• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Weird Meat Thread

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
- Squid (Never again. The smell is horrible, and it's like eating rubber)

It depends. It may only look like rubber if you cook it alone, or in a sushi.

Squids can be rather tasteful when you combine them with a strong textured flavor.
For instance, you will find them in traditional paellas, Spanish tapas, in Galician cuisine (pulpo a la Gallega) or with the famous Risotto al nero (a delicacy from Venice).

In southern France, you have several wonderful recipes of Encornet farcis (à la sétoise, for instance).

According to my opinion, what you should absolutely avoid are the Calamares a la Romana (Fried dough of calamar rings), which indeed are tasteless and oily, even when you season them with lemon juice.

S

Sniffles

Squid is very good, but I have to be careful when reading it or else my stomach will get upset.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Squid is very good, but I have to be careful when reading it or else my stomach will get upset.

Why, you awful catholic weapon-loving romantic reactionary? :)

(But I have to admit it's true that generally speaking, cuisine from Catholic countries do taste better than Protestant or Orthodox ones, with a few exceptions though)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Escargots-de-Bourgogne1.jpg

Yes, land snails (namely Helix pomatia, aspersa and leucorum, if I remember well) with parsley, garlic and butter...

And lots of marine gastropods too (whelks, winkles, limpets... anything that is vaguely palatable)...

I like escargot. It's one of the few strange meats that I've tried that I actually enjoy.

I didn't particularly care for fried alligator or frog legs. Nothing there that made me want to come back. I don't especially have a taste for deer, either.

I'm a huge fan of sushi and calimari - but everyone eats that nowdays. I really like those big, orange salty salmon roe too. I love raw oysters.

Violence, dude, I can't believe you ate dog.

_Violence_

oxtail soup (a Korean delicacy).
deer
I've heard that some people cod sperm and chilled cow blood for dessert.

Ah, yes! I have this once in a while with my Korean flatmate, it is pretty delicious as well. I especially like the soft-bones (I think they would be called cartilage?) part.

And for Mongolian style hot pot mix, there is chilled cow blood yes. However it is cooked.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Violence, dude, I can't believe you ate dog.

Actually, dog meat tastes very good, that's surprising.
No wonder it's a popular meat, especially in Korea (where you can also find cans of "dog's juice" in every supermarket).

But in Korea, they have sometimes the controversial habit to torture the animal, because extreme pain is supposed to tenderize the flesh. This is a tradition I would not give support to, and hence, I try to avoid Korean dog meat whenever possible.

Like with whale, this is my limit. It's not exactly a culinary taboo, it's rather a deliberate choice.

I would not eat the flesh of an endangered specie, especially if it is also known for its high cognitive abilities.

And while speaking of cognitive abilities and ethology, some species of squids are supposed to be at least as intelligent as dogs. This is why octopus flesh usually contains very high level of cholesterol: it's not fat, it's their voluminous brain and neurons that are disseminated into several parts of their body (rather than being centralized, like in vertebrates).

---

As an environmental activist, I would recommanded to eat insects more often. My opinion is not only based on the fact that insects are very common and a cheap source of proteins, it's rather that they probably represent the healthiest possible source of proteins we know. They are easy to digest, and perfectly balanced with every vitamin, mineral and omega acid (unlike beef, lamb, pork or chicken). That's where you see men probably had a long line of insectivorous ancestors, because our intestinal tract is perfectly suited to their consumption: it's a biological fact.

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
But in Korea, they have sometimes the controversial habit to torture the animal, because extreme pain is supposed to tenderize the flesh. This is a tradition I would not give support to, and hence, I try to avoid Korean dog meat whenever possible.

Actually, dog meat is not sold in ordinary supermarkets in Korea and dogs are not "beaten to death" like they used to be. It is technically "illegal" to sell dog meat in Korea. Although some Korean restaurants do at risk of losing their restaurant licenses. You couldn't "buy" Korean dog meat anyways since it is not classifed as "livestock" by the Korean government, so it is illegal to trade it overseas or domestically. Of course, I am sure it still happens to some degree. Because it is not classified as "livestock" by the Korean government, it is not able to be regulated and it is in a grey area. Efforts to classify it previously as "livestock" in the past was met with resistance with animal rights groups, so it is not a regulated industry.

Whoever fed you that misinformation about dogs being beaten and dog meat being sold in supermarkets isn't exactly doing a service to anybody by spreading false information. I don't personally think it is morally wrong to eat a dog. I think its morally wrong to only care about cute animals.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Actually, dog meat is not sold in ordinary supermarkets in Korea and dogs are not "beaten to death" like they used to be. It is technically "illegal" to sell dog meat in Korea. Although some Korean restaurants do at risk of losing their restaurant licenses. You couldn't "buy" Korean dog meat anyways since it is not classifed as "livestock" by the Korean government, so it is illegal to trade it overseas or domestically.

Whoever fed you that misinformation isn't exactly doing a service to anybody by spreading false information.

Well that's good news, then. :)

(But between me and you, finding dog meat in Seoul was extremely easy, although it's been at least ten years since I've been there)

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
Well that's good news, then. :)

(But between me and you, finding dog meat in Seoul was extremely easy, although it's been at least ten years since I've been there)

Yeah, Im sure its not hard to find a dog meat restaurant in a backalley part of Seoul if you tried, but its not as easy as it used to be 20 or so years ago. The younger generation is against it for the most part. There was a huge campaign against it right before the 2002 World Cup.

I would actually want to try it at least once if it was in front of me. But I don't really get an urge to look for it... I would imagine it is one of those meats that smells bad, but tastes good. I have no idea though. I thought eating elk would be like a crazy experience, but it just tasted like beef.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I saw a documentary called "The Cove," that indicated most of the whale meat sold is actually dolphin, and has an atrociously high mercury content.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I love buffalo - like beef but leaner and buffalo ribs make you feel like Fred Flinstone.

Moose is pretty alright, but it depends what they've been eating lately. It also is beef like, but so lean, it's hard to make gravy with a roast. Cut in strips and fried with lard and onions is tastiest.

Caribou was not tasty to me. It's a little springy chewy like fatty meat, even though it's pretty lean.

Deer is only good if you don't know what moose tastes like or if you don't have other sources of meat. It's pretty gamey.

Elk is good.

Escargot - I had it in mushroom caps and it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be.

Seal flipper pie - Didn't love it.

Terr (a sea bird) - Pretty fish oily tasting, but Newfoundlanders think it's the cat's whiskers.

Cod or pickerel cheeks - Very tasty.

Battered cod tongue - Okay, but I wouldn't go for seconds.

Whole stuffed squid (stuffed with dressingish stuff) - I didn't like it, but many do.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I grew up in Texas so we ate beef or pork at every meal. Now I try to feed leaner meats to my family (my husband's cholesterol is naturally high), and he loves to hunt, so our primary meat is venison. I've gotten to really love it. I grind it or pan fry it, and I enjoy it so much that when we have occasion to eat beef, we can really taste the saturated fat in it.

I find grouse to be tough, although I will shred it in a gumbo.

I have had mountain lion and find that it tastes a bit like pork chop. But I have a slight repulsion to eating it.

That goes too for eating my own fowl.

We only eat meat with dinner about twice a week.

Sarcasticus

Circus Maximus
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Being from South Louisiana there aren't too many things I haven't tried... possum... squirrel... nutria... alligator... pigeon... if it crawls swims or flies, I've probably eaten it.

But dog? I'd probably draw the line at eating Fido.

It's not exactly weird anymore because it's available generally everywhere but I really prefer bison to cow. In fact I just got finished making a batch of bison chili. Good on a cold weather day like today.

countrygirl

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I love buffalo - like beef but leaner and buffalo ribs make you feel like Fred Flinstone.

Moose is pretty alright, but it depends what they've been eating lately. It also is beef like, but so lean, it's hard to make gravy with a roast. Cut in strips and fried with lard and onions is tastiest.
Caribou was not tasty to me. It's a little springy chewy like fatty meat, even though it's pretty lean.

Deer is only good if you don't know what moose tastes like or if you don't have other sources of meat. It's pretty gamey.

Elk is good.

Escargot - I had it in mushroom caps and it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be.

Seal flipper pie - Didn't love it.

Terr (a sea bird) - Pretty fish oily tasting, but Newfoundlanders think it's the cat's whiskers.

Cod or pickerel cheeks - Very tasty.

Battered cod tongue - Okay, but I wouldn't go for seconds.

Whole stuffed squid (stuffed with dressingish stuff) - I didn't like it, but many do.

My late grandfather's girlfriend use to fry the moose steak in bear fat. Delicious!

I had an opportunity to try beaver. Very stringy and tough. Not my favourite.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Oh yeah! I've tried beaver and muskrat but would not recommend either!

Sarcasticus, what's nutria?

theadoor

*hmmms*
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
8w9
I'm pretty conservative. I've tried only beef, pork, chicken, turkey, goose, lamb (yuck!), deer (yuck!), pigeon, duck and bunny. I prefer birds' meat the best. Especially the duck.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh. Just remembered I ate pig's cheek (yum) and tongue at a pig roast. Tasted like liver.

My friend wanted to eat the eye - no thanks on that.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
Img_4102sm.jpg

Indigenous to South America. Brought to N.A. for their fur I believe. Got loose, and breed like rabbits.

I can't remember if they are the 2nd or 3rd largest rodent. Capybara is the largest.