• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Weird Meat Thread

_Violence_

I never had land snails.

Only sea snails. Which are steamed and dipped in a type of spicy sauce (kinda like wasabi? but is yellow)

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Escargots-de-Bourgogne1.jpg

Yes, land snails (namely Helix pomatia, aspersa and leucorum, if I remember well) with parsley, garlic and butter...

And lots of maritime gastropods too (whalks, winkles, limpets... anything that is vaguely palatable)...
Wow, I wouldn't have the guts to even hold it. From what I head it's very delicious and I'm sure it is especially with added garlic but the slimy sensation while sucking the shell would bring chills down my spine. How big do they come?

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8

sculpting

Our local grocery store is in an area with a large asian population.

In the grocery store there are lots of diverse meat offerings. One of them was this very long piece of muscle tissue wrapped in a loop. It was called "pizzle".

The internet informed me that is was bull penis. Given the price- $2.99-I have decided that when I finally get reallu pissed at my coworkers I will actually attend the company potluck and offer up several pizzle based items.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Escargots-de-Bourgogne1.jpg

Yes, land snails (namely Helix pomatia, aspersa and leucorum, if I remember well) with parsley, garlic and butter...

And lots of marine gastropods too (whelks, winkles, limpets... anything that is vaguely palatable)...

The parsley, butter and garlic kind of override the taste of the snail. I don't remember much of their taste rather the texture.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
The parsley, butter and garlic kind of override the taste of the snail. I don't remember much of their taste rather the texture.

Since they are roasted into their own shell, garlic helps enhancing a very meaty yet bland texture, while green butter allows it to melt in the mouth.
I'd say a lot of land snails would taste like bitter mushrooms (like Russulas, for instance R. cyanoxantha or R. virescens), and hence, they are cooked exactly the same way.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
this is a little off topic but when i read the op i had to post this pic. a neighbor brought this over for us to eat when our youngest child was born. its a tradition in the south to bring dinner over for certain occasions. it's a heart shaped meatloaf with ketchup squirted on top. needless to say we didn't eat it. :sick:

P1010057.jpg

_Violence_

this is a little off topic but when i read the op i had to post this pic. a neighbor brought this over for us to eat when our youngest child was born. its a tradition in the south to bring dinner over for certain occasions. it's a heart shaped meatloaf with ketchup squirted on top. needless to say we didn't eat it. :sick:

P1010057.jpg

WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT.

Seriously I want to vomit.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Our local grocery store is in an area with a large asian population.

In the grocery store there are lots of diverse meat offerings. One of them was this very long piece of muscle tissue wrapped in a loop. It was called "pizzle".

The internet informed me that is was bull penis. Given the price- $2.99-I have decided that when I finally get reallu pissed at my coworkers I will actually attend the company potluck and offer up several pizzle based items.

This is hilarious!!! Disgusting, but hilarious. I can think of one person that I'd like to make some pizzle appetizers for right now....

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Anyway. I realize that I didn't answer to this thread...

One thing I can say for sure, is that Chinese and French people have a lot in common when we refer to cuisine: we both have absolutely no eating taboo, while enjoying a very epicurian tradition of high cuisine.

The truth is we could discuss about food for hours, but I fear we might then scare away people from other cultures... :blush:

To my greatest surprise, my favorite meat hasn't been mentioned yet. It is duck, and goose. It's rather common in France, you would eventually find some in every supermarket.

Other common, non exotic meats include beef, pork, lamb, veal, chicken, turkey, guinea fowl, rabbit, land snail, froglegs, crayfish, quail, pidgeon, and so on, and so on. And many of our most popular recipes are made with offals or giblets: rognons (kidneys), andouillette et tripes (intestines), os à moëlle (spinal chord), pied de porc (pork's feet), and even liver (foie gras, foie poellé), tongue (paté de tête) and brains.

And so on, and so on...

More uncommon, you may find ostrich, wild boar (actually, we have several traditional recipes made with wild boar meat only), deer, bighorn sheep... etc...

I should also mention countless species of fishes (salmon, trout, char, hallibut, cod, john dory, kipper, anchovy, tuna, dogfish, skate, conger, pike, eel, whitebait, ruffe, zander, carp, sturgeon, lamprey, turbot, monkfish, mullet, goatfish, sole, seabass... etc...), snails (I did not mention clams, cockles, mussels, scallops, oysters, abalones which are all heavily collected), crustaceans (crabs, lobsters, shrimps, barnacles, scampi) and several other delicacies (octopus, squids, sea urchin for instance).

While I was working in China, I've also tried many other meats. Some were really tasty (dog, snake, tortoise, water scorpions), some others were more curious than really interesting (sea cucumber, camel's feet)...

In Africa, I've also eaten boiled caterpillars in peanut beer, fried locusts, raw beetle's larvae (actually, they taste VERY good), monkeys, and various games (Kudu mostly, but also several antelopes).
In northern Finland, I've made orgies of reindeer BBQ (they call it Poro, if I remember well). While still in Scandinavia, I've even survived to the Swedish surströmming (rather good, in fact).
In Australia I've sampled the (in)famous Kangaroo stew, and well, it wasn't my best memory. :rolleyes:

The only meat I politely declined was whale, mainly for political reasons rather than culinary ones.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
- Squid (Never again. The smell is horrible, and it's like eating rubber)
- Shark (I don't like shark soup.)
- Snails (pretty ordinary)
- Moose (better than beef)
- Reindeer (not too good, but people here seems to like it)
- Wild boar (BEST in the whole world.)
- Partridge (Bird. It was OK.)

Probably some more... No aligators or dogs, though :D

wren

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
this thread creates within me the desire to swear off all meat once and for all

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I had a friend who had eaten cooked cockroach before.

G

Glycerine

oxtail soup (a Korean delicacy).
deer
I've heard that some people cod sperm and chilled cow blood for dessert.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Haggis was very delicious the one time I tried it.

It can be.

But real traditional Haggis are made with finely chopped Sheep's lungs and liver -and sometimes even the kidneys-, so you have to get used to the rather earthy smell of it (the taste is far better, especially with a freshly grated nutmeg and when the onions have been slightly caramelised).