• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The heavenly nectar that is coffee...

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Now I've read things about how you should prepare the cup for coffee and the temperature of the water etc etc but one thing no one seems set on is milk first or second?

Now I mainly speak of the much maligned instant coffee here but the same works for "real" coffee too. Many seem unaware of the phenomena related to actually mixing coffee so I thought that this'd be a good place to go through some of it and see what you guys think.

Now firstly I've always used hot water. I mean just off the boil water. WE have a lot of tea drinkers around our house (well it is England after all) and I use the water pretty much straight after having poured theirs (unless I'm using the coffee machine thingy which uses water at some undefined temperature which I'm not going to measure unless it's vital). I've seen some people use it whilst it's boiling!! This is blasphemy and can often ruin a good cuppa.

Personally I put the milk in last. Some oddballs like to put it in first and this is where the main discrepancy lies because it seems that most people don't even know it changes the taste unless they try it "upside-down". Put milk in first and often you'll get a more milky taste to it, possibly because I find it more difficult to judge and presume that other's find it similarly difficult.

Another problem I find with other's making coffee is they treat it like tea. One or two swishes round with a spoon and they think that it's stirred. This ruins the reputation of instant coffee and can mess up a "real" cup of coffee somewhat too. Basically the more you stir instant coffee, the smoother cuppa you'll get.

So what's your little niggles and which way around do you do the milk?
Are there any authorities?

Oh and yes I totally expect a downpour of "real" coffee drinkers spitting etc but to them I say this, it take me about 30 seconds to make one cup. No filters, no mess, no having to make a pot for one cup. It's called convenience.

(Pre emptive strikes are fun :) )

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
The milk goes in first, you bloody barbarian. :thelook:

Putting the water in first is a great way to scald your coffee and ruin the flavour. If you like scalded coffee then put the water in first. And then bugger off and eat furniture or whatever it is you scalded-coffee aficionados do when you aren't ruining coffee.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
You use water hot enough to scold coffee????

What are you using? A fricking steam jet from a turbine?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I always do coffee in a stove top maker and I like it because it makes just the perfect amount for myself and its strong without being to bitter. I put the cream bottom of the cup add coffee, drink. Of course when I go to Caribou (like Starbucks, but I like it better) I have to put the cream in last as they give you the coffee black then you add sugar or cream.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
my morning ritual

1 empty coffee mug
add 1/4 cup French Vanilla Coffee Mate liquid
add 3/4 cup water
microwave on high for 77 seconds
add one teaspoon instant coffee
sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top
enjoy :cheers:

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj
Instant coffee tastes horrible!

My morning coffee ritual:

Curse self for not remembering to set timer the night before
Grind beans of lightly flavored coffee
Put in coffee maker and get that going
Put sugar and cream in two cups
Wait for coffee to finish
Pour coffee for me and my live-in lover

Using really cold milk/cream makes the coffee cooler, and I don't like that. Hence, I set it out for a bit.

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
mmmmmm coffee...............

NEVER instant.... no no no never instant.

Set up coffee maker night before, so it's ready for husband when he awake in the morning. Use Columbian Beans and grind then add to basket with cold water.

in morning take large 16oz coffee mug add 4tbsp international french vanilla and then add coffee, let cool sightly and enjoy.... mmmmm yes enjoy sweet wonderful coffee.

I don't like milk in my coffee only cream. If using cream and sugar, add sugar, then coffee then cream.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I have never heard of putting the milk in first. Can someone who does this explain what the advantage is?

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Now I've read things about how you should prepare the cup for coffee and the temperature of the water etc etc but one thing no one seems set on is milk first or second?

Now I mainly speak of the much maligned instant coffee here but the same works for "real" coffee too. Many seem unaware of the phenomena related to actually mixing coffee so I thought that this'd be a good place to go through some of it and see what you guys think.

Now firstly I've always used hot water. I mean just off the boil water. WE have a lot of tea drinkers around our house (well it is England after all) and I use the water pretty much straight after having poured theirs (unless I'm using the coffee machine thingy which uses water at some undefined temperature which I'm not going to measure unless it's vital). I've seen some people use it whilst it's boiling!! This is blasphemy and can often ruin a good cuppa.

Personally I put the milk in last. Some oddballs like to put it in first and this is where the main discrepancy lies because it seems that most people don't even know it changes the taste unless they try it "upside-down". Put milk in first and often you'll get a more milky taste to it, possibly because I find it more difficult to judge and presume that other's find it similarly difficult.

Another problem I find with other's making coffee is they treat it like tea. One or two swishes round with a spoon and they think that it's stirred. This ruins the reputation of instant coffee and can mess up a "real" cup of coffee somewhat too. Basically the more you stir instant coffee, the smoother cuppa you'll get.

So what's your little niggles and which way around do you do the milk?
Are there any authorities?

Oh and yes I totally expect a downpour of "real" coffee drinkers spitting etc but to them I say this, it take me about 30 seconds to make one cup. No filters, no mess, no having to make a pot for one cup. It's called convenience.

(Pre emptive strikes are fun :) )
First you have the water running. To have the water running you have to get up from your chair. Okay. Now get up. Then you have to walk to the kitchen. Wait. OK. I forgot to say that when you enter the kitchen you first have to switch the light on because you cannot see in the dark unless you are a cat.

Is the water running? Can you hear it?
Then you do not put water in the kettle. No no, you cannot be hasty. First you have to taste the water. If the water has been running an adequate time it is potable. No no, not the coffee. The water. The water is potable as water. All right.

Now the water in the kettle and the kettle on the stove. No no, you have no time to go back to your computing machine.
You have to because there is Raincrow007? No no! Get back to the kitchen! I do not care if it was the Pope.
Now you have to clean the filter and the jar. Hot water and soap. Yes, soap.
The water is boiling. OK. Balance the filter on the top of the jar and put the cappucino in there. Pour the water through the filter. When the water is in the jar open the fridge and get out the Greek gala. Heat the milk now on the stove.
Not too hot hot. Only hot.
Now you pour the milk. No no, not through the filter.

It is ready.

Before you drink it, brush your teeth. This is God's Nektar.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Okay well it seems I'm in a minority with the whole milk thing, though I'd suggest that if you use hot but not boiling water and then add milk it tastes a whole lot better.

As for instant versus "real", "real" coffee is okay but to me it's like chocolate cake. Chocolate cake is nice every once in a while but to have it regularly would just turn my stomach.

If I want a treat I have a pack of plain crisps (chips to the americans), call me odd but I prefer the savoury snacks to bar of chocolate or some sweets (candy to you jonnys :tongue10:).

Oh and don't judge instant on that Red Mountain rubbish nor Nescafe standard. That would be like judging real coffee when you scald the coffee and use the nastiest budget crap you can find. Try something with a little more flavour (personally I like the Nescafe Alta Rican but I like that kind of coffee).

Don't get me wrong I like the whole "real" stuff but when it comes to a workhorse kind of coffee I'll pick instant every time.

Now do you warm your mug first or do you leave it icy cold?

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
First you have the water running. To have the water running you have to get up from your chair. Okay. Now get up. Then you have to walk to the kitchen. Wait. OK. I forgot to say that when you enter the kitchen you first have to switch the light on because you cannot see in the dark unless you are a cat.

Is the water running? Can you hear it?
Then you do not put water in the kettle. No no, you cannot be hasty. First you have to taste the water. If the water has been running an adequate time it is potable. No no, not the coffee. The water. The water is potable as water. All right.

Now the water in the kettle and the kettle on the stove. No no, you have no time to go back to your computing machine.
You have to because there is Raincrow007? No no! Get back to the kitchen! I do not care if it was the Pope.
Now you have to clean the filter and the jar. Hot water and soap. Yes, soap.
The water is boiling. OK. Balance the filter on the top of the jar and put the cappucino in there. Pour the water through the filter. When the water is in the jar open the fridge and get out the Greek gala. Heat the milk now on the stove.
Not too hot hot. Only hot.
Now you pour the milk. No no, not through the filter.

It is ready.

Before you drink it, brush your teeth. This is God's Nektar.
You left RC007 waiting? And I thought you were a gentleman!

Certainly a brave man :D

Can't say I agree with the cappuccino, but each to their own. I'd get fed up very quickly with the whole heating milk AND water!!

Oh and as a side note, should those who like white coffee run out of milk, try a dash of cold tap water and stir well. It seems to take the edge off the coffee somewhat.

Vortex

MBTI Type
WOLF
I usually use instant, too. I'm usually way too lazy to make my coffee properly, but once in a while I will preheat my cup, warm and foam my milk, make proper coffee, etc. etc. Mostly I drink tea. I've got several drawers worth of tea to consume because I'm such a hoarder.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Instant coffee sucks in the US. Nescafe Gold in England is the only instant I will drink. I put the kettle on while boiling half a cup of milk until it's frothy. Add desired amount of sugar to your cup and mix with a heaping spoonful of Nescafe. Add half a cup of water, frothy milk and drink up. :)

Now for the real deal. My favorite coffee is Sumatra by Starbucks. I add my sugar to my mug, boil the milk until frothy, add a little more than half a cup of coffee, then add the milk/stir and drink :) If I'm in a hurry I just add cold milk after the sugar and coffee, although it's not as enjoyable.

I really don't see a better way other than making espresso in a machine which I find messy and time consuming.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
All that milk!!!!

Noooooo!!!!!!!

Talk about spoiling the sheer hit of the coffee! Less milk not more!

:D

(You can see why I get a bad reputation no? :) )

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
All that milk!!!!

Noooooo!!!!!!!

Talk about spoiling the sheer hit of the coffee! Less milk not more!

:D

(You can see why I get a bad reputation no? :) )

You haven't tried my coffee. It's very strong and doesn't have all that much milk in it and the half a cup of milk is for two servings. It's perfect really :)

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
You haven't tried my coffee. It's very strong and doesn't have all that much milk in it and the half a cup of milk is for two servings. It's perfect really :)
The perfect consistency coffee IMHO is Parisian. That should give you an idea of how I drink the stuff.

I keep getting suckered into ordering a double espresso thinking in my caffeine deprived state that some fantastic mug full of espresso will arrive only to find a pipette of half decent strength coffee. I found out that the ubiquitous Americano is supposed to be a full mug of espresso like strength only to find out it's espresso but watered down to fill the mug up!

Oh the trials I have with drinking coffee whilst out. I usually revert to Coke or Red Bull. Least if it's canned they can't water it down or mess it up. Hell even Starbucks seems to be a cup full of aroma and nothing else!

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
The perfect consistency coffee IMHO is Parisian. That should give you an idea of how I drink the stuff.

I keep getting suckered into ordering a double espresso thinking in my caffeine deprived state that some fantastic mug full of espresso will arrive only to find a pipette of half decent strength coffee. I found out that the ubiquitous Americano is supposed to be a full mug of espresso like strength only to find out it's espresso but watered down to fill the mug up!

Oh the trials I have with drinking coffee whilst out. I usually revert to Coke or Red Bull. Least if it's canned they can't water it down or mess it up. Hell even Starbucks seems to be a cup full of aroma and nothing else!

I love Breve's. There is a drive in coffee place near out house that makes it pretty well. Breve: Short for Espresso Breve. Espresso with half-n-half.

My Mother In Law is English and when she comes over for a visit she adds water to my coffee. I always tease her about it because she is too polite (or stubborn) to admit that it's too strong for her.

What brand of instant coffee do you prefer?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I only have one cup of coffee a day since it stains my teeth yellow,
and did you know caffeine depletes your calcium?

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I love Breve's. There is a drive in coffee place near out house that makes it pretty well. Breve: Short for Espresso Breve. Espresso with half-n-half.
Don't spose you can mail me one?

To be honest I've not yet found any place or person who makes coffee that I like as much as my own but I guess that's kinda predictable.