patsy that much, they don't seem to listen. She's getting fatter and fatter and no one seems to be able to (or wanting to) put a stop to it. I don't want Patsy to get diabetes!

Does anyone else have any idea what I could do to make my cat lose weight? She's already getting diet food, so that's not an option.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
My cat is too fat. According to our vet she needs to weigh 4 kilograms and at the moment she weighs 5,3 kilograms. Way too much for a kitty. Our vet wants us to put our cat (Patsy) on a diet. When my parents were on their holiday in May, I was able to make my cat lose some weight with that diet, but unfortunately my parents kind of stopped that diet when they arrived back home. We can't let Patsy play outside, because our neighbours hate cats and they'll probably poison her. My parents have a weak spot for Patsy's mewing so every single time she mews my parent's give her food and believe me, she does it all day long. Our vet gave us a toy, which Patsy should be playing with, but unfortunately Patsy is afraid of it. When I tell my parents that they shouldn't feed Patsy that much, they don't seem to listen. She's getting fatter and fatter and no one seems to be able to (or wanting to) put a stop to it. I don't want Patsy to get diabetes!

Does anyone else have any idea what I could do to make my cat lose weight? She's already getting diet food, so that's not an option.

Laser pointer. Let her chase it around till she flops over exhausted. More exercise will help.

She must be a small cat. I don't really think 5 kg is all that large. Most of the cats who have adopted me have been between 7 and 14 kg, even the females.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
Laser pointer. Let her chase it around till she flops over exhausted. More exercise will help.

She must be a small cat. I don't really think 5 kg is all that large. Most of the cats who have adopted me have been between 7 and 14 kg, even the females.

I tried that quite often, but most of the time my father got angry about it so I kind of had to stop.

She is pretty large, actually. She's just as large as a baby.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
I tried that quite often, but most of the time my father got angry about it so I kind of had to stop.

She is pretty large, actually. She's just as large as a baby.

Your father got angry, because you were playing with the cat? :huh:

That sounds like psychological issues to me.

My cat Sterling could have eaten a baby for a snack. He was better than 14 kg. :)

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
If your cat is a glutton and can get food whenever she wants via begging to your parents, she won't lose weight.

Either deal with your parents or resign yourself to the situation.

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Your kitty is not going to lose weight until your parents get it through their thick skulls that they are going to kill her with love.

Cats are notorious moochers. The fact that they're meowing doesn't necessarily mean they're hungry. Your cat could just be bored and mooching for snacks because there's nothing better to do since nobody is playing with her.

Laser pointer, definitely. If your dad gets angry again ask him how comfortable he is with the idea of having Jabba the Catt as the family pet.

362566545_8262301dfa.jpg

3295668362_64ea455144_o.jpg

jabba-the-cat.jpg

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
I think I have to get my parents to move away and raise the cat myself.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Leave the cat outside, force it to find it's own food.

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They just don't like cats.

Well dude, there's a difference between not liking cats and actively trying to kill them every chance. That's a bit more homicidal than simple dislike. o_o

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I don't know what your cat eats, but every BIG cat I've known has gotten daily canned food. You should stop this. Leave a big bowl of dry food for her to graze on. Also: catnip. If she likes it, it's a nice non-food pleasure.
Find toys she likes and play with her (I know you alreasy know this)

I had a cat that was really skinny, so much so that I thought he might have had a thyroid problem, but the vet said he was perfect. Cats should be on the skinny side...

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Make sure you are giving the cat dry food... wet food is like fast food for kitties. :yes:

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you have space in your room, play with her every night. Here is something my cat loves:

1. Spread newspapers or pages torn out from magazines over the floor, slightly overlapping.
2. Set up some empty cardboard boxes of different heights.
3. Put plastic bags or crumply paper in the boxes.
4. Sprinkle everything with catnip.
5. Get a Kitty Tease ktwebjg or make yourself a reasonable facsimile of one (basically a stick with a long string attached and some kind of thing the cat can bite at the end of the string).
6. Throw whatever is on the end of your line into the cardboard boxes or the paper bags and jiggle it so there is a rustling sound. Let the cat pounce and sliiiiide on the paper, then run and slide again.

My fat kitty loves this and she will play until she's panting and keeps running to the water dish.

Another thing she loves are those pompoms with catnip on them. She plays with those by herself and gets some exercise.

bcvcdc

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTx
surprise, my cat is too fat too! she also talks to me and tells me that the dogs in the neighborhood won't leave her alone. they hide behind things and watch her and bark out stupid things to her when she's only trying to get a little bit of peace and quiet. So, the other day she told me she's just going to go ahead and get fatter and fatter and do what she feels would make those stupid dogs so repulsed that they have no choice but to LEAVE HER THE FUCK ALONE!

Good kitty, i told her. Maybe they'll LEARN THEIR FUCKING LESSON!

LEGERdeMAIN

surprise, my cat is too fat too! she also talks to me and tells me that the dogs in the neighborhood won't leave her alone. they hide behind things and watch her and bark out stupid things to her when she's only trying to get a little bit of peace and quiet. So, the other day she told me she's just going to go ahead and get fatter and fatter and do what she feels would make those stupid dogs so repulsed that they have no choice but to LEAVE HER THE FUCK ALONE!

Good kitty, i told her. Maybe they'll LEARN THEIR FUCKING LESSON!

Haha, wtf?

OH, the cats. Yes, exercise is great. Maybe you can adopt a second cat so that your fat cat will have another non-human, living creature to play/fight with. A fighting cat is a skinny cat.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Some cats are just meant to be fat and lazy, like Garfield.

evilrobot

MBTI Type
nite
Enneagram
5w4
Here I am posting on a thread about fat cats. This is what I’ve come to.

The problem with cats (dogs too for that matter) is if you feed them the right amount, they’re always hungry – or acting hungry. Still, in the long run they’re happier and healthier if you feed them the proper amount consistently. Stick to dry food and limit or omit junk/canned food and table scraps; best to keep your cat out of the kitchen when you’re eating your own meals.