• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Kitty has fleas!!

Nyx

Ugh, my little kitten has fleas and they won't go away! I have vacuumed all the carpets and changed sheets etc and given him a flea treatment, but they keep coming back! I really don't want to give him a flea bath... :( What should I do?

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
use the good stuff for flee treatment (advange or frontline plus) and flea spay bomb the house. Also hear there is an oral pill vets can give cats to stop fleas .

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^the man knows his stuff, though that treatment is for when you have an invasion of fleas :D

Depending on how bad it is, you can give your kitty frontline (check with the vet for sure that it's compatible with the other shit you gave him already!), and let her walk through the entire house, so the fleas can jump on her (they will, they need her). Realize this can take up to a week or two as you have eggs hatching and stuff. Vaccuuming will help shorten this period.

A flea bomb would take care of the fleas in the house, and frontline would take care of the fleas on your cat. If your kitty is covered in fleas, the oral treatment he suggested can help make eggs stay eggs instead of turning into fleas, eliminating the waiting time to get rid of the problem as well. An adult flea lives about 48 hours, so that would rid you of your problem in about two days instead of 10 days. Up to you to see how bad the situation is and how annoyed you are (all these things don't come cheap..):D

What I'm wondering though, is ....does your cat go out of the house? And, if so, are there many strays around? Coz, that could be why the other product you're using 'isn't working'. If she keeps getting fleas from others, you can treat her till the cows come home, but it aint going to work. You'll have to eliminate the flea problem in the stray cat colony, by using the oral medication.

Good luck ;)

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
Clean all the furniture with the vacuum, get every corner and crevice in the house where the cat has been. Wash any fabric that can be. Mop any hard surfaces. Make sure to not forget window sills. Invest in a 3 month supply of Frontline or Advantage. And you might invest in a flea spray with a short half life(Pyrethrin) to get the corners and crevices with.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
What I'm wondering though, is ....does your cat go out of the house? And, if so, are there many strays around? Coz, that could be why the other product you're using 'isn't working'. If she keeps getting fleas from others, you can treat her till the cows come home, but it aint going to work. You'll have to eliminate the flea problem in the stray cat colony, by using the oral medication.

Good luck ;)

:yes:

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Give him a bath in tomato juice! He will only hate you temporarily. :D

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I remember the days before front line every year we'd take preventive measures and every year we would have a flea infestation and I don't remember how we got rid of the fleas on the cats but we always had to flea bomb the house. though I use to love catching fleas i would sit their picking fleas off my self bedding and kitty then killing them one by one.Then one time after frontline or advantix for some reason the fleas my kitty caught were immune so we switched to the other one.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No I don't! Stop spreading lies about me! :cry:

Oh, Nyx has a kitty that has fleas, Ok... Kind of funny, with a name like that you'd think the bugs would stay away. Then again, that treatment is for lice, not feas. :D

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Ugh, my little kitten has fleas and they won't go away! I have vacuumed all the carpets and changed sheets etc and given him a flea treatment, but they keep coming back! I really don't want to give him a flea bath... :( What should I do?

Oh noes!!!!
Take the kitty with you somewhere for a few hours, and set several flea bombs to kill all the little buggers. Then give your kitteh a bath as soon as you come back.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, you definitely want to get a spray for your house to kill all those little buggers and their eggs hiding about the carpets n' crevices. They seem to multiply like crazy.

Few yrs back, I picked up fleas off a stray I used to feed regularly [how embarassing.. for some people, ha].. they were all in my bed, clothes, hair, and everything within a week. Including my indoor cat, poor guy. They seem to just keep coming back until you adequately poison the shit out of your house. I just got a nondescript can of fleaspray at Walmart & it was pretty effective.

Good luck!

Nyx

Good luck ;)

No he stays in the house, he had fleas when I got him several months ago. I only see one or two fleas on him now. It's so persistent because I have been taking the usual measures against it and giving him Advantage which is supposed to be good...and they still come back every month.

I really don't have time to vacuum and flea bomb every corner of the house because I'm bogged down with work and college stuff. Does it really matter if he has a couple fleas?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Capstar will kill all fleas currently on the cat. A monthly like Frontline (I think I used Program since I could get it in oral form) will keep them from coming back. This got rid of a serious flea infestation on my cat. And you can buy these medications online.

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I had good luck killing fleas with borax (boric acid). You can probably find a box of 20 Mule Team laundry detergent (main ingredient is borax) or something similar at Walmart. Keep your kitty out of the room until you're done applying the borax. Here's an article that explains how to apply it: Flea Control With Boric Acid
It's a bit of work, but it lasts a long time and is less toxic than most treatments. It's worth the time and trouble because a couple of fleas can become many, many fleas very easily if your current treatments aren't working well. Good luck!

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
I had good luck killing fleas with borax (boric acid). You can probably find a box of 20 Mule Team laundry detergent (main ingredient is borax) or something similar at Walmart. Keep your kitty out of the room until you're done applying the borax. Here's an article that explains how to apply it: Flea Control With Boric Acid
It's a bit of work, but it lasts a long time and is less toxic than most treatments. It's worth the time and trouble because a couple of fleas can become many, many fleas very easily if your current treatments aren't working well. Good luck!

I forgot about that. :shock:

And it does work pretty well.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
...You could always have a Mr. Bigglesworth kitteh. :whistling: