• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

save the environment - kill yourself

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am serious. That's the only solution, right? Just by breathing we create a carbon footprint. Doesn't that make you feel guilty for existing? Or am I the only one?

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
The *only* solution?

:huh:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the plants use the carbon dioxide we exhale?

And, define environment, please.

Isn't the environment the entire collection of biotic and abiotic constituents/factors?

We are both a product of, and active participant of this environment.

To kill oneself in order to "save" the environment is, perhaps, the lowest and must useless kind of martyrdom.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Let the environment do it's job and you do yours.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I am serious. That's the only solution, right? Just by breathing we create a carbon footprint. Doesn't that make you feel guilty for existing? Or am I the only one?

If you're serious, and feel guilty, then plant trees to offset green house gases. Erase your carbon footprint.

But, you're not going to do any of that shit.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What's the environment's job, and, more importantly, what's our job?
We may only come to different ideas and understanding about the purpose in life (of all living organisms) and indeed the best healing may be not to interfere with their lives.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
We may only come to different ideas and understanding about the purpose in life (of all living organisms) and indeed the best healing may be not to interfere with their lives.
But when is it appropriate, or even necessary to intervene?

There are times when we must take action in order to change the natural course of things.

This may sound very unzen but, I dunno, to be too zen is to be apathetic.

Sometimes we need to willfully change things.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The *only* solution?

:huh:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the plants use the carbon dioxide we exhale?
Yes, but there obviously aren't enough plants to negate our harmful effects.

And, define environment, please.

Isn't the environment the entire collection of biotic and abiotic constituents/factors?
I'm talking about the natural environment.

We are both a product of, and active participant of this environment.
I believe humans have taken enough drastic measures to isolate themselves from the natural cycle of life. Our "active participation" is only negative.

To kill oneself in order to "save" the environment is, perhaps, the lowest and must useless kind of martyrdom.
Lowest? No. Most useless? Maybe.

If you're serious, and feel guilty, then plant trees to offset green house gases. Erase your carbon footprint.

But, you're not going to do any of that shit.
Yeah, I know. I might do a little and then lose motivation over time and stop.

what do we owe the environment?
Your life, that's what you owe it. You can't survive without it.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
But when is it appropriate, or even necessary to intervene?

There are times when we must take action in order to change the natural course of things.

This may sound very unzen but, I dunno, to be too zen is to be apathetic.

Sometimes we need to willfully change things.
Why would we need to? To live in harmony with our environment is to leave the environment. As we start to interfere we can only make it worse.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Don't worry about it. our numbers are going down, one disaster at a time.

Personally, I'm going to drink a mighty big Manhattan tonight and think about what job I'll do in the coming feudal society. I wanna be a blacksmith!

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Also, people, it's not the environment that needs saving, for it's own sake. The earth will be here long after humans are here. Environmental conservation is for our own selfish sake, not necessarily the earth's.

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
MY tongue was pressed firmly against my cheek. I thought it would be obvious, but there are always a few...

I know far too many doomsday fans who would agree with any "mankind is dying out" assertion most energetically. I'm quick to refute them.

I'd normally be apologetic here but you had to throw out the STFU... feel free to take your own advice.

Tantive

MBTI Type
INFP
pfff, what a boring solution. Simply plant more trees and plants that don't get cut, in surplus to your own carbon emissions.