• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Eating Cheaply

WoodsWoman

MBTI Type
INFP
Are you talking long term cheap or just get through college cheap? If long term look into the various preparedness info available and make modifications to suit your needs. I have a pantry with 5 gallon buckets (2 will hold 50 lbs of most grains in their various forms) of oatmeal, oat bran, brown basmati rice and spelt flour... enough - you get the idea.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
if you like fish buy canned tuna, salmon, sardines, etc because it's cheaper than buying fresh meat...you can make tuna fish sandwiches, or turn the salmon into salmon patties (with an egg, some dry bread or cracker crumbs, and maybe an onion...onions last a while, btw, you can keep an onion in the fridge to add flavor to various things)

Eggs - poached eggs are really healthy, and if you like scrambled eggs or omelettes with cheese buy cheese when it's on sale: unopened packages of cheese last for MONTHS in your fridge (just be sure to check the expiration date) so you can buy cheese in bulk when you find it at a low price

Of course everyones already said beans (you can try different types of beans) and rice and oatmeal and ramen

peanut butter

soup

canned vegtables

spaghetti without meat is very cheap, because you can stock up on the pasta and the tomato sauce and just cook it maybe with a little butter or olive oil if you like

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Also, I'd like to add that if you can't stand ramen, you can technically live off of bread (whole grain is best, or wheat at least) and milk for a couple of days...you can also put milk and sugar in rice so you don't get bored with eating it with beans all of the time

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Some of the suggestions here are *cheap* certainly, but also maybe because I'm old and ornery, stuff like Rice-a-Roni and canned sardines, I would not call edible for long periods of time.

1. There is nothing cheap (or edible) about instant oatmeal compared to real oatmeal (and it's just as fast). Quick oats take 90 secs in the microwave. Awesome. Like said before, grains are cheap: oats, rice, etc.
2. Beans. Very nutritious. Dried beans are cheaper than canned beans.
3. Produce. While Costco and Sam's Club deals are cheap- I'm not sure it's such a great deal unless you can actual consume their giant quantities. I cannot. So I stick to what's in season. Fruits especially freeze very well, so I can wait for the good sales. Comparison shop! Know lots of markets and look at the prices and you will begin to see what is truly a deal and what is a scam. (Personally, I interchange between going out to supermarkets, like Safeway, Asian supermarkets, and smaller local markets.)
3b. Vegetables. I would not actually recommend canned vegetables for anything except corn. Frozen is an option (and is super-easy to prepare). Depends on what you like/what's available in your area. Here what I see is cheapest is cabbage, green beans. and all types of very green leafy stuff (on choy, mustard, etc).
4. Cook for yourself. Eating out is not cheap. Period. Cafeterias and supermarket (see above point) delis are also cheapish (here they give you deli coupons when you spend money at the supermarket).
5. Do not be overwhelmed by big chunks of uncooked meat. Pork shoulder/butt/"natural ribs" regularly go under $1.29/lb. Whole chicken goes $.70/lb. It's more work maybe than you might be willing to go to, but I think it's worth it. You can start with soup. It's very hard to mess up soup.
6. Everything marmalade sunshine said: eggs, peanut butter, pasta (a jar of pasta sauce goes a long way- canned plain tomato sauce is even cheaper and great if you like to embellish), etc.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Probably the cheapest way to go is to buy grains/nuts/dried fruit in the bulk aisle of your grocery store.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
Kraft dinner was invented for a reason.

Also, water.

And spices.

Seriously, I'm living on a rather tight budget myself right now (about $200 per month for food).

This basically means about $5-7 per day for 3 meals... not easy to do.

Limit meat usage, increase the use of juice, pasta, cereal, etc, and it's quite low cost. Cereal especially I've noticed that a single box of cereal for like $7, can last a good ~10-20 meals usually if yeu buy the larger bulk boxes.

BULK - seriously, buy everything in larger quantities. Sure it's more expencive upfront, but it's cheaper in the long run. Get large amounts of stuff for the discounted pricing on anything that lasts awhile.

Also, buy non-name brand stuff; sure it may not taste as good alot of the time, but sometimes it actually tastes BETTER, yet costs a good 1/3rd less often.

Frozen "mix it yeurself" juice is also a good way to get several liters of drink for under a dollar.

Make abusive use of bulk food stores, dollar stores, and anything similar.

Spices are yeur friends; they're dirt cheap and can turn even a sub-par meal into a very tasty one quickly. Oregano's a personal favorite, but for the cost vs amount actually used to flavour things, I think cayenne may be the winner.

Organic foods really aren't that good for yeu and are often twice the price of normal stuff; stick to regular veggies; they're generally healthier, have more vitamins, have less toxins in them, and are cheaper.

If yeu aren't diabetic (unfortunately I am), yeu can get away with junk foods too; healthy food's expencive, junk food's cheap in comparison. Unless yeu're comparing it to pasta... there's not too many things I've found that can out-price pasta. A single box of like $2.17 here is good for about 5 meals or so. Hard to beat that pricing!

Unless yeu drink water. Then it's free. But water is bleh. Especially since the stuff here tastes like pool water due to how much chlorine they've pumped into it >.<

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Pound of lentils (a whole $1.29 here for brown lentils, it's better with red, but red are a lot more expensive), water, lots of cumin, cayenne and turmeric. Cook for a long while. Eat it for a few meals.

Anyone want to tell me HOW to make pintos and rice. I don't really like pintos but I want to at least try it. My kids like kidney beans and pinto beans. GROSS!

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Anyone want to tell me HOW to make pintos and rice. I don't really like pintos but I want to at least try it. My kids like kidney beans and pinto beans. GROSS!

1. Make rice
2. Get pinto beans from a can
3. Mix

:D

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

I mean, thanks, maybe I'll try that with my kids. No spices?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just add butter and salt like I would if I were eating normal rice.

Yeah, I'd say just eat it like you were eating rice alone, put whatever you want in it. The beans basically just add some texture and make you fill up quicker. They don't really taste like anything.

For me, I take one cup of rice and make it, then that seems to mix perfectly with the amount of beans that a 16 oz can has in it.

Why is it disgusting? :D

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Cause I dont like beans with that texture (kidney or pinto) I'm trying to get used to them. I didn't used to like onions or peppers either.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
I was intending to make an internet blog on the subject. Don't go stealing my idea! :p

Anyway, here are some of the cheapest things I have found for nutritional food that will keep you full and give you the most nutrient bang for your buck (ie, not just empty calories). This also takes into account what things are usually on sale, and the relative nutrient density of the foods compared to price.

Ok, so rice, beans, and pasta are very good foods. Almost always cheap, not too hard to cook. Fresh pasta/rice or recipe mixes that come in the box are best. $1~$1.50 per box of ricearoni or cheaper brand. As for beans, by FARRRRRRR the least expensive method is to buy them RAW/DRY. Don't buy canned, buy the dry beans and cook them. It's far cheaper that way, as you can often get beans at less than $1 per pound, which is enough to make over 6 cups of cooked beans (like 3 cans worth). Learn how to cook raw beans, rice, and pastas. Buying your beans and grains from stores that have bulk bins often means getting them for much cheaper as well.

Now that we have carbs covered, lets move on to meat shall we?

The cheapest forms of meat (calories/protein per pound of meat) are, hands down, chicken and pork. You would do well to explore all cuts of meat depending how much you have to spend, as one animal has many different cuts that come at varying prices. On the whole, pork and chicken are always the least expensive. The cheapest parts of the chicken are the leg, thighs, and wings of course, often under $1.50 per pound. Chicken breasts are the most expensive parts, but are also much denser in protein content. In other words, less meat will fill you up more if it's denser, so it's often better to go after chicken breasts if you can find them on sale at a comparable price to the dark meat. In the end you'll save more money and your food will last longer.

As for pork, the cheapest cuts are the pork shoulder/butt, sometimes called Boston butt. This is a large cut of meat that stretches along the back of the animal from the shoulders down. It is a tender cut that can have a lot of fat strewn through it, hence the cheap price. However, the fat can often be cut right off before and after cooking (and if you're really struggling for food, you wont mind the fat anyway ;) ). This is comparable to what you'd call dark meat on the pig, and as such, it's the perfect cheap man's meat. It is really easy to find it for $1~$1.50 per pound. A big ass chunk of pure meat 10 pound in weight will last you for WEEKS and cost you only $10 or so. You cannot beat that! It's best to slow roast it so that it is cooked to tender perfection. (This is where I'd insert recipes on a blog, but I'm gonna be brief here).

Then there are also the other pork cuts that are still cheaper than most beef cuts, such as the pork loin (NOT to be confused with the TENDERloin). This is a light meat from the lower back area that is smaller and tougher than the butt, and has much much less fat. However, if you like that in your meat, go after the loin. The tenderloin is the very expensive cut of meat adjacent to the loin. Although it is perfectly moist and tender, as the name suggests, it is too expensive for this convo ;) .

And you can apply the same method to other animals and their cuts of meat. Don't just get stuck at picking up a steak, if you want beef, look around and find the CHEAPEST CUTS! It's still the same animal, just with varying textures that will save you many dollars!

Now on to fruits and vegies.

When buying vegies, I buy frozen. You can get a good pack of vegetables for like a buck out of the freezer section. Broccoli is always a great vegetable, as well as spinach. Very nutrient dense. When you want to go fresh, buy whatever you want, but try to stick with what's in season and/or on sale. You'll get the best quality for as cheap as possible. Since different vegies have so many different uses, it's really a matter of what you want and how much you want to pay for it at the time.

With fruits, I pretty much never buy them unless they are on sale. Every week your store will have a list of items that are on sale. I cannot stress enough that you will save yourself sooooo much time and money if you just look up your local stores online (they often have websites) and check their weekly specials. You'd be amazed at how efficient you can become at identifying what is out for pennies on the dollar every week. Know what you want from the store, see if it's on sale, and make plans to go there when its most convenient. All fruits have pretty similar nutrient profiles, so out of a selection of fruit that is on sale at the... $1 per pound price range, I just choose whatever fruits I like from that group for the week. If there aren't any fruits I like that are on sale, then I just skip it. Which brings me to another point...

BUY IT UP! If you notice something you eat a lot of is on sale, buy a lot of it! There are many ways to store fresh food so that it lasts longer, and boxed/canned good will outlast you anyway. There's no excuse not to overbuy on stuff that is on sale if you have the cash, and you know you're going to use it up. You will save yourself TONS of money by stocking up on food this way. If you notice fruit or vegies on sale for a ridiculously low price, figure out if there are any good ways to store/preserve those particular items, and then go for grab.

Ok, so then there are other food like nuts. Nuts are VERY good for you. They are mainly fat and protein with lots of vitamins and minerals, so they like little nutrient packs that have a nice calorie density too. That's good, because you want to buy as little food as possible with as much nutrition as possible! So nuts are your friends on a "poor man's diet". The rule of thumb for nuts, however, is NEVER buy them at full price. They can be pretty expensive (save for peanuts). However, around here they often go on sale for less than half the usual price, which is the time to really bulk up on the reserves you have at home. I always buy walnuts and almonds as my favs. They're usually $7 or more per pound, but sometimes go on sale for less than $4 per pound, which is when I buy a big bag of the things. Then, to keep them fresh, I store them in a ziplock bag in the freezer. Again, for rice, grains, beans, and nuts, bulk bin stores are your dearest friend. Big warehouse stores are also good for such items if you want to buy very large quantities at one time for much cheaper.

Then there are the other foods like bread and eggs. For bread, go with whole grain. Whole grain has more nutrients and fiber, which means it'll keep you full. Fiber filled foods are good for you, and get rid of hunger. It just means more food for later, fewer dollars spent. Eggs are always inexpensive. Spend some time learning the many things you can do with eggs ( for eating, not throwing ;) ) .

Potatoes! CANNOT forget potatoes! These things can be UBER cheap (they have 10 pound bags of potatoes on sale for ONE DOLLAR at my local store this week), they pack a lot of carbs and nutrition to fill you up, and can be cooked any number of ways. They are awesome poor people food. The Irish didn't rely on them for nothing ;) . Plus they will survive in your pantry for a very long time.

Since by my methods you'll be doing a lot of cooking, you'll also want a lot of spices. The best way to go about getting these is to buy them from stores that allow you to scoop it up and pack it yourself (like bulk bin stores). Farmer's market type things. This is way way way cheaper than buying the jarred spices in most grocery stores which are far overpriced. If you can't do that, then I surmise buying your spices online would be very inexpensive as well. You want to be spending most of your money on food that actually gives you energy, not on the stuff that makes it taste good.

When you have a sweet tooth, avoid candy. Candy is expensive shit. Go after cookies, cakes, the baked good stuff. That's more of my personal preference, but it is also cheaper. You can go into the baking/cooking aisle and pick up a brownie mix for like $2~$3, that makes you an entire pan of sweet chocolaty goodness for uber cheap! And it's fresh! Rinse and repeat for cake and cookie mixes. Those are the absolute cheapest ways to get your sweet fix of baked goods, just bake them yourself from a box. For other sweet things, just look for junk that's on sale and go after it. It depends what you want, and how much you wanna spend.

Junk food is high in calories, so at least it'll satisfy your hunger, although it gives you no other nutrients in return. In the end, you only end up craving more food to fill that void in your gut from all those empty calories. Going as cheap as possible with wholesome food is the best route to saving money. learning how to cook will be your salvation. Relying on fast food will be to your detriment. You pay like... $4~$5 for ONE sandwich at most fast food joints when you could be using the same amount of money from store bought food that will last you the entire day! It makes no sense not to buy from the store and cook for yourself! I can get away with about $50 A WEEK for store bought foods that I cook myself, and eat like a king (less than that really, I just splurge on some things because i have the leftover cash)! You just have to be smart about what you buy and adjust your habits a bit.

So that's just a tidbit of the wealth of knowledge I have on the subject. Can't give it all away ;) .

WoodsWoman

MBTI Type
INFP
I'd highly recommend a selection of herbs and spices - these go a long way in keeping one's diet from becoming dull.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm eating cup noodles right now. Good stuff!

Curious1

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w5
Risen, thank you for sharing your knowledge! I am going to use these ideas at the store this week :eek:)

Curious1

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w5
Cup Noodles

haha, my INTJ hubby eats that salty goodness and buys in bulk. He thinks because there are flecks of orange (apparently carrots but I'm not convinced) and peas that it constitutes a well-rounded meal. I only get mad as hell when I've made a great dinner and he, automatically like a robot, opens the cabinet and picks that stuff out for dinner :azdaja:

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
haha, my INTJ hubby eats that salty goodness and buys in bulk. He thinks because there are flecks of orange (apparently carrots but I'm not convinced) and peas that it constitutes a well-rounded meal. I only get mad as hell when I've made a great dinner and he, automatically like a robot, opens the cabinet and picks that stuff out for dinner :azdaja:
And he's right. I just finished eating my cup noodles about half an hour ago with the peas and carrots. Makes for an amazing meal plus it's cheap.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Pound of lentils (a whole $1.29 here for brown lentils, it's better with red, but red are a lot more expensive), water, lots of cumin, cayenne and turmeric. Cook for a long while. Eat it for a few meals.

Just try lot of different beans. I'm not a fan of kidney or pinto beans, but I find a good replacement is cannellini beans, or black eyes. They are all a bit different.

Also (and this works for me at least).. swap out some of the beans for finely chopped cheap canned potatoes. Surprisingly good.