• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

save the environment - kill yourself

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We should rather kill ourselves instead of using our lives productively and reduce or reverse the effects we have caused?

That's a really lazy solution.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
This sounds like painfully boring, hippie nonsense.
Squelch your guilt. Either abandon whatever you need to abandon to redeem yourself for your part, or swallow your guilty feelings right back down as you utilize being human and man-made things.

A lot of the time, feeling guilty just wastes your own time and energy.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Also, people, it's not the environment that needs saving, for it's own sake. The earth will be here long after humans are here. Environmental conservation is for our own selfish sake, not necessarily the earth's.
That's true, but what about those adorable gun-toting pandas? Why do they have to pay for our errors?

I realize that the general consensus is that killing yourself would be a lazy, cowardly option, but I blame that on the negative conotations and biases that are already associated with suicide. The point of the matter is, killing ourselves would be more beneficial than using our lives productively to try and reduce or reverse the effects we have caused.

Oh. "As well as energy, photosynthesis is also the source of the carbon in all the organic compounds within organisms' bodies. In all, photosynthetic organisms convert around 100,000,000,000 tonnes of carbon into biomass per year." Indeed, that is good to read.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I am agreeing that to save the environment for its own sake is pretty dumb. The environment doesn't care what happens to it. People care because they have to live off of it.

Go ahead and kill yourself, though.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am agreeing that to save the environment for its own sake is pretty dumb. The environment doesn't care what happens to it. People care because they have to live off of it.

Go ahead and kill yourself, though.
I can't. As despicable as it is, I lack the strength of character.

I am not actively trying to encourage people to kill themselves for the environment. That's none of my business, and it would be beyond hypocritical, considering my above statement. I was voicing my concerns and guilt, and what seemed to me to be the conclusion, based solely on emotions.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I can't. As despicable as it is, I lack the strength of character.

I am not actively trying to encourage people to kill themselves for the environment. That's none of my business, and it would be beyond hypocritical, considering my above statement. I was voicing my concerns and guilt, and what seemed to me to be the conclusion, based solely on emotions.

I mean, if you believe in tikun olam, killing yourself is generally discouraged. You can do more to improve the lives around you and those of future generations alive than dead.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Tikun olam - repairing the world? I don't know what I believe in. I suppose, if the lives of the humans around me, the people, matter the most... It would make sense, I mean, what you're saying. But how do I know what is most important?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Tikun olam - repairing the world? I don't know what I believe in. I suppose, if the lives of the humans around me, the people, matter the most... It would make sense, I mean, what you're saying. But how do I know what is most important?

I dunno, you've got to figure that out for yourself.

Either that, or pick a religion. Put them all on a corkboard and throw a dart. That should get yourself started.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That's not fair. You can't tell me I've come to the wrong conclusion one second and then say I've got to figure it out for myself the next. Don't you see how screwed up that is?

Oh no, religion is not for me.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
That's not fair. You can't tell me I've come to the wrong conclusion one second and then say I've got to figure it out for myself the next. Don't you see how screwed up that is?

Oh no, religion is not for me.

Well, you're obviously not going to kill yourself, I was trying to explain why that was okay...probably. So now that you're not going to kill yourself, you've got to decide what to do.

And when it comes to religion, why not? It's remarkably stabilizing for many.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Believe it or not, that's really big... I mean, that whole "what do I do with my life, since I'm alive?" thing. And why not religion? Well, you just said it. I have to decide for myself. I don't want other people telling me what to think. And truth be told, I don't belive in god(s).

P.S. - Probably okay isn't good enough. It has to be 100% okay. Now you've heightened my sense of doubt. Please fix that.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Believe it or not, that's really big... I mean, that whole "what do I do with my life, since I'm alive?" thing. And why not religion? Well, you just said it. I have to decide for myself. I don't want other people telling me what to think. And truth be told, I don't belive in god(s).

P.S. - Probably okay isn't good enough. It has to be 100% okay. Now you've heightened my sense of doubt. Please fix that.

Hey, there's no rush, you've got your whole life to decide. Certainty is pretty impossible, you're asking me for a miracle, and I'm no god.

Religion might help if you're not dealing with people forcing it upon you. And there are plenty of religions that don't have god(s) in the normal sense of the word.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've always been under the impression that religions are for weak, lost people (kind of like me). I don't want to pray to a god because I can't make my own dreams come true. That seems so desperate.

Prototype

THREADKILLER
MBTI Type
Why?
I am serious. That's the only solution, right? Just by breathing we create a carbon footprint. Doesn't that make you feel guilty for existing? Or am I the only one?

IMO, I think the planet is doing a fine job of killing us off on it's own, unintentionally, of course. What ever energy our planet dishes out after it converts the Suns energy, every eukaryote organism converts that new energy(resulting in Cancer?, Other diseases?, and so on.)into carbon, to feed the planet in order for it to continue the cycle. Without these said organisms, the Three-domain system would likely collapse due to overcompensation, and end up killing the planet... I imagine that within the next billion years or so earth will have become a carbon copy of what Venus is today...
/ end rant...

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I've always been under the impression that religions are for weak, lost people (kind of like me). I don't want to pray to a god because I can't make my own dreams come true. That seems so desperate.

To believe that a god will do everything for you is kind of beside the point.

God helps those who help themselves? Or maybe. Well, it wouldn't hurt to study. Or you can look into philosophy, it's a close second. Whatever. What is probably best is for you to confront the issue head on rather than hiding behind your guilt.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
IMO, I think the planet is doing a fine job of killing us off on it's own, unintentionally, of course. What ever energy our planet dishes out, every eukaryote organism converts that energy into carbon, to feed the planet in order for it to continue the cycle. Without these said organisms, the Three-domain system would likely collapse due to overcompensation, and end up killing the planet... I imagine that within the next billion years or so earth will have become a carbon copy of what Venus is today...
/ end rant...
So you're saying plants and animals and fungus and all that convert energy into carbon, which is then taken in and converted into oxygen by bacteria and whatnot. And right, one domain couldn't exist without the others.

Forgive me, but I haven't been gifted with scientific capabilities or intelligence. How is the planet doing a fine job of killing us off on its own?

To believe that a god will do everything for you is kind of beside the point.

God helps those who help themselves? Or maybe. Well, it wouldn't hurt to study. Or you can look into philosophy, it's a close second. Whatever. What is probably best is for you to confront the issue head on rather than hiding behind your guilt.
Philosophy does interest me. Although I'm going to assume you don't mean philosphies like nihilism? And yeah, I know. Guilt is selfish and bad. That just makes me feel more guilty.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Philosophy does interest me. Although I'm going to assume you don't mean philosphies like nihilism? And yeah, I know. Guilt is selfish and bad. That just makes me feel more guilty.

I guess not. Try not to get too down on yourself, otherwise they might lock you away.

I wish you good luck.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh, they already have.

Sincerely, thank you. I am not easy to talk to. Your advice is appreciated beyond belief, and will be deeply considered.

Prototype

THREADKILLER
MBTI Type
Why?
How is the planet doing a fine job of killing us off on its own?

Hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanoes, the energy we consume(filter, break down, etc), planetary rotation induced psychosis,...:D Pick your poison, I'm sure the list goes on.