• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does anyone know how to make soap?

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
I want to learn how to make my own natural soap. I currently use Chagrin Valley's Goat Milk Honey Oatmeal soap and the results are phenomenal, but I decided last week that I need a new hobby :huh: and because $6 for a bar of soap is kinda pricey.

Is there a "soap kit" that I can buy somewhere? Explain yourselves!

LEGERdeMAIN

yes, I do know how to make soap! I don't use oatmeal though, that's just weird. I'm guessing you already figured out one method, thanks to nebbykoo. my work is done here.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
It's been awhile since I made it.

This is about the closest thing to the recipe I used. Very simple. It's a very mild castile. The trickiest thing I dealt with was getting the soap out of my homemade molds. If you're going to spend money on equipment, that would be one of the better places to do so, IMO.

Palm and coconut oils make the soap more sudsy, but they can also have a drying effect.

LEGERdeMAIN

It's been awhile since I made it.

This is about the closest thing to the recipe I used. Very simple. It's a very mild castile. The trickiest thing I dealt with was getting the soap out of my homemade molds. If you're going to spend money on equipment, that would be one of the better places to do so, IMO.

Palm and coconut oils make the soap more sudsy, but they can also have a drying effect.

Olive oil is okay, I use almond oil and dendritic salt, the texture reminds me of lava soap without the pumice.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
If people could make soap, why would they buy it?

But anyway... I've heard that there are cheaper powders you can use instead of soap.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I let my dog lick me clean each day.
It costs me nothing. :thelook:

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Olive oil is okay, I use almond oil and dendritic salt, the texture reminds me of lava soap without the pumice.
Sounds nice, but pricey. Is it sudsy and gentle?
If people could make soap, why would they buy it?
The process involves a chemical reaction that creates a caustic base at high temps, takes awhile to make, and has to cure for a few weeks. Kind of a pain in the behind.

If you consider the cost of your time, it's probably quite a bit cheaper to buy a cheap bar of soap than to make it yourself. Unless you are on food stamps and can basically get the oil for free. Or save your meat drippings or something.

LEGERdeMAIN

Sounds nice, but pricey. Is it sudsy and gentle?

It's a little bit pricey, but you can get a gallon for $30-50 online.

It's very gentle and it doesn't leave a thick residue, very refreshing.

Nyx

A very effective soap can be made from ashes and tallow.

Some primitive tribes used to find that their clothes would get a lot cleaner if they washed them in a certain spot in the river. This was because they were burning carcasses up stream, and dumping the waste in, causing the ashes/tallow to be deposited down stream :)

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap will hold you over until you make your own. They have one that will make the entire neighborhood smell like peppermint, but it makes your entire body feel cool in the summer.

Nyx

Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap will hold you over until you make your own. They have one that will make the entire neighborhood smell like peppermint, but it makes your entire body feel cool in the summer.

I love Dr. Bronners! It's the only thing I use for cleaning anything, actually. I'm not really sure about how to make castile soap, but it cleans better than any artificial surfactants out there.

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
I love Dr. Bronners! It's the only thing I use for cleaning anything, actually. I'm not really sure about how to make castile soap, but it cleans better than any artificial surfactants out there.

I hear you can use it for laundry, do you know if that is true?

Nyx

That's one thing I have not tried yet, I don't know how effective it would be... here are the dilutions they suggest :
For the laundry, use 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup for one regular load; adjust as needed depending on hardness of water. I've been told that adding a dash of baking soda makes it even better.

I have a friend who uses castile soap for laundry purposes, so I am assuming it should work.