• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The heavenly nectar that is coffee...

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
I only have one cup of coffee a day since it stains my teeth yellow,
and did you know caffeine depletes your calcium?

Ever since I quit smoking this past May I whiten my teeth twice a week and take Viactiv once a day. I also drink one cup a day in the morning.

PS Starbucks in the UK isn't nearly as good as in the US according to my sources ;)

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I only have one cup of coffee a day since it stains my teeth yellow,
and did you know caffeine depletes your calcium?
Really?
Is this one of those old wives tales (or the new one's with scientists substituted for wives)? Sounds odd. Sounds like one of those thing the 'People's army against the usage of caffeine products' would say. :)

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Really?
Is this one of those old wives tales (or the new one's with scientists substituted for wives)? Sounds odd. Sounds like one of those thing the 'People's army against the usage of caffeine products' would say. :)

Right and cell phones can cause brain tumors. My Mother is always giving me secondhand advice on how to combat certain ailments. I can't keep up so I just tell myself to do things in moderation and I will hopefully live a long and healthy life, unless I get hit by a bus. :huh:

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Right and cell phones can cause brain tumors. My Mother is always giving me secondhand advice on how to combat certain ailments. I can't keep up so I just tell myself to do things in moderation and I will hopefully live a long and healthy life, unless I get hit by a bus. :huh:
Wouldn't living a long life kinda preclude living a healthy life?
I mean if you live to be 150 then some things probably aren't going to work right and isn't that the defining point of healthy? :)

Oh and I almost never listen to advice like that unless I understand how it does it. Then I measure my want for the vice versus the not wanting the consequence.

So far I've done brilliantly. I still smoke and can't stop biting my finger nails :D

Oh well....

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Wouldn't living a long life kinda preclude living a healthy life?
I mean if you live to be 150 then some things probably aren't going to work right and isn't that the defining point of healthy? :)

Oh and I almost never listen to advice like that unless I understand how it does it. Then I measure my want for the vice versus the not wanting the consequence.

So far I've done brilliantly. I still smoke and can't stop biting my finger nails :D

Oh well....

I'd like to live long enough to see my children grow up to be happy well adjusted people and enjoy my grandchildren. :) I think I'd be happy living until my early 80's. The moon on a golden stick would be nice as well. :D

I don't know how old you are, but when I turned 38 this year I decided that I needed to lead a healthier life. I wasn't getting any younger and cancer does run in my family.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I'd like to live long enough to see my children grow up to be happy well adjusted people and enjoy my grandchildren. :) I think I'd be happy living until my early 80's. The moon on a golden stick would be nice as well. :D

I don't know how old you are, but when I turned 38 this year I decided that I needed to lead a healthier life. I wasn't getting any younger and cancer does run in my family.
Only thirty (says he pointing and laughing at the wrinkly) :)

Oh and the only scions I intend to have are pups (when I can figure out how to get out of this working malarky and actually get a dog that is).

Still can you think what you'd drink if you had to give up coffee to be healthy? I mean I like the green & black tea I drink on occasions but as a permanent substitute it'd suck!

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
I have never heard of putting the milk in first. Can someone who does this explain what the advantage is?

It makes the coffee taste better. Even if it does make it more difficult to dissolve the coffee granules. When using Coffee Mate instead of milk I will put some cold water in with the coffee/coffee mate first (doesn't need much), stir it around, add the hot water, stir again, then add cold water to achieve desired temperature.

Tip: when using soy milk instead of milk, you MUST put the milk in first or let the boiled water cool off for ~5mins otherwise the soy milk cooks or something and clots in a very unappetizing way.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Really?
"Reduce consumption of caffeine (it depletes calcium and magnesium), simple or refined sugars (also depletes calcium and lowers bone density)..."
Osteoporosis

"A harmful side-effect of caffeine consumption is a decrease in the amount of calcium in the body. According to the American Dietetic Association, teens who drink coffee are probably drinking smaller amounts of milk. Also, caffeine depletes the body's already stored calcium."
Paly Voice: Caffeine studies show harmful effects of teen coffee culture

For INTPs

"The caffeine-induced [Ca2+]i transient is an index of the Ca2+ content in the SR because caffeine depletes the SR of Ca2+ (18, 19, 31, 35)."
Calcium homeostasis in rat cardiomyocytes during chronic hypoxia: a time course study -- Pei et al. 285 (6): C1420 -- AJP - Cell Physiology

"The maximally effective caffeine concentration fully depletes the noradrenaline-sensitive Ca store as found from both contraction and 45Ca efflux experiments."
The effects of caffeine on the noradrenaline-sensitive calcium store in rabbit aorta.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Some quick coffee stuff...

Thanks, JivinJeff. I rarely drink instant, but next time I do I will try that. Notaprettygal's reason makes sense too.

I find Starbucks' regular drip coffee always tastes burned, but I enjoy their espresso drinks. I like the Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf chain much better.

But the best espresso drinks I've ever had in my life are at Caffe Artigiano in Vancouver. And it's not even close. The foam on the cappucino is like velvet. If you love coffee and you ever find yourself in Vancouver, put it at the top of your list of things to do.

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I put the milk in first and last with lattes (lulz I really, really like milk). In all other cases, I put it in last.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
A quart a day. It's good for the spirit.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Ever notice how any thread on coffee is popular?
I gotta wonder if anyone who frequents forums drinks anything else!
:)

raincrow007

MBTI Type
INTP
You left RC007 waiting? And I thought you were a gentleman!

Certainly a brave man :D

He's a gentleman of the old-fashioned sort. ;)

It figures my name would turn up in a thread about coffee. But y'know, there's a real easy way to solve this whole milk dilemma -- just drink it black, fer cryin' out loud. :rolleyes:

:coffee:

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP

It figures my name would turn up in a thread about coffee. But y'know, there's a real easy way to solve this whole milk dilemma -- just drink it black, fer cryin' out loud. :rolleyes:

Black?
Kind of hard.. but there is a way.

Not Cafe Beaubourg. Ever.
Not La Deauville.
Not Cafe de Flore.

Try Le Fouquet's.
They regularly run out of milk after midnight.
99 des Champs.

Just a block off the crossing of Rue de Balzac and Rue Lord Byron.

raincrow007

MBTI Type
INTP
Black?
Kind of hard.. but there is a way.

Not Cafe Beaubourg. Ever.
Not La Deauville.
Not Cafe de Flore.

Try Le Fouquet's.
They regularly run out of milk after midnight.
99 des Champs.

Just a block off the crossing of Rue de Balzac and Rue Lord Byron.

Noted. But in case I gave the wrong impression -- I don't always take my coffee black. Sometimes it's just easier than lamenting the fact that the right materials aren't on hand for a really good cup with all the frills. ;)

Sometimes I'm oddly practical like that.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Precisely. Oh I see you mean he's unaware of the danger and hence innocent. Gotcha.
It figures my name would turn up in a thread about coffee.
Addictive...check.
Keeps you awake at night....check.
Bad for your health and apparently teeth.....check, check.

I'm surprised you even mentioned it. It's elementary dear bird.
:smile:
But y'know, there's a real easy way to solve this whole milk dilemma -- just drink it black, fer cryin' out loud. :rolleyes:
With a dash of cold water. That can make all the difference.

Oh and this does work but only short term I find. For some reason black coffee has a more profound impact. Must be something to do with the lack of emulsifiers or something.
You forgot the portrait of you leaping to attention and hammering the keyboard. Couldn't find a smiley for that huh?
:)

563 740

MBTI Type
ENTP
But y'know, there's a real easy way to solve this whole milk dilemma -- just drink it black, fer cryin' out loud. :rolleyes:

:yes:

Noted. But in case I gave the wrong impression -- I don't always take my coffee black. Sometimes it's just easier than lamenting the fact that the right materials aren't on hand for a really good cup with all the frills. ;)

Sometimes I'm oddly practical like that.

:cry:

Am I the only one who insists it be as black as the night itself??